5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing it.
What amazing music these guys produced.Can't get enough of it.My CD player only thinks Genesis exists.It may be an old CD but I play it endlessly as it is so good.They may not have released much lately,apart from remixes, but who cares with stuff this fine?
Published on 2 Mar 2009 by Tig

3.0 out of 5 stars Remastered version sounds very brash/harsh
Lots of heavy 'brickwall' compression and huge amounts of treble were added to these remastered/remixed versions. OK if you like that but its a lot harsher than the original version and at times VERY harsh and difficult to listen to. the album is still enjoyable though.
Published 7 months ago by spoombung

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing it., 2 Mar 2009
This review is from: Duke (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 3-men era album the G-men have ever made., 28 July 2004
Anthony Hobson "antster1983" (North West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duke (Audio CD)
Recorded in Sweden in the wake of the collapse of lead singer and drummer Phil Collins' first marriage, "Duke" was more of a transitional album than the first 3-man outlet, "...And Then There Were Three".
Loud drums from Collins and strong keyboards from Tony Banks and the fine guitars of Mike Rutherford give this album a strong edge over its predecessor, it also showcased the first songs written by Collins alone, along with more collaborations between the group that led to a strong recording.
Starting off with the ever intriguing trio of intertwined group-written pieces "Behind The Lines", "Duchess" and Banks' "Guide Vocal", the middle track having a drum machine playing for the first ever time on an album used to great effect. "Man Of Our Times" follows this; a Rutherford-composed track that I feel is one that grows on you over time. "Misunderstanding" is the first of the two Collins-composed tracks, and (like the other) was of course influenced by the break-up of his marriage. Surprisingly this is a decent enough track. "Heathaze" follows, a melodic Banks-written piano-based piece about a person who finds change difficult.
"Turn It On Again" is a band-written piece in the strange time signature of 13/8, and spawned a great UK chart hit. Rutherford's "Alone Tonight" is possibly the album's weakest link, because despite the great use of 12-string guitars, it fails to captivate the listener. "Cul-de-Sac", another Banks-composed tune, making minimal use of Rutherford's guitar as per usual, but where it is used, it is used to great effect. Collins' other song, "Please Don't Ask" is a downbeat, but effective, affair. Finally, we come to the epic instrumental "Duke's Travels", a band-written affair that sounds very much like you're travelling through different parts of the world, with a great use of the lyrics from "Guide Vocal" towards the end, before the album comes full circle with "Duke's End", reprising the main themes from a couple of tracks from the album to a fantastic climax.
In all, if you only buy one album from Genesis' three-man era, buy "Duke". You really won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff, 27 Aug 2014
Bacchus (Greater London - Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Duke (Audio CD)
Like And Then There Were Three, this is one of the Genesis albums that takes me back to my teenage years. I remember when Genesis came to my town to perform when it was promoting the album and to my immense regret, I did not go to see them. I was not a particular fan at the time.

When I read about Genesis, most fans seem to discount anything after Wind and Wuthering feeling that the group somehow sold out its original prog rock audience, especially after it lost Steve Hackett. I have been listening to each Genesis album in turn trying to track how the group's sound changed and it has been interesting to see what sounds and styles were jettisoned and which ones were incorporated with each successive album. The thing I have found so far is that some f the work prior to this album is better than others and I have not found the later albums any worse or better than the predecessors.

Which brings me back to Duke. I had not realised that this album had a story to it, concerning a character called Albert. It is not particularly explicit. The things I note listening to it are that the band's sound is so tight and professional, Michael Rutherford's lead guitar playing is far more assured and created than it was on And Then There Were Three and that the group was making use of contemporary 80s styles:in particular, the 'New Romantic' sounds in Man of our Times and the Punk/New Wave guitar opening of Turn it on Again.

I really enjoyed Misunderstanding and Please Don't Ask, two songs in which Phil Collins' songwriting came to the fore and the instrumental tracks Duke's Travels and Duke's End which conclude the album.

For me that has been a really enjoyable listen and one of my favourite albums by Genesis.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Genesis Album!!!, 18 Dec 2008
Michael Bermingham "mjbermingham" (Birr,County Offaly,Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duke (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant album by Genesis, easily equalling anything they have created.I have been a fan since their beginning buying everything 'tru the Gabriel and Hackett era's and up to the present.
This album has everything, the superb instrumentals, brilliant vocals by Phil and top class songwriting throughout.
Real highlights for me are the beautiful 'Duchess', the classic 'Turn It On Again' and the superb(if short) 'Guide Vocal'.Sandwiched in the middle of the album is one of Tony Banks best compositions, the gorgeous 'Heathaze'.But be assured there is really not a weak track here.The album ends with the dramatic and musically varied instrumentals 'Dukes Travels' and 'Dukes End'....simply brilliant.These tracks for me hark back to the 'old' days when Genesis were noted for their superb instrumental pieces.Originally released in 1980 this is really one to savour.Yes I know the 'diehard' fans will sing the praises of 'Trick Of The Tail' and 'Wind And Wuthering'.These are albums which I also love but 'Duke' also has it all and is easily comparable to their best work.For me it represents a point in their journey where they were continueing to evolve and they were starting to create a somewhat different sound.Some people would say they were becoming more commercial(in itself perhaps not a hugely bad thing),but I think they were just changing.Lets face it....who wants to listen to albums that always sound very similar.Highly recommended!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better now than I thought at the time, 16 Nov 2009
S. P. Button "knoflik" (Nottingham, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duke (Audio CD)
Back when the original Genesis split (or rather Gabriel left) I struggled with any album post-Gabriel except for Trick of The Tail, which I still love, mainly for Dance on A Volcano, Entangled, Squonk and Ripples.

