5.0 out of 5 stars She Just Gets Better & Better
Published on 26 Nov 2008 by Monsieur le B

3.0 out of 5 stars Anti-climax
I was looking forward to 'Funhouse' after hearing great things about it, but sadly I was disappointed. I'm not a great fan of foul language and was shocked to hear songs I'd loved on the radio, being liberally peppered with swear words, totally unnecessarily - the songs were great without them - but getting past that, the album on the whole was a bit of an...
Published on 9 Dec 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars She Just Gets Better & Better, 26 Nov 2008
This review is from: Funhouse (Audio CD)
Not many artists can produce 3 top selling albums and then top them with something that is all together in a different league. Not many artists can have such a wide appeal whether you're 16 or 60. Not many artists can produce an album with lyrics so very personal without sounding self absorbing. Well Pink has done all of those. Whether you want straightforward rock, dance music or stunningly beautiful ballads (no Dion/Carey warbling here), combined with edgy almost bluesy vocals, this album has it all. Frankly, this is a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A blowing up Funhouse!, 1 Jun 2009
Ktar - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funhouse (Audio CD)
Funhouse is not only P!nk's best album up-to-date but also one of the most massive and hot albums ever! And, this is not only about the tracks; it's about everything in it! The designing, the photos, the tracks! Everything! And, she had very talented cooperators, such as the brilliant Max Martin, Kara DioGuardi, Danja, Eg White, Butch Walker, Billy Mann etc! P!nk knows really well how to balance different types of music in a record and to express herself via them. The album contains tracks for different moments: When you wanna rock, when you wanna cry, when you wanna relax, when you wanna dance! All in all, it's all the music in a record!

Designing: Flawless ! 10/10 (Even the photo on the cd is really brilliant!)
Tracks: Perfect perfect perfect! My favorite one is Sober! Oh God! This song is really emotional and hot! I've spent so much time listening to it! So, So what, Sober, I don't believe you, Please don't leave me, Bad influence, Funhouse, Mean, It's all your fault, Ave Mary a, Glitter in the air, This is how it goes down and Boring (One of P!nk's best song ever! I think that everyone should buy the uk edition of Funhouse in order to have this track as well!) deserve 10/10 and One foot wrong and Crystal ball 9/10!
Voice: So emotional, so mature! 10/10

So, buy this record without second thought! It's a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never too old !, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Funhouse (Audio CD)
This is a girl with energy, going from the definitely rowdy to the softer approach. The variety of songs on this disc must have something for everyone - all tastes, all ages and all moods. I may be well over 60 but I enjoy her natural energy. A terrific cd. Buy it and play it loud - especially when driving alone in your car! It's great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars P!nk Goes From Strength To Strength..., 18 Mar 2009
WCW Fan (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Funhouse (Audio CD)
I must admit that I haven't always been a fan of P!nk (and that I tend to go for more "alternative" music like "Within Temptation", "Evanescence" etc), however with her switching to a more "Rock"-based style in recent years, I found myself really getting into her music and enjoying it (what sold me on her was her previous album "I'm Not Dead").

"Funhouse" is even better. It offers a variety of fun, catchy songs, rock, and gentler more melodic tunes. Of course, it features the singles "So What" (a great track, ideal as an opener for the album), "Sober" (truly beautiful) and "Please Don't Leave Me" (one of the album's best tracks and possibly one of P!nk's greatest songs ever), but also includes the moving "I Don't Believe You" (which truly separates P!nk from the "generic pop act" crowd), the well-balanced "One Foot Wrong", the fun "Bad Influence", the No Doubt-esque "Funhouse" (well, it was written by Tony Kanal), the incredible "Crystal Ball" (another slow and moving song), the superb "break-up" song "Mean" and more.

Perhaps "This Is How It Goes Down" (which features an unnecessary rap in the middle, which spoiled the song for me) and "Boring" (a very "radio-friendly" pop tune) are a little out of place here, and are quite wisely at the end of the CD (they're not bad songs, it's just that their style feels like a step back to the "old P!nk", and what this album demonstrates more than anything is how P!nk has grown as an artist and a performer).

