on 26 January 2009
I finally upgrade from my T20 which served me well past 3 years with no fault. Now come the bigger, upgraded brother, T40 Series II.

Appearance
Straight out the box, I notice the brilliant gloss black front, gold plated headphone jack and aux in port, beautifully crafted control knobs and of cause the twin yellow fibre glass woofers. But once plugged in, it's a different story... gone the annoying overly bright blue LED, comes a blue halo on the volume control knob, it looks marvellous.

Performance
When I was unboxing this, I was expecting a standard Creative 12V adapter, but I was wrong. The T40 Series II comes with a whopping 20V adapter; I wonder does this unlock the true potential of the drivers. The bass is much better than the T20, highs are precise but not uncomfortable to listen even when pushed, the overall sound is much richer, clearer and overall better than the T20 and the T40 of the previous series.

Pros
Great sound at the right price
Looks really nice

Cons
You will need a high quality audio output (Poorly encoded MP3 won't do it justices)
The adaptor wire length maybe too short for some people
You may get addicted to it

I rate this a 5/5, highly recommended.

UPDATE: The new colour can highlight dust as its really shiny, compare to the Gunmetal Grey of the previous series. Still highly recommended though.
on 1 June 2009
I already owned an early set of T20 speakers, so I knew these T40 series II would probably be a good upgrade path. My assumption was spot on - they are superb! The level of bass from those small drivers is amazing. The small cone size of the four bass drivers appears to be easily compensated for by the long throw capabilities of their cone suspension coupled with the carefully tuned port on top of each speaker. The electronics of the internal amplifiers are presumably adjusted and balanced in order to squeeze the ultimate sound from these units; such techniques can and do achieve, if judged correctly, a clear and musical sound. It therefore really is no exaggeration to say, that in my opinion, Creative have ticked all the boxes correctly with the T40 series II and achieved the goal of producing a wonderful audio product. By the way, these speakers not only work brilliantly with computers as they are designed to do, they also make incredible speakers to use with those LCD TV's which use miniature tinny sounding internal speakers! I just plug the supplied audio lead from the T40's into the TV's headphone socket and listen to glorious sound which fills the room - sublime! Oh yeh, nearly forgot, a bonus here is that you can also use the TV's remote control to adjust the sound into the bargain when you connect the T40's like this - how could you ask for more?
on 26 March 2009
Well maybe not quite so small - quite tall though slim - but the sound is superb. Not being a lover of thumping bass as opposed to clear bass these speakers do the business. Taut bass not the soggy thump you sometimes get from cheap Sub-woofers. I bought some T20's a while ago and use them in the Kitchen with our DAB Radio - brilliant!! - but these I have hooked up to my TV and iPod dock and after the T20's I am not at all surprised at the quality they produce. Music is excellent - a nice warm sound - and speech very clear without having to "jack up" the volume. They really are a great package for the price. Would recommend them to anyone who wants good sound without a big Sub-woofer cluttering up the floor around your TV. Also, no need to use a Black Felt Pen to mask the glaring blue power light like the T20's, these are much more discrete. First class!!.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am always disappointed in the quality of speakers for PCs. For many years I have had a Klipsch 5.1 system and have been spoilt by great sound. On the amplifiers smoking demise I was upset, even more so when I realised my choices for replacements were so limited. Poor quality PC speakers abound and I was not prepared to spend the money I had previously on an expensive surround system. Creative however have come up with a product to meet me in the middle. The T40s are solid and well built, quite weighty as well. They provide a rich sound, with a good dynamic range that is surprising for their size. I have tried them gaming, with classical, trance and hard rock and I am pleased with the result. Do not be mistaken these will not fill a huge room with sound, but if you want to sit at your PC and listen then they are great. My one criticism was that the cable to connect the speakers to the PC was far too short. That said I had a spare. Clean controls, headphone socket and at a price which I believe represents great value.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 April 2009
I am fortunate to own both Creative T40 Series 2 and Logitech Z-10 speakers. Both are excellent quality stereo speakers for listening to music from classical to heavy rock and fine for normal gaming. However, if you looking for something to shake the crockery from your neighbours dresser or want to be bombarded from all directions by a wall of sound when fighting the latest space battle, then look elsewhere.
The T40s are slightly narrower and taller than the Z-10s and have an external transformer which can give off a slight hum although you wouldn't notice it as it is quieter than the background noise from your typical PC. The Z-10s transformer is built into one of the speakers which makes that speaker a lot heavier than its counterpart.
Both products produce excellent, crystal clear sound, more than adequate for any avid music listener. The T40s have 3 external control knobs on/volume, treble, and bass that are easily and quickly adjusted unless you have large fingers in which case you may perceive them as a little fiddly. Connection to the PC is by means of the standard stereo speaker port from the PC's sound card. The front headphone socket and front `aux in' socket for an mp3 player are useful additions. There is also a rear socket to connect an mp3 docking station.
The Z-10s controls are by means of a touch sensitive panel on the front of one of the speakers. These can be a little erratic at times particularly if the speakers are warm from being switched on for a while. The Z-10 also has two connectivity options - (1) a USB connection which allows certain information to be displayed above the control panel, such as song title, date & time, etc. (2) the standard stereo speaker connection from the PC's sound card, which doesn't provide any information. The USB connection is a little gimmicky, and you can't use standard PC software for tailoring the sound. So you have a choice, if you want to tailor or play around with the sound you will need to connect them to the standard speaker port and lose the display (which kind of defeats the object of having these speakers); or connect them to a USB port and have the display but sacrifice being able to tailor the sound.
The T40s don't have that choice as there is only a standard speaker connection - so there is no dilemma here.
The Z-10s are slightly more powerful than the T40s although both are adequate for normal room listening conditions. However, I found the T40s to have a slightly crisper sound and perform well even at full volume. The only other minor point with the T40s is an annoying click if the power is turned off at the mains without turning the speaker itself off first, which you don't get with the Z-10s.
If I was to compare them, I would say that the Creative T40s have the edge owing to their marginally better sound quality and less finicky controls. But if you decide to purchase the Logitech Z-10s for the USB connection and novel display features you won't be disappointed.
So overall, I would rate the T40s 5 out of 5, and the Z-10s 4 out of 5.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Pros:

