Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 13 June 2001
There really is something for everyone on this record. From the quasi-flamenco on Rosalita, to the poppy Rhythm and Blues Alibi, to the driving rock in California. It buzzes with life, the playing is excellent all round and the joy of hearing not 1, but 3, good singers is exceptional. It doesn't hit you with quite the same exuberance as Bring It On, but is every bit as durable.
on 10 July 2002
I find it wierd that the review for this record states that Gomez five members don't have "an original idea between them" whilst that for new album "In Our Gun" calls them the most inventive British band of the past decade. Wierd.
Which is nearer the truth I couldn't possibly say. Certainly Gomez are unlike anyone I come across today in my adventures in building a record collection, but then every band is influenced by other bands before them. The only way not to be would be to write a record having heard no music before ever.
No, what is called originality today is when bands mix influences. And what I hear from the 3 Gomez records is that they do just this, and they are particularly good at it. Blues, country, cool jazz and good old southern rock and as many other influences are here in varying measures making each track sound different but unmistakably Gomez. There are also some fantastic arrangements, aswell as one of the best vocal parts around today (although I can see that Ben Ottewell's gravel voice is an acquired taste).
The end results is a laid back, bluesy, record that grows on you no end until you cant get them out of your head. Best tracks for me are "revolutionary kind", "we haven't turned around", "rhythm and blues alibi" and the epic "California". I'd recommend it to all who like their music laid back, quirky enough to keep your attention but not too quirky to alienate everyone, and who has a weakness for the blues. Great Stuff.
on 19 October 2008
Bring it on was an incredible debut from Gomez. Most bands fail to match or exceed expectations in this scenario, and Gomez, in my opinion are no exception.. But they have come so darn close, and have stepped in a different direction, which is probably what baited the critics.

It's not an album you can get into straight away, and as I always say, the best albums always take many many listens to appreciate to their entirety.

We haven't and still won't get another indie album that rivals the quality of this or 'Bring It On' for a long time to come.
on 29 July 2000
This C.D. I think is only just better than Gomez's first album which I thought could never be beaten but I was wrong. Like there first album there is nothing wrong with it, all the songs are as good as each other apart from Rhythm & Blues Alibi which I think is the best song on the album. So lets hope they bring some new stuff out soon.
on 21 February 2001
i have had this and the other gomez cd since their release dates. while the first album took time to really sink in. the second is a perfect mix of rock, blues, techno and voice. I wish that all americans could have a chance to hear it, but due to mainstream pop culture it will surely not be given the chance to reach the radio stature.
on 28 March 2004
Having been quite scathing of UK bands and particularly of the 'music of today' I came to this album with some reservation and trepidation but boy was I wrong? These guys are the real deal, the real mccoy. Embrace are often talked about in almost hushed reverential tones as the purveyors of Britpop and I can see why. This is not Britpop. This is Southern-fried, gently flowing, ambient Blues a la early-Little Feat. That is no exaggeration. I can actually hear Lowell George in this chap's vocal delivery. Blimey, this is England for bodsakes!!! What's going on? Can music be this good? Yes it can. At no point do I feel they are robbing from this great music, they are adding to it and enhancing it.
Imagine it's the late-60's and California's bands had somehow sheared off and gone in a slightly different direction, gaining hindsight of what was to follow and then creating their own way of doing things, you would be close to what Gomez are doing with Liquid Skin. I love this album. It's dreamy, wonderfully presented, faithful to the influences but forward-thinking enough that people in 30 years will look back with fondness at what they are doing. Forget the rip-off that Paul Weller is and listen to this band. A classic!
on 9 November 1999
It's difficult to explain why I like this album but I'm going to try : first, this band has a particular style and plays a music that has been rarely heard before-the way they mix, blues, country and world-music, with the soulful voice of Ben Ottewell, is very original and interesting. Second, they write real songs-not so common among british bands in my opinion : "rhythm and blues alibi", "revolutionnary kind", "Rosalita"and particularly "devil will ride" (my favorite, definitively) take place in your mind and it's quite hard to get rid of them. Third, Gomez has already released a pleasant first album in 1998 and, according to the legacy, the second one should have been poor but it isn't!!
on 12 January 2000
As gomez smashed the market with their first album: BRING IT ON, many people were brainwashed by how good it actually was! Liquid skin however isnt as catchy for the new listener.
It has some great and solid tracks which stick to the great and different gomez style, almost too similar to Bring It On, but, after a while you begin to Adore each and EVERY track, wanting more. Gomez have progressed well and have released an album which every real fan will strongly and addictively Love.
on 20 September 2000
This has to be one of the greats. You couldn't get better songs than there are on this album 'Rhythm 'n' blues alibi' is amazing and the harmonising at the start of 'Bring it on' is god like. Some have said that the songs on "Bring it on" are better but the difference is on "Liquid Skin" there is no need to skip any tracks, therefore I recommend buying this album if you liked bring it on this will blow you away.
on 7 January 2000
This album is a perfectly constructed peice of chilled melodic excellence. Well made and a great follow up to the great album entitled 'bring it on'. Some of my favouritesongs are 'Bring it on', 'we haven't turned around' and 'Hangover'. This album really is a absolute peach! (BIG TICK FOR THAT!)