5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing Solitude
I came by this Cd by accident. Having raved about a lost version of Tracy Chapman's CD, my boyfreind went out and bought me "New Beginning".
Published on 27 Dec 2008 by Lulu M

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as original
A good CD but none of her music will be as good as the original CD - worth a listen though
Published on 15 July 2010 by Naccolt1

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing Solitude, 27 Dec 2008
Lulu M (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)
It was probably the 1st Cd I've put on where I lay back in bed and listened to the whole Cd without interruption and I've since found if you put it on with friends whilst relaxing or doing something non-stressful, the tone of the music and the softness of the lyrics lull you into calmness.
Tracy is ultimately a unique singer but her songwriting and musical compostion are first rate also.
Years after hearing this album I got to see her live in a theatre where only her voice and selection of guitars played only by her enchanted and filled the whole arena for 1 1/2 hours. She is the person who live sounds most like her CD's- no electronics, no voice altering, no echoing- just pure soul, folk, magic- whatever way you want to describe her.
In terms of New Beginning there is an argument to the fact that one song leads into another. This is not to say that they all sound similar, it's just the pure brilliance of their composition helps one song move seamlessly into the next.
My personal favourite is "At this point in my life", which will long transport me back to a time in my life, which is what the power of music does. In essence though, to put this Cd on is akin to taking a deep breath, snuggling up on a cushioned chair and letting the words and music drift over you, nourishing the soul and leaving you feeling relaxed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is so full of stories, soul and beauty, perfect!, 11 Oct 2001
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)
This album is slightly different in my opinion to other Tracy Chapman albums. The sound is somehow richer with more elaborate arrangement adding to the natural beauty of her songs. The use of srings and piano arrangenments makes songs like "The Promise" stunning, probably my favourite Tracy song ever. The voice and the story telling are the same as ever but this album benefits from a fuller sound and longer tracks which take you through a whole series of emotions. I believe this is a key album to add to your collection, perfect for any mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of all tracy chapman albums, 13 Aug 2009
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)
So many of my favorite tracy chapman songs are in this album, i personally think its one of her best albums to date. From the lyrical and poignant genius of "remember the tin man", to the very understated sounds of "heavens here on earth" which has a great message of appreciating what we have on this earth.
"smoke and ashes" sounds like a song of some she loved who was maybe a free spirit. more so than she expected. "cold feet" also is another storycal song of a man who tried to better himself for him amd his family, only to squander all his hard work on one mistake. "Im ready" is almost like a mantra and the sound of it sticks with for a long time after the song has ended. "give me one reason" has a great sound to it and is quite a "girl power" kind of song haha.
As you can tell I have listened to this album quite frequently and will continue to do so. Just because it sounds great.
Definately one of her best albums

5.0 out of 5 stars Real soul albulm - Deep stuff, 26 Oct 2000
Ian R. Wylie - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)
There is a word to describe this albulm - beautiful. It is a real deep albulm, it inspires things deep sown in your soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad songs played beautifully., 16 Dec 2014
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)
Demonstrates what an excellent singer/songwriter/player that Tracy really is. Not a poor track on this hour-long album. A lot of very poignant lyrics and excellent social comment - "Rape of the World" and "Remember the Tin Man" particularly bring a lump to the throat every time. Gentle, sensitive arrangements with quite a large helping of melancholly throughout the music and vocals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Voice, 24 May 2014
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)
We bought three of Tracy Chapman's CD and we think they are great, we bought it on the back of one we already had - so all I can say is if you like her style, it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the Chapman, 21 April 2014
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)
Love this album, I Just needed it in CD format as only had it on tape which I know is so outdated lol!, however I think this is her best work and is just such a fab album and will certainly be staying in my music library.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Beginning Tracey Chapman, 21 Oct 2013
Mrs. Debbie Martin (Kent , UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)
I have loved the music from this artist for many years the words to her songs mean something I think this lady should get more recognition for her music she appeals to all generations it was through one of my daughters that I was originally introduced to her, I have all her CDs a truly amazing artist Tracey Chapman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Tracy Chapman, 9 April 2013
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)
Tracy performs with all her usual finesse, that gloriously smoky voice and moody backings. Great music for in the car !

5.0 out of 5 stars By far her best., 16 Mar 2011
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)
This is by far Tracy's best album.

All of the songs, though long, are never overlong. They're epic yet never outstay their welcome.

Highlights include New Begininning, Smoke and Ashes, Heaven's Here on Earth, and of couse the heartwrenching The Promise.
Amazing stuff.