- I was amazed when i first burned these in. The sound quality is something special, with the High end being especially impressive. The music sounds wonderfully seperated and you get plenty of oomph in order to play them at louder volumes - I was actually suprised they are only 16 watts per speaker because they seem considerably more powerful.

- The build quality is also quite admirable in my opinion, i like the design of them and they feel pretty sturdy.

- Kevlar cones, a sign that these are quality speakers.

- Treble and bass controls that actually make a difference to the sound!

- The best 2.0 system out there by a big distance.

- The bass-x port on the top of each speaker really does work, and it manages to pull of bass really well for speakers of its size.

Cons:

- The downside is bass is adequate, nothing more. For 3 inch cones you've got to give them credit, they throw out a lot of bass; but its a balanced sound. Their 50hz cut off means the real low end is missed out which isnt really a problem. Nobody on the internet appears to have tried connecting these to a sub, but i implore you to give it a go.

- On the front of the right speaker there is a seriously irritating light that is REALLY bright. It is awful and i had to cover it up with 3 post-it notes - even then it still shone through!

- The power switcth to turn it off is located on the back of the speaker. Why is this? It just makes them harder to turn of if they're on a cluttered desk.

Overall:

A fantastic 2.0 system that manages to create a beautiful, balanced sound. Almost all forms of music sound brilliant on these speakers, but if you're listening to something bass heavy consider a 2.1 system. Or add a subwoofer to it as i did below. However as a 2.0 system they are the BEST out there by a country mile.

TIP ON CONNECTING TO A SUB:
I chose the logitech z4 subwoofer and was amazed at how well they both went together. Its really simple to set up, simply requiring a 3.5 to phono cable. Phono goes to sub, 3.5 goes into the back of the right T40 speaker. BINGO, you have a nice 2.1 setup. Then i was thoroughly blown away. The T40's really do excel in the high/mid end of the spectrum, producing a wonderfully distinguished sound. Pick a reasonably decent sub to do them justice and you wont be disappointed. Just a quick tip of mine to make a seriously good 2.1 system!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been upgrading my desktop computer and monitors constantly over the past 10 or so years, but the speakers have always been an afterthought. I have had the same old 5.1 Creative set for ages and they have served me well.

Why I didnt upgrade the speakers sooner, I will never know!

The T40s arrived today in a modest box and were easily urwrapped and plugged in. The finish is lovely in gloss black and the controls have a very solid quality feel. The speaker-to-speaker wire is long enough to span my two 22inch monitors with a little to spare. Others have said the audio input lead is a little short but at 2m is long enough to reach my tower on the floor from the top of my desk twice over.

