5.0 out of 5 stars An 80s Pop Classic; but there's more to it than that......
I know that Phil is not necessarily the most fashionable person in the world. He's balding, used to have a beard so large that you could hide a badger in it (Thanks, Blackadder), and he dumped his wife by fax.
Published on 29 April 2004 by Nicholas Tier

3.0 out of 5 stars On the Slide
Well I liked 'Sussudio', even though it is a blatent rip off of Prince's 1999 with a bit of EWF thrown in. The rest is rather patchy. 'One more night', 'long long way to go' and 'Only you know and I know' are fine songs but the rest largely leaves me underwhelmed. A pretty good effort overall, but not as good as earlier solo or Genesis.
Published on 20 Oct 2007 by J Mark

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An 80s Pop Classic; but there's more to it than that......, 29 April 2004
Nicholas Tier "nuck_the_king" (Danehill, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Jacket Required (Audio CD)
But so what? More than any other pop star, he's always been one of us. An ordinary bloke, who just happens to be able to play almost any instrument going, writes fantastic music, and has earned more money than some countries over the last 30 years.
And, in my view, he has not bettered this album. "But Seriously" came close (and was the first album I ever bought on CD), but "No Jacket Required" has everything. From the exuberance of "Sussudio", to the gentle heartbreak of "One More Night", all human emotions are here. However, for me, the top track is "Take Me Home"; a gentle start, building to an emotional crescendo, before dying back down again. Backing singers include Sting & Peter Gabriel; but try picking their voices out in the amazingly complex harmonies.
Now, maybe I still love this album because I remember what a happy time of my life was going on around it (oh, to be 16 again!), but every time I put it on, I want to dance, sing, laugh and cry. Fantastic. If you are looking for a slice of 80s pop which still sounds as fresh today, 20 years on (where DID that time go?), then this album is for you.
(P.S. If you can find an album called 12"ers, buy it; I think it's an inspired set of re-workings of some of the best songs on this album; "Take me Home" in particular is outstanding).

4.0 out of 5 stars Third Time's A Charm, 18 Jun 2009
This review is from: No Jacket Required (Audio CD)
On January 25, 1985, Phil Collins released "No Jacket Required", perhaps the best of his solo work. As has been talked about many times, the title of the album refers to an incident where Phil was denied admittance to an establishment (The Pump Room in Chicago) because of his attire. This has some of Phil's best known work, and in many ways some of the most contrasting work he has ever done. There are songs on here which people don't like mixed in with people's favorites. The album won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1985.

The album opens with "Sussudio", a rather unlikely single and hit, and yet it managed to reach number one in the U.S. What I remember most about the song is the way David Letterman used to make fun of it. The song isn't one I care for much, but it obviously had great appeal to a large number of listeners. "Only You Know and I Know" is next, a more likeable track for me, and one of three for which Daryl Stuermer wrote the music. "Long Long Way to Go" is a song which has Sting providing backing vocals and his voice works well with Phil's. I don't really care for the somewhat gimmicky end, but all in all it is a pretty good piece. "I Don't Wanna Know" is a more lively piece at just the right time. This is the second of the pieces where the Stuermer wrote the music and Phil provided the lyrics. "One More Night" is one of those songs which the critics panned but Phil's fans like. It made it to number one in the U.S., and while clearly not the deepest lyric or most complex piece, it does provide a nice ending to the first half of the album.

"Don't Lose My Number" is a high energy piece to open the second half of the album. Lyrically it doesn't really explain itself, but it is catchy and grabs the listener's ear, at least the first few times one hears it. "Who Said I Would?" is another high energy piece, though not as interesting as the ones which have come before. "Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore?" is a piece about everyone splitting up, and is one of the better pieces on the album for me. It is also the last of the three pieces where Daryl Stuermer wrote the music. "Inside Out" is next and it adds to the strong closing section of the album, though perhaps not quite as strong as the songs on either side of it. "Take Me Home" is the show piece of the album, a very nice song which is either about going home, or about an inmate in a mental institution, depending on who you believe. The song also features Sting, Peter Gabriel, and Helen Terry on backing vocals. It was the closer on the album, but the CD also includes "We Said Hello Goodbye", a B-side release on singles, a nice enough song, but not quite up to the closing pieces which precede it.

Phil Collins did a bit of everything on this album: vocals, drums, percussion, keyboards, vocoder, kalimba, backing vocals, and bass. He didn't do it all alone though as also appearing are David Frank (keyboards), Daryl Stuermer (guitars), Lee Sklar (bass), The Phenix Horns, Gary Barnacle (saxophone), Don Myrick (saxophone), Sting (backing vocals), Peter Gabriel (backing vocals), Helen Terry (backing vocals), and Nick Glennie-Smith (keyboards).

5.0 out of 5 stars A music sensation - Phil Collins never ceases to amaze, 14 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: No Jacket Required (Audio CD)
All Phil Collins fans should have this CD in their collection. A fantastic opening number,Sussudio, starts this album and it doesn't look back. It's a fast, furious, energetic and upbeat track. I really enjoy this song as it makes you want to get up and dance round the living room! It then moves on to a much slower number One More Night, which is you're feeling under the weather, can be emotional and moving. Don't Lost My Number is again another lively full-of-life track as is Who Said I Would. A real get-up-and go album.