Wind and Wuthering had brief moments, but ....And the there were Three was the end of it for me. Initially I thought Duke was more of the same, but listening to again over the last year or so, it is much better than I remembered.

It's not, nor ever will be, Lamb Lies Down or Selling England by The Pound, but it's pretty good and certainly the (second) best after Gabriel left.

Oh, and Seconds Out is great too.....

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Balance, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Duke (Audio CD)
This is Genesis at the absolute tipping point between their early progressive rock (which I love) and Phil Collins' overriding pop phase (which I didn't). What this all boils down to is an album that contains brilliant musicianship and a little bit of a concept (fame and performing feature heavily in "Guide Vocal", "Duchess", and the last song contains nice callbacks to the first, etc.), but held firmly together with pop sensibilities. This means that there are no 24 minute odysseys to intimidate the listener, but that every song contains luscious synths and brilliant lyrics. An essential for anyone's CD collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best albums ever, 4 Dec 2009
R. Barnes (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duke (Audio CD)
i grew up listening to my dads Genesis records, and for me Duke always stuck in my head, and the one that 15 years after 1st hearing it stills makes me jump up and down (and air drum) like mad! from the triumphant start of Behind the Lines to the reprise that is Dukes End, the album is full of brilliance, not one filler, not one moment where you feel like skipping. even great albums you want to do that on occasionally, but not this one. some of the songs were informed by Phil's acrimonious split from his 1st wife who cheated on him as can be seen on "misunderstanding" and "please dont ask". the lyrics throughout are simple but effective (no prog-tastic nonsensical lyrics like the Gabriel era Genesis!) and each member plays their instruments fantasticly. Collins drumming is fantastic and Tony Banks keyboard playing is skilful and brilliant, with top bass/guitar duties from Mike Rutherford not falling short anywhere. If i had to choose stand out tracks i wouldnt be able to because they're all brilliant. Though Genesis continued to release great albums and had released great ones before, this i believe was the greatest with just enough prog to stay true to their roots but enough pop to further increase their stature as a massive worldwide stadium rocking band!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Duke' revisited..!, 21 Aug 2014
P. J. Bullough "70's child." (Shrewsbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duke (Audio CD)
'Duke' is a very special album that has stood the test of time. I was in the final year of university when it came out, and in my mind it has a positive association of being happy at that period, being in love bla bla bla. Well here I am 34 years later still blasting it out on a now considerably more expensive system, still loving it. Although poor old Phil was having a crisis in his personal life, the music on 'Duke' is upbeat, happy and engaging. It's an album that richly rewards being listened to properly from start to finish. It is full of light and shade, and a perfect contrast to the darkness of the preceding (also superb) 'And then there were three.' On this album you hear the results when the three musicians hit a groove and run with it, and they give their fans their money's worth with the great songwriting and inspired instrumentals, culminating in the joyous reprise of 'Guide vocal' towards the end. At the time the album received negative reviews, particularly from 'Melody Maker' who unfortunately were trying too hard to be cutting edge and contemporary, and accused the band of 'plodding'. The idea that this music 'plods' is laughable; it's a life-enhancing album that takes the listener on a satisfying musical journey, and you can't really ask for more than that. Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars I turned it on, turned it on again, 16 Sep 2008
This review is from: Duke (Audio CD)
Just played this album and I swear I haven't heard it in at LEAST 15 years. Very strange that I recall so many of the words...

It was one of my parents' purchases that I probably heard when I was around 9 years old, I suppose not too long after it was released. Even that early I liked this album a lot, down to the cartoon animation and the lonesome figure 'Duke', which had some similarities to the 'Nude' concept album from Camel. Picking it up now I would agree it was probably a transitional album which saw Phil Collins taking up the mantle left by Peter Gabriel and emerging fully as a lead singer. So 'Turn it on Again' and 'Misunderstanding' were indicative of the solo sound that Collins' would carve for himself in the 80s. I don't agree that Genesis became a backing band for Collins at this time because the remaining material is heavily influenced by Banks's synth arrangements particularly, particularly on tracks like 'Duke's Travels' etc.

A good album, would concur that the first half is the stronger though, particluarly the opening 3 songs. 3 1/2 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Genesis album of the 80's, 6 Aug 2004
This review is from: Duke (Audio CD)
The year was 1980. Genesis had survived the departure of Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett, had clocked up a hit single along the way and were about really make it big. Duke proves that a band can have commercial success without compromising their art. Many critics write them off after 'Wind & wuthering' but in my view their obituries were premature. Duke produced a string of hits both in the UK & US (Turn it on again, Misuderstanding, Duchess)which put Genesis on the commercial map, but Duke retains much of the bands prog rock greatness. For a start, it's a concept album - I think. There certainly seems to be a thread running through the songs, about relationship breakup. Probably inspired by Phil Collins' marriage breakup, which coincided with the writing of Duke.
The music is powerful and melodic, as you would have expected on any previous Genesis offering, and follows on nicely from '..and then there were three' their previous album. Mike Rutherford continues to consolidate his role as both bass player and guitarist, and the band as whole prove that writing songs together, instead of apart, as had been the case, can be very successful. The album opens with the exciting, explosive 'Behind the lines' Anyone who ever had the privilage of seeing them on this tour will never forget the intensity of their shows opening with this blinding song; a mixture of trad Genesis, descending into something more funky and soulful. There are prog moments to hold the attention of the die hards (like me) - Heathaze, Cul-De-Sac, Dukes Travels & Dukes End - as well as love songs, which unlike later efforts, or the work of Phil Collins on his own, wont make you yawn or want to throw up! All in all Duke is a very good album, certainly the best they released in the 80's and probably their last 'good' album, for those who grew up with them and loved their old sound, and the whole prog rock scene of the 70's.

Duke