Obviously, P!nk fans don't need telling that this album is great, but if you're not a fan yet (but have enjoyed the odd P!nk song on the radio or TV), then I urge you to give this a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars A funhouse indeed, but her most mature offering yet, 18 Oct 2008
G. W. Hope - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funhouse (Audio CD)
Well, P!nk (Alecia Beth Moore, for those who don't know already) is back. Back, and better than ever. The majority of the songs on the album deal with divorce (no surprise due to her recent break-up with ex-husband Carey Hart), and while they are unlikely to depress you, Funhouse is Miss P!nk's most mature offering yet - and a fantastic one at that. With the fantastic lead-single So What lifting the album to high heights, expect P!nk to have another roaring success with this album, and God bless, because she and the album really deserve it.

1. So What [3:36] | As aforementioned, the debut single from the album, which has went to number one in eight countries (so far), and also on the Global United World Chart where it is her sixth number one there. No questioning why; this corker of a track truly deserves it. It's not very often a fantastic, catchy pop song like this will come along these days, and (although I'm sure everyone's heard it by now) check out the instrumentation at the end of the song; it's epic.

2. Sober [4:13] | Planned second single from the album, and a fantastic track to follow the amazing lead single. This is very 2001-ish, very M!ssundaztood, which was also an awesome album, so if you liked that album, you'll surely love this song. A wise choice for second single, it'll most certainly be another hit for P!nk.

3. I Don't Believe You [4:35] | No. Words. This song is just ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. A breath-taking, heart-breaking lyric provided with no more than only acoustic instrumentation, this may be her finest ballad ever, and possibly her best track ever altogether (though there are SO many gems on this album, ha!). No doubt written about her heartbreak with Carey, I Don't Believe You is definitely one to listen out for. The album is worth paying the price just for this track alone in my honest opinion.

4. One Foot Wrong [3:26] | Very bluesy song; although this song is still mind-blowingly fantastic, it's the only one on the album I haven't completely fallen in love with yet. The song is strictly about troubles as P!nk sings "Somebody gets it, I'm gonna fall" / "The lights are on, but I'm in the dark." VERY relative song, I'm certain everybody will find something they can relate to that links to this track.

5. Please Don't Leave Me [3:53] | Up there with I Don't Believe You as my favourite song on Funhouse and my favourite P!nk song altogether. This is beautifully written and produced, VERY emotional; you can hear the pain in her voice, particularly during the third verse. Another extremely upbeat, catchy tune; although it's about pain, as I said, it's unlikely to bring you down, infact quite the opposite. BRILLIANT track.

6. Bad Influence [3:38] | Here the listener gets treated to a combination of P!nk and Danja (who produced Britney's "Blackout" album and works with the likes of Timbaland). It works EXTREMELY well and, while is still kept in grand P!nk style, it's very funky and the chorus is one of the catchiest hooks! Yet another standout, but there are just too many, speaking of which...

7. Funhouse [3:26] | ...the title track. This funky 70/80s disco take is also a different direction for P!nk, and the musical changes during the song (there are two) are a pleasant surprise. This song represents the whole feel of the album: "This use to be a funhouse, but now it's full of evil clowns." It's as if to say life isn't what it seems, but we're still having fun. The countdown is also EXTREMELY fun (no pun itended, but it really is). Dance along and sing along.

8. Crystal Ball [3:28] | The second fully acoustic track on the album. And what a gorgeous song it is. The subject matter speaks about not knowing what the future holds, but liking it that way: "Fortune teller says maybe you will go to hell, but I'm not scared at all." This one may be one of the most beautiful, emotional lyrics she has ever written also, it's very inspiring too: "I've felt that fire and I've been burned but I wouldn't trade the pain for what I've learned." Very true, very honest song.

9. Mean [4:19] | Wow! And here we are introduced to Country P!nk! She's back to her usual agressive ways, though, cussing here and there and giving the impression of an angry emotion. Not that this is a bad thing; the song works well with P!nk's fabulous vocal and, if this were to be sent to Country radio, I'm sure it'd blow up! Great, new direction, and again, the album may be worth the purchase on this track alone if you want to hear this new side of P!nk.

10. It's All Your Fault [3:54] | There are so many songs on the set that could be released as a (successful) single; this here is no expection. A fast, furious, angry, bitchy take on a breakup: "It's all your fault, you called me beautiful, you turned me out, and I can't turn back," It's All Your Fault will be sure to please the listener's ear!

11. Ave Mary A [3:17] | This one really needs to be paid full attention to. P!nk sings of some of the unfortunate ongoings in this world today; another VERY emotional, all the same impressive number: "If the darkest hour comes before the light, where is the light?" / "I can't help thinkin' that we lost the plot, suicide bomber and a student shot." Fantastic take on today's society, P!nk really captures all the scenes well.

