on 6 March 2010
Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II Multimedia Speakers

I read the mixed reviews for this product and decided to take a chance anyway because the last Creative speakers we had were good. First off, the power unit DOES NOT BUZZ. It is also a standard size plug so the problem with the last speakers occupying two socket spaces is gone. What is also great is that there is no longer any need for a sub-woofer. The bass provided by the T20's is superb and consequently I no longer have a horrible big box sitting on the floor. The design and finish of the speakers is also attractive and a little retro with it's curves and analogue dials. Don't be put off by what were clearly early problems with this unit, it's all been sorted and they sound great.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 January 2010
Ok,
Creative T20 series 2. £50ish, no buzz from plug (not even a whisper). Cracking sound, improved weight to bass from T10s, clear and responsive.

Please dont let people talking about the plug buzz (?!?) put you off. this is obviously a rare issue that some unfortunate souls are experiencing. remeber people are more likely to review if somehting is wrong!!

I have both T10's and T20's (both with same plug adapter) and never any problems. I do agree that the adapter is oversized and will overlap a socket on an extention lead but on twin sockets it fits like a glove and no space is lost.

This is not just a review after a couple of days before anything has a chance to go wrong. I have had my T10's for over a year and my T20's for about 6months and they have been nothing but exceptional. T10's plugged in to laptop for use with itunes and t20's in LCD TV. laptop doubles as hifi and if volume at 2/3rds fills home. TV sound improved 10 fold.

T20's still give the same impecable clarity as t10's but apart from obviously being louder give a richer, deeper bass that were missing from the t10's. Yes there is no bass unit to make outstanding low tones but they have a damn good crack. T10's have single "tone" adjust ment which seems to adjust treble and base at same time which isnt ideal but t20's have seperate bass and treble adjustments which helps you meet a sound better to your taste.

Both have a solid build with clean lines and good finish but the t20's just look more purposfull and "meaty". One thing to note is that T10s have a metal mesh over mid range cone which will stop little hands from ruining them if you have kids. T20's have solid cones but only optional fabric mesh which i have opted to remove because it just doesnt look as good.

conclusion very happy for over a year now with creative speakers will buy every time because they look good, perform beautifully and are very minimalist.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 March 2010
I was looking for something that could produce a decent sound and wasn't too expensive for use at work as I sit in front of a computer all day. I decided to try these rather than the Logitech Z-10 or Z520 as I've been a fan of Creative for a number of years and they were at a good price. I was not disappointed.

The speakers look great in gloss black, either with or without the speaker grill/covers and are of a size that fits nicely on the desk.

The three knobs for bass, treble and volume are sturdy and have a smooth, solid action. The treble is clear and crisp and bass is good for the size of the speakers, probably due to the bass port on top of the speakers.

There are two 3.5mm jacks on the front of the main speaker, one for headphones and the other an auxiliary input. This was ideal for me as I could plug my mp3 player straight into the front (cable not included) and therefore didn't have to rely on files etc on the computer.

1 cable connects the two speakers together and another plugs into the sound card using a 3.5mm jack. I had no problems with the power adapter.

I prefer my 5.1 Creative setup at home for gaming as I do like the power of the subwoofer for explosions etc but T20s produce an excellent sound for music and film and won't annoy the neighbours. Highly recommended.
on 14 May 2009
I've recently bought these and set them up and they're fantastic. I bought them to connect to a new Pinnacle Soundbridge Home Music stick thingy (wireless streaming of internet radio and itunes playlists) and they work flawlessly. Sound quality is better than the Harmon Karden soundsticks I used to have for my Mac. These days the bass isn't cranked up like it was when I was in my teens because I like to listen to the mids and trebles these days, and these speakers really are nifty for that, but the bass can be wacked up without loss of quality if that's your bag.

I also use them plugged into the headphone jack of my ipod, and they connect to my Mac fine too.

I've not noticed the annoying hum/buzz that others mention (something which my ears normally pick up, believe me), nor is the adaptor too big either - although it does get in the way of a regular plug socket switch, but I use a multi-gang extension surge protector anyway so I just turn that off when I'm not using them.

One speaker has a line-in and a headphone jack, and that speaker also has the treble, bass and volume on/off nobs. Both speakers feel solid and weighty enough not to be knocked over too easily, look good and take up little space.

I'm so impressed with these (especially for the size) that I've now ditched my Denon Hi-Fi separates in favour of these and a pinnacle/ipod combo.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 April 2009
I bought these speakers on some recommendations from Amazon previous buyers of the older T20 series I. Thinking the Series II would be as good if not better. I was very happy with these speakers, the sound from it is brilliant. I'm not into 2.1 setup or the full 7.1 setup that my computer can handle, simply because my daughter will just mess up the wires anyway. I simply wanted a good solid set of speakers that will sit nicely next to my monitor. These were a fine choice. However....
....What annoys me the most is the power adapter which is so loud it can be heard above my computer and unless I turn the volume pass half way I can hear them BUZZing away!!! This problem was in the series I but I stupidly thought they would have fixed this by now. I'm surprised the others with reviews have not heard it or just put up with it. Also it is so big it blocks adjacent sockets to be used, stupid design flaw.

