Format: DVD|Change

on 14 January 2009
Resident evil degeneration very much proves to be a resi game translated into a 90 minute scene. Arriving at the airport Claire Redfield finds herself in the middle of an viral outbreak of the T-virus, turning the dead into zombies. Trapped within the compound, with other survivors, a rescue team is dispatched headed by government agent Leon S Kennedy. As the story progresses it becomes apparent the outbreak was a terrorist attack tied to a shady pharmaceuticals firm; as Leon and Claire investigate they find themselves yet again pulled into a world of unimaginable horror.

T virus, G virus, Claire and Leon's reunion an homage to their original meeting, Claire wielding a specifically designed umbrella, just when you think the boss is dead it comes back, shady corporations, endless computer voiced countdowns to certain doom, mutants pursuing blood relations, heavy falling footsteps and of course spectacularly hokey dialogue. All staples of resident evil back in the day and ever present here. Less of a continuation of resident evil 4 and more of a sequel to resident evil 2, chances are if you never played Capcom's first sequel much of the movies charm will be lost on you but if you did you will more than likely lap it up.

Though the movie itself operates as both a sequel and a standalone affair, offering a new story with few links to previous instalments, other than names and off hand comments, and as such its a lot more accessible to newbies as opposed to say Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2 Disc Special Edition) was. It's good to see Claire and Leon together again, though as the movie progresses they don't share that much screen time together sadly, but their interaction is great fun and the movie keeps up a quick pace.

The voice acting is what you would expect from your typical resident evil game. The dialogue likewise follows suit, sounding especially silly when delivered with serious hammy conviction, but then again its all part of resident evils charm ( Jill sandwich anyone?). The animation is fast and fluid, facial detail is particularity good and the action sequences are of course OTT and highly entertaining.

All in all it's not likely to convert anyone who didn't like resident evil before and probably wont gain too many new fans, but for those of us who remember our zombie blasting days on the PS1 it's a guilty pleasure. Not a ground breaking move forward in animation films nor is the dialogue very well written but its definitely a movie for the fans, especially those who didn't enjoy the Anderson films,and as such proves to be a blast seeing a true to form resident evil movie on the screen.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 2 March 2012
It is only a couple of years after the Racoon City T-virus outbreak and the Umbrella Corporation has been bankrupted and taken over by WilPharma. WilPharma have opened a new research facility in the town of Harvardville, something which the local people don't want.

One of the few survivors of the Racoon City disaster, Claire Redfield, now works for the governments Anti-Bio-Terror programme "TerraSave" arrives at the Harvardville airport to be greeted by a protester dressed as a zombie, unfortunately the next zombie is the real thing and Claire is thrown back into survival mode.

Having only recently become acquainted with Resident Evil series of games, books, etc, I have to admit I was a little sceptical of a CGI movie, but I was willing to give it a chance. I'm glad I did, it's a lot of fun to see characters which I have come to know from the games come to CGI life.

I don't know if anyone else noticed but Senator Ron Davis seems to bear an uncanny resemblance to Penguin character in the Batman film and comics.

One of the strangest experiences while watching this film happened when Leon was hanging off the top of a platform and I found I had the urge to grab for the wii remote and shake it just to help him up.

There are a couple of small problems with the CGI. Leon goes through the entire film looking extremely grumpy with a permanent scowl, or maybe he'd had a bad session of botox; and most of the time Claire walks as if she needs her nappy changing urgently.

Aside from those little points the film was unexpectedly enjoyable.

I don't think you'd need to be a fan of the games to enjoy the film, especially as the background is explained in the form of news clips at the beginning. I'm glad I gave the film a try.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 July 2013
I really like this animated outing of the Residential Evil story, for someone more familiar with the earlier games surrounding Raccoon City this is the movie's "jumping off" point, where it begins, but it can be enjoyed as more than simply an animated actioner.

For anyone who wants to see zombis and monsters galour there's enough here, its not too bloody but could be frightening for younger viewers, there is some swearing but what the real selling point is to me is the plot, which is unlikely to be interesting to younger viewers who're primarily acquainted with the game.