I went straight to Winamp and played a good range of my favourite music and was very very impressed. So much so I decided to share my experience on here (Orbital is still playing very loudly as I type). The sound hits you like a 'proper' set of speakers and gives you that 'oh.. thats what this is meant to sound like feeling'.

All in all I cant recommend these highly enough. If you have been listening to music through the same old PC speakers for years I urge you to upgrade, your ears will thank you ! ... your neighbours may not.
on 24 February 2009
Thess are a great set of speakers. Very powerful desktops and give a crisp clear sound. They were a little larger than I expected (as tall as a bottle of wine) and the silver knobs are a little slippery to turn. They could do with making these a bit more grippy with maybe a rubber coating. I still recommend them highly.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 September 2014
I'v recently had to re-arrange my computer desk and needed to get rid of my ageing 5.1 surround setup in favour of something more space efficient. Stepping down to a 2.0 speaker setup was what I needed so I settled on the Creative T40's after reading many favourable professional and consumer reviews. After using these for nearly a week I can say it was an excellent choice.
Because I had no room for a dedicated subwoofer I opted for the T40's as they have built in base ports, while it cannot compete with a dedicated sub it still manages to reproduce a rich bassy sound which is far superior to the cheaper 2.0 desktop speakers.
While I'm no audiophile I still want to be able to listen to music and watch movies without sacrificing too much audio fidelity and the T40 Gigaworks achieves this easily.

The build quality is solid and the speakers are reassuringly heavy. Although they have a relatively small footprint they're quite tall at nearly 30cm which might not be to everyone's taste.
The main speaker features additional 3.5 jacks for MP3 players and auxiliary audio connections.

The only minor gripes I have with this product is the volume dial has a very smooth non textured ring which is a little difficult to get a good grip when adjusting the volume. Also the volume dials feature small non-coloured groove markings which can make it a little difficult to see where audio levels are currently set especially in a dark room.

Minor gripes aside this is all in all a great speaker system which I can say is easily the best 2.0 speaker solution I've ever heard. They are considerably more expensive than competing desktop 2.0 speakers but for the money you get a high quality premium product which easily justifies the price tag.

Highly recommended.
on 8 October 2011
Having recently found myself without a stereo and unable to get any satisfaction in that department at a reasonable price, I decided to delve into the world of multimedia speakers as a temporary solution to this problem. I've always had a laptop and some decent headphones, so I'd never bothered with PC speakers before, and choosing a set wasn't a particularly easy task for me. I knew I wanted them to act as a substitute stereo, but alas, price was a limitation and something I had to take into account. Power was desirable, but I wasn't prepared to compromise on quality of sound (which is why I've been without a stereo for months). Which brings me to these...

Negative customer reviews steered me away from the cheaper 2.1 subwoofer setups due to complaints about rumbling, overpowering bass, tinny trebles and zero middle range -- pet hates of mine -- and positive customer reviews led me instead to the Creative Gigaworks brand. I was seriously considering the T20s until I realised I could do slightly better within my budget and finally settled on the T40s. But I still had my reservations. Would they be loud and powerful enough? And what was all this about a "boxy" sound?

When they arrived, I was slightly sceptical. Not that they didn't look good -- they did -- but I just couldn't imagine these little (I've never had a pair of PC speakers before) 32 watt things being man enough to pack the audio punch I desired and had grown accustomed to with conventional stereos. But I bit my tongue, connected them up and proceeded to test them out on a vast and varied music library. The results were instantly impressive. I was getting crystal clear vocals, good tight bass and plenty of volume. Already they were performing better than a lot of the cheap mini systems I'd looked at and have had the displeasure of owning over recent years, aided in no small part by the WMP Graphic Equaliser. But the more I listened, the more I started to get that "boxy" thing that someone had mentioned. And the more I got it, the more it started to bug me. In addition to this, I couldn't help but feel that something was ultimately lacking in the bass area. I wasn't anticipating feeling this way, but I missed that deep, resonating thump on some tracks which I couldn't seem to acquire, even after turning the bass on the GE and the dial on the speaker to full. But actually, it was ME who was missing something: I hadn't got the SRS WOW Effects on WMP turned on. Idiot. So I turned them on, and eureka -- amazing sound!

These speakers have now officially become the cheapest and best stereo I've had for ages. It doesn't matter how awfully my music happens to be recorded; they can overcome practically anything. I know they're only multimedia speakers, and I shouldn't compare them to proper stereos. But as far as buying that new stereo goes, let's just say that I'm in no rush. No doubt a really good one would blow these speakers out of the water, but at this price?! I don't think so.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...