Lastly Creative Lab recommends that the power adapter should be unplugged after 4 hours without use, I think this is indication that they recognise their power adapters are not the right ones to use.

Overall, I would have given this a five star and must be set of speakers if you are wanting just a pair, but dropped it to 3 star due to the annoying power adapter. Creative Lab do something about it, buy in a better component that runs silently at least!
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 December 2009
I thought long and hard to buy this speaker, now I bought it. Hearing is belieaving. Don't believe what you here in Youtube, cause its not FLAC and your desktop speakers may not be the same. The Gigaworks T3 may sound better, but you might break your back lifting that 20kg sub.

Summary:
+ Great sound accross the range. Low and high done nicely. No need to change the bass/treble unless you like it that way.
+ No subwoofer. 20kg's out of the way.
+ Bass, treble tweakable.
+ Removable front mesh if you prefer more raw sound or want a quick fix to increasing the volume higher.

-/+ Power supply huge. The adapter is built into the plug, so expect it to take some space.
- Hissing apparent when you turn the volume max. Only noticable when your input is so weak. Solution, turn input max, and this low.

Conclusion:
Get this speakers, set your equaliser to default and listen what this can do. Really set your pc/winamp to none and adjust with the speakers. It is that good. Any equaliser will ruin that experience. Also, I don't think you can find something smaller than this which can reproduce sound accross all the range.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was originally looking for a docking station for my smartphone when playing MP3s, but could only find one android-compatible one on the market, and having listened to it during a visit to my local Curry's (sorry Curry's!), I was SO disappointed with the sound quality, so went looking at separate speakers instead.

I found these by pure accident after looking at brands like Bose and seeing these had come highly recommended as an alternative at a much lower price - and I couldn't agree more.

The sound quality is absolutely fantastic on these - the bass is rich and warm and the clarity is really amazing. I'm using them in a (fairly large) bedroom, as they're a nice, compact size so hardly any space needed, with my smartphone on a little stand in between them. The volume can go up pretty loud (by my standards, anyway!!) with no distortion or loss of quality - really is crystal clear sound and an absolute pleasure to listen to.

I also know this is a very 'girly' comment to make and may be something everyone else except me knew already (!!), but the photo shows the speakers looking quite ugly and 'industrial' (in my 'umble), with those yellow rings showing, but they actually have that black fabric webbing that you expect to find on speakers (there's probably a perfectly good technical name for it that I'm not cool enough to know about!) which covers all of that up, so they actually look very slick and tasteful in the flesh!

Anyway - I've read that some other separate speakers have caused problems when people have used smartphones with them as you'd get an awful distortion as soon as the phone is near to them - and this particular brand and model were recommended as being one of the best available with no such problems associated. Exactly how I've found it to be, anyway - really cannot recommend these enough.
on 27 September 2011
Look has never been an overriding reason for me to buy a speaker. Sound quality has always been of the utmost, as well as solid construction. Despite this, I managed all three with these speakers:

These are truly hiss-free. If there is no sound outputting, you would never know they are on, plus the bass is very acceptable for their size.

They actually look very cool either side of my monitor stand. At around 8 inches high, and with their gently backwards slant, they feel elegant and chunky at the same time.

The controls are adequate and, my personal preference, the headphone socket is on the front rather than having to fiddle around at the back.

All in all, an exceptionally good buy for the money.
on 14 December 2013
I purchased these off amazon after reading many reviews online, I simply wanted something compact for my computer without a subwoofer like my last set (it did make a handy footrest however) But I still wanted good sound quality and these seemed to fit the bill.

The speakers themselves look fantastic with glossy faces and matt bodies, the speaker covers are easily removable as they are just held in by little rubber plugs so you can have them on or off as you please, I choose to keep them on as I prefer a more discreet look but they also look great without them.

I'm not an audiophile but I'm very happy with the sound quality these produce, before I bought these I had purchased a logitech set after my last speakers wires had become dodgy but I was not happy with the sound quality, it just did not sound quite right no matter what adjustments I made so I returned them and purchased these. This set is spot on, my games and my music sound absolutely fantastic and immersive which is impressive for these only being 2.0 speakers.

I only ever need the volume halfway up, I have never dared to turn it all the way up to see what these things can do but I'm sure it is very impressive. The speakers turn on automatically when they detect sound input coming to them and they show they are on by a blue light around the volume switch which is not too obtrusive. You can turn them on and off manually through the volume knob but I prefer to let them think for themselves.

They have adjustments for both the bass and treble on the right hand speakers front so you can adjust them depending on your particular tastes and they also have a handy headphone and line in port which I have found handy for when I'm gaming with my headset.

I am incredibly happy with my speakers and would recommend them for anyone looking for good quality sound without a massive budget.
on 21 January 2010
I love these speakers. I never expected to get great sound from a 2.0 speaker set but I did! I'm pretty sure this set makes better sound than many cheap 2.1 sets with an awful subwoofer.

The only downside is the power adapter. I did not experience it to make any sound like someone else in a previous review said, but it does have a different issue: it;s huge. And because it's huge it takes up 2 slots in my splitter, which is a bit of a pain if you have a lot of devices that need to be powered near one power socket.