5.0 out of 5 stars ASTOUNDING!, 24 Feb 2010
This review is from: No Jacket Required (Audio CD)
This album was one of the biggest of the 1980's selling what I believe is some 30 million copies! It had number one singles around the world, grammy awards and Diamond certification in the USA AND topped the chats here in the UK and in the states for weeks. It propelled Phil Collins from a big star to a global mega star. Many say this was unlikely, but it really wasn't a surprise if you thought about it.
Phil had worked for many years with Genesis and had become their lead vocalist way back in 1976 when Peter Gabriel left. Over many Genesis albums and his first two solo albums, his voice grew stronger and more strident and he perfected the loud drum sound (gated-reverb) that is his trademark. Most importantly though is his growth as a song writer of great quality. All of this came together in spectacular fashion on the record I am reviewing...
No Jacket Required was his third solo album and it took off big time! Phil picked up on the sound of the time and produced perhaps the best pop/rock album of the 80's. It is one of those rare albums where you don't have to skip a track. Sussudio opens the album as it means to go on: pulsing heavy drum machine beat, EWF horns, extraordinary rythms, chugging bass and Phil's strong yet fragile and soulful voice. Yes it sounds like 1999 by Prince, but so what? This was a massive hit. We have Long Long Way To Go, which is a beautiful, melodic song with a haunting feel and great backing vocals from Sting. This is one of Phils best songs that isn't a single.
One More Night was a US number one and so well known I won't say much but this is a superior ballad in every sense, with super sax. Don't Lose My Number is another brilliant rock song with a mixture of live and machine produced drum sounds, a US top 5 and though lyrically not the best, it is so cactchy that it feels criminal! 'Who Said I Would follows and is equally successful though less well known.
The last tracks of the album close it in spectacular fashion. Inside Out is superb by any standards, a perfect pop/rock song and then ofcourse we have the very famous Take Me Home which was another gigantic single. The rest of the tracks that I haven't spoken about are just as good, it's just a very fine album.
This is the sound of a man at the peak of his powers. The year this album came out saw Collins play at both Live Aid shows (the only star to do so and he did so thanks to Concorde) and he played on many records for other artists, infact, he was everywhere or so I have been told. Sadly I was far too young to remember. It is sad that Collins isn't quite as big as he was, he is particularly ignored here in his home country, but I know Europe and USA still have the huge respect for him that he deserves.
No Jacket Required displays fine song writing and a superb sense of musicianship. The sound of Phil Collins was the sound of the 80's whether you like him or not, and this is where Collins trademark vocals and big percussion come together most profoundly to produce one of the soundtracks to that era, but still sounds great today. This is a great sound and just because it was very successful does not mean it should be written off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 30 Mar 2005
V. Bellis "vicksvapour" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Jacket Required (Audio CD)
Having only recently become a true fan of Phil Collins (after purchasing Genesis Platinum Collection), I decided to buy No Jacket Required. It's such a great pure pop album that amazingly hasn't aged and sounds just as fresh as the day it was released. Collins' song writing ability still amazes me; how he manages to make you feel all emotions whilst listening to this CD. I'm sure Hugh Padgham (the producer) adds that distinctive sound which he also brought to some of Genesis's later albums. One thing though, whilst listening to Sussudio I can't help but imagine 'that' scene in the movie American Psycho! Those of you who've seen it will know what I mean. Buy & enjoy. You certainly won't be able to stop yourself throwing some 80s disco shapes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Take This Home!!!, 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: No Jacket Required (Audio CD)
This is my Favourite Phil Collins album of all time, one of the best Soft Rock Albums out there.

There is not one Bad track on here, Phil Collins had done an amazing Job with the Songs on this album, you will be singing along... Trust me :p

Really... You will be singing... as a 21 year old who should be listening to whatever is out now in 2014 (I have no idea lol) I listen to Music purely from the 70's & 80's and Phil Collins is truly one of the Best Singers that I've heard and a true Music Legend, so go and buy it...RIGHT NOW!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Do you like Phil Collins?", 1 Mar 2009
This review is from: No Jacket Required (Audio CD)
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

The tone of the album is serious, as the title suggests. Instead of focusing entirely on personal relationships, dark psychedelics, and simple fun, Collins expands his focus to the exploration of socio-economic and political themes. There is great emotional turmoil underneath the polished studio production, and many of the songs are unambiguous and unveiled in their melancholy.

3.0 out of 5 stars On the Slide, 20 Oct 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 30 Mar 2006
Sam "msaa500" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: No Jacket Required (Audio CD)
This album is really nice. I have always enjoyed Phil's music, there is always something different about it, and this album have all that. The warmth of Phil's voice and music will always show, and you will definetly enjoy listening to this great album. Add one to your collection, wheather you're a fan or not, this will be a great addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars phil collins no jacket required, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: No Jacket Required [VINYL] (Vinyl)
an excellent album which takes me back to my teenage years. a pleasure to listen to time and time agian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›