The plot is pretty involved, focusing upon corporate corruption and terrorism, biological weapons and cover ups. Things have come a long way from the very earliest biohazard/resident evil story in which heroic protagonists battle hoards of zombis created by containment issues and out breaks. If you arent interested in this kind of thing it is possible to enjoy the movie besides but I loved this dimension of the movie, with shifts and turns involving corporate profiteering and theft and two other mega-corp actors entering the story line to compete with Umbrella.

I felt this was a better feature than any of the actual live action Resident Evil movies, which are pretty poor by comparison, either cerebrally challenge wise or action wise. Its also better than a lot of the zombi films which are produced like junk food for the viewing public.
on 3 February 2015
This dvd is a dream for any Claire Redfield fan like myself and is the only reason I bought it in the first place. I love all the games but this blue ray stopped me in my tracks. Claire has been my favourite character ever since she showed up in the second game and it has been like that ever since (I miss Alyson Court). I love that big sister/Guardian/mother figure that she holds for lost kids and has a seriously funny talk back attitude "You might want to stick your ego up your ass...." that has stuck with her through the years. She takes no crap from anyone. She even gives the senator a serious smack across the face in this lol it was awesome. Just love her.

If Claire wasn't in this movie I honestly wouldn't bother watching it, sorry damnation, no Claire, no sale. This is my favourite "Claire" with her white on top of the red outfit and she looks beautiful too. She really is the queen, there is no other, sorry Jill, Ada and all you other girlies.

For anyone NOT obsessed with Claire I would still suggest you purchase this if you are a fan of the games, its a fun ride and the graphics are quite good. If you are not a fan of the game I'm not so sure. I would borrow it instead.
on 25 March 2012
Resident Evil Degeneration is the first feature length CG film in the Resident Evil franchise...is it good? the answer is yes.

Resident Evil Degeneration (RED from now on) stars fan favorite Leon.S.Kenedy and Claire Redfeild both protagonists of the survival horror game Resident Evil 2. The films plot revolvs around an outbreak in an Airport which Claire and some othe survives are holding out enter Leon who is sent in to extract survivors being aided by 2 other people. from here we learn of a terrorist plot among other things which dosn't realy excite up untill the final act which is a masterpiece of CG animation and a hell of a scene to watch.

This movie is for fans of the RE universe but does cater to non fans and iis quite enjoyable. RED is a masterpiece in terms of CG animation i also want to note that the special features on the disk are quite humerous and worth checking out.

4/5 great film deinantly one for fans.
on 13 January 2014
These two films on bluray are great and at times lacks zombies but still they are great fun films to watch and I wouldnt mind watching a third CGI resi film if they decide to make one..but with original game cast of resident evil and resident evil 0....
Can you imagine a prequal to how the original live film should have been done! The beginning of the film vould be a quick 15-20 minutes of resi 0 as you see the bravo team chopper crash and the forest scenes heading to the mansion....next hour and 10-20 minutes will be Alpha team finding out what happened and then chased into the mansion by the dogs and let the film do what the game sort of does by searching the mansion and finding dead or almost dead members of Bravo team whilst killing off zombies etc etc
on 16 August 2013
I baught this without reading any reviews at all, I simply enjoy animations and zombies and took my chances. It was worth it in my opinion as the animation and sound are very good quality especially being a Blu-ray. The story is a typical search, rescue and evade/kill zombie plot - the final 15 - 20 minutes are particularly 'intense'. I'm led to believe this film has a sequel which I will be investigating on the back of this purchase.
on 6 June 2012
Visually it's excellent - old favourites such as Leon and Claire are now in high def.
However Leon steals the show - the others look wooden in comparison.
The plot does degenerate as the film goes on - it rescues itself at the end.
There's too much focus on random characters - at times I forgot who I was watching
Overall though it is a worthwhile watch for fans of res evil - to newcomers a quick wiki read of the res evil story line is recommended, or you could enjoy the silly action scenes - realism was clearly not in the plot and it's all the better for it.
on 7 September 2009
I bought this movie today,and i would just like to say that i am not a massive fan of the Resident Evil Franchise,but i really enjoyed this movie,the sheer quality of the Blu Ray is awesome,the storyline was very good and the characters are very believable.Lots of Zombies,lots of Blood.Even if you are not a Resident Evil Fan give this movie a go,it is well worth a look.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 July 2010

Aside from those little points the film was unexpectedly enjoyable.

review image