5.0 out of 5 stars i got lucky
this is a very good cd fantastic original front cover art work plus some nice songs.

best regurds george.
Published on 28 Jan 2010 by George Arnold

3.0 out of 5 stars MOVIE SONGS FROM THE '60s
Published on 4 April 2009 by tommyboo

3.0 out of 5 stars MOVIE SONGS FROM THE '60s, 4 April 2009
This review is from: I Got Lucky (Audio CD)
You could be forgiven for thinking this will be an all-shaking, all-kicking, live on stage album. The front cover of a jumpsuited 1970s Elvis deceives you into thinking so. Well it isn't that at all. Many Presley budget albums (Camden label) were marketed in this manner during the seventies - mainly in an attempt to move Elvis' less desirable 1960s movie soundtrack material.

What we have here is a collection from his '60s movie tracks, albeit the better ones. It is well known that many of Presley's 1960s film soundtracks were usually B grade vehicles and made strictly to fit the movie scripts. And no one disliked them more than Elvis himself. To make matters worse, the editors and producers usually re-mixed them to bring his voice to the forefront, leaving the band almost as background. This practice was criminally done at his manager's instructions and without Elvis' knowledge. So what the public end up hearing is what his management wanted us to hear - not what Elvis approved.

Having said that, this album has some of Presley's catchier 60's movie songs. Most are 'up-tempo', with a few romantic film ballads. Compare these tracks with his earlier ground shaking 1950s material and the later more dynamic 1970s output, and you will see how seriously mismanaged or misdirected Elvis was during his 1960s movie-making phase.

Still, it's well worth a listen.

Tracks: I Got Lucky - What a Wonderful Life - I Need Somebody to Lean On - Yoga is as Yoga Does - Riding the Rainbow - Fools Fall in Love - Love Machine - Home is Where the Heart is - You Gotta Stop - If You Don't Think I Need You. (10 tracks)

5.0 out of 5 stars i got lucky, 28 Jan 2010
George Arnold - See all my reviews

best regurds george.

5.0 out of 5 stars I got Lucky!, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: I Got Lucky (Audio CD)
A short album but knew what I was buying. Especially like the title track. Going to listen to it lots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: I Got Lucky (Audio CD)
I love this item I brought it for my girlfriend and her sister as there vinyal was scratched. Thank you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but great nostalgia., 3 Aug 2012
AMK (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Got Lucky (Audio CD)
This is the first Elvis album anyone ever bought me (Christmas 1976, if I remember correctly), so while this is by no means from the top drawer, I have a soft spot for it. And it was also the album that got me more interested in his music.

As with almost all the RCA Camden budget albums the main aim was to shift the less popular 60s movie music or more obscure songs in Elvis' back catalogue. Production values or maintaining the creative standing of the artist were not issues here. Chances are that Elvis may not even have been aware of their existence.

Unlike some of the other Camden albums, such as 'Separate Ways', this one didn't have any contemporary tracks although the album showed an early 70s Elvis on stage on the cover. Nevertheless, this is a nice 'second division' album with, in the main, nice poppy 'bubble gum' soft rockers, especially the title song 'I Got Lucky'. 'Home is Where the Heart Is', a pleasant, little known ballad from the movies is also included.

Not for those who want the big hits, more for the completist or those of us Elvis fans who have childhood memories of these budget albums which were, for many like myself, some of the first Elvis albums they ever saw. I should also make the very, very nerdy point that the cover of this album was slightly different for the British market in that the cover picture had a red/pink border so that the microphone stand couldn't be seen and the lettering was different.

Finally, ironically, because these once ubiquitous albums are very rare and often on import only they are more expensive than the 'proper' RCA output. Might make you think twice about getting this...

5.0 out of 5 stars YES A GREAT ELVIS ALBUM, 30 Jan 2009
Mr. Stephen Brown (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Got Lucky (Audio CD)
This was one of the first Elvis Albums I ever got back in the 70's. So nice to see this on CD. A great album at a great price. Buy this album.

ARRAY(0xa3d1a0d8)

I Got Lucky
I Got Lucky by Elvis Presley (Audio CD - 2008)