Schubert: An Mein Herz
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£14.98

on 19 November 2008
The first time I heard Goerne singing on CD was his first Schubert disc in 1996 Schubert: Complete Lieder, Vol.27 and the impact was immediate: the singing was totally responsive to Schubert's music and its possibilities, and at the same time an exercise in perfectly considered control. Only in Fischer-Dischau and Gerard Souzay (of the many male voices I've heard) had there ever been this mastery before, and I thought that Goerne was easily their equal.
Nothing in the last 12 years has made me change my mind, either in his numerous recordings both Schubert and non-Schubert (his Bach is especially fine) or his live performances.
This CD simply confirms it. In every Lied he enters into the significance words and music to convey their essence with utter commitment, and produces an absolutely compelling result. Even the works usually regarded as minor are shown as marvellous, and the well-known ones become miracles. Quite simply, if you like Schubert this disc, with its partner Vol 1Schubert - Sehnsucht (Lieder), is essential listening. You will never regret buying this CD, and will return to it again and again.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again