12. Glitter In The Air [3:48] | The closure of the album, and the third and final ballad/acoustic performance taken from the set. VERY tearjearking; this album includes P!nk's best ballads and this is no expection - once again, OUTSTANDING, AMAZING, heart-shattering, emotional vocals and instruments, and the bridge in this song may just be the most emotional - and best vocal she has ever delivered: "There you are in the garden, clutching my coffee, calling me sugar. You called me sugar." Listen to her voice go!

On a sidenote, the UK also get the brilliant "Boring" and "This Is How It Goes Down" (featuring Travis McCoy of Gym Class Heroes), as well as the enhanced video for "So What" as bonus features. These are all the more reason to buy the album!

A fantastic return from P!nk; I'm sure she'll go far with this one, and I for one sure hope she does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: Funhouse (Audio CD)
Pink at her best. If you like Pink you'll love this, if you don't like Pink you'll still think it's good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag, 1 Nov 2008
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Can it really be two years since Ms Moore's last album 'I'm Not Dead' echoed
around the red flock wallpapered walls of The Wolfcave ?

As a longtime admirer of this feisty young woman and her work The Wolf finds
himself just a little disappointed with this latest offering.

Having said this her weakest efforts are still head and shoulders above the competition.

The energy we have come to expect is still there to some degree but the quality of
the writing is more than a little lacklustre at times.
Truth be told here and there our heroine's heart doesn't seem to be fully in it.

That said there are still some very fine moments.

'Please Don't Leave Me' is up there with the best of her back catalogue.
A mordant mid-tempo rocker, mixing spite and pathos in equal measure.

'So What', 'Bad Influence', 'Funhouse' and 'Boring' are blandly formulaic,
unconvincing makeweights.

'Sober', 'Ave Mary A' and especially the magnificently angry
'It's All Your Fault' are much closer to the real deal. Raw, edgy and committed.

'Mean' and 'One Foot Wrong' are perhaps the albums lowpoints.
Production and performances leaning towards lazy, undisciplined bathos.

'This Is How It Goes Down' is a real stinker.

The quieter, more reflective moments provided by 'Crystal Ball' and 'Glitter In The Air'
are both well sung and provide a little welcome respite.

A mixed bag then.

Her hardcore fans will doubtless welcome this release unquestioningly.

The Wolf, for his part, looks forward to a return to form next time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong album from P!nk, 21 April 2009
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Funhouse (Audio CD)
I wouldn't necessarily regard myself as an avid Pink fan-but yet at the same time every single Pink album I own has surprised me by just how good it is! Misunderstood was fantastic, I'm Not Dead was another great and very strong album-but I still buy Pink albums based on the strength of the singles rather than simply the fact they are released. So What is instantly catchy and unforgettable-and it more than convinced me to buy the album-'So What' is quite standalone on the album in terms of its own particular style, although clearly you couldn't fill an album with songs like 'So What' and it would be unpleasant to do so!
1.So What-As I said catchy, quirky pop music, but it is the kind of song that you get a little bored of after a few listens. 8/10
2.Sober-A real angsty ballad, and a definite grower. 8/10
3.I Don't Believe You-A sumptuous ballad, perfection! 10/10
4.One Foot Wrong-Initially this was my favourite song of the collection, a kind of country, Western classic. 9/10
5.Please Don't Leave Me-If I had to choose one song from the album as my favourite this would be it-the video almost ruins it a bit for me, as it turns a heartbreaker into a bit of a joke, but the song is fantastic. 10/10
6.Bad Influenece-Uptempo Pink returns here and again its catchy pop! 8/10
7.Funhouse-Not my favourite song of the album, but its ok. 7/10
8.Crystal Ball-Another extremely strong ballad. 9/10
9.Mean-Another country-esque song, its good if a tiny bit generic. 7/10
10.It's All Your Fault-A rocky ballad-pretty good. 7/10
11.Ave Maria A-Its OK and the verse is better than the chorus. 6/10
12.Glitter In The Air-An absolutely beautiful ballad. Perfect. 10/10
13.This Is How It Goes Down-Almost spoils the atmosphere after the beautiful Glitter In The Air, but in itself its a good song. 7/10

Overall there are some great and very strong angsty ballads on here, the uptempo numbers are also good and overall its a very solid album, not a classic, or as good as Misunderstood, but its another very strong P!nk showing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funhouse . . ., 7 Feb 2009
This review is from: Funhouse (Audio CD)
The thing with P!nk is that she never makes the same record twice and she never tries to follow trends. While keeping to her original style of her first album Can't Take Me Home would have been a safe option for a follow up she decided to release something different which has caused her not only greater success and longevity but also made her a more interesting artist to follow.

Saying that Funhouse isn't as different to her previous album, I'm Not Dead, than for example Try This was to M!ssundaztood or Missundaztood was to Can't Take Me Home. She had collaborated with the same producers and writers, bar the introduction of No Doubt's Tony Kanal. Still, despite using these same people P!nk is not telling the same stories as before. It is more a developed continuation then a new direction.

This album is kicked off with the incredible 'So What', one of the stand out tracks on the album. It is also one of the many songs that deal with her heartbreak after her divorce and one of the faster tracks. Other fast tracks include 'Bad Influence', sounding like up to date Britney, and 'It's Not Your Fault', a popular track but my least favourite owing to it sounding like a more generic Kelly Clarkson than P!nk.

The follow up singles to 'So What', including Sober and Please Don't Leave Me, are far more representative of the album as a whole. Other song's showing P!nk's vulnerable side include 'I Don't Believe You' and 'Glitter in the Air'. Despite some winners, like 'Funhouse' and 'Crystal Ball' not all songs hit the mark, I mean, what is 'One Foot Wrong' all about?

I am a P!nk fan and of course love this album but would I recommend it to non-P!nk fans and people who liked I'm Not Dead but not the rest of her back catalogue? Yes, but before I let them listen I would offer these few warnings . . .

1) This is not as pop driven and commerical as I'm Not Dead.
2) The majority of the songs deal with heartbreak. If you like P!nk because of the wide range of issues she deals with in her albums then you will be disappointed.
3) P!nk does not have the desire to follow trends. Some of her songs are not what you would expect from a "pop star". 'Mean' sounds more like an Elvis Presley country rock track and 'Ave Mary A' is just so . . . different.

This album is worth testing out. It holds some real beauties but it fails to introduce us to a new side to P!nk, making us think, what will she do next?

Despite all these negatives it is a still one killer of a record!

5.0 out of 5 stars P!NK - Funhouse, 21 Jan 2009
M. Eades - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funhouse (Audio CD)
P!nk is back ... AND BETTER THAN EVER !!!

No matter who you are .. what kind of music You're into , there is something here for you !

So what - Catchy as hell ! Perfect first single choice !

Sober - Amazing lyrics accompanied by a haunting , dark backing track

I Dont Believe you - Breathtaking , Beautiful ballad .. simple accoustic track , amazing !

One Foot Wrong - Very Bluesy track , a hidden gem . Takes a few listens but stick with it !

Please Dont Leave me - The Official 3rd single from the album , and a perfect choice ! another catchy pop number but with amazing lyrics , you can hear the pain in her voice ! great track !

Bad Influence - BEST SONG EVER ! definately has to be a single ! *LORDY LORDY LORDY , I CANT HELP IT I LIKE TO PARTY ITS GENETIC !* simply amazing !

Funhouse - The title track of the album , Catchy but with lyrics to make you think , fun track , and the countdown is wicked to sing along to !

Crystal Ball - WOW! Pink sings about not knowing what the future holds and liking it like that ! beautiful accoustic track .

Mean - This Aerosmith inspired ballad really shows off her vocals ! * you used to hold the door for me now you cant wait to leave , you used to send me flowers if you f--ked up in my dreams... how did we get so mean ?* awesome track , perfect karaoke track! should be the 5th single after bad influence !

Its All your fault - This song has Kelly Clarkson written all over it ! but better ! another catchy track with heartfelt lyrics * its all your fault , you called me beautiful , you turned me out and now i cant turn back* another sing along track ! awesome !

Ave Mary A - AMAZING ! an up-tempo number with (again) brilliant lyrics about how the world is full of hate and anger *where did you go? , where did you go ?, how did you know to get out of a world gone mad?!* , pink also shows slight rapping skills , impressive !

Glitter in the air - This song is like a game of 20 questions , but theyre all very good ones ! * have you ever fed a lover with just your hands ? closed your eyes and trusted just trusted ? have you ever thrown a fistful of glitter in the air? have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just dont care' ?* beautiful track !

*bonus tracks- Boring
This is how it goes down

This album is a MUST have for any pink fan , or indeed ANYONE !!! full of amazing heartfelt lyrics paired with beautiful melodys and catchy hooks .. without a doubt the album of the year 2008-2009 !!