4.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Debut
Published on 15 Mar 2006 by obi-w00t

3.0 out of 5 stars ... up the top falls off Apart from that I love this
Arrived damaged- every time you open the case up the top falls off

Apart from that I love this CD
Published 1 month ago by Pippa Connor

4.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Debut, 15 Mar 2006
This review is from: Inside In/Inside Out (Audio CD)
This album is bursting with energy. It takes the excited, almost child-like glee and presence of pop-rock with the sound of great indie. What you get is music that sound great, even on repeat, and a band that is also highly likeable. They sound like the kind of people you would want to meet in a pub and have a light-hearted chat with. This album features some great songs ("Sofa Song" stands out, as well as "Eddie's Gun") and I would recommend it to anyone. It seems suitable for any mood or occasion. With that glowing praise I still can't give it 5 stars as that 5th star is reserved for albums of legendary status. This album is very good, buy it now and let it all go.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST FOR ANY KOOKS FAN, 18 Oct 2006
This CD includes songs taken from two live acoustic shows (one at Abbey Road and one in Osaka, Japan).

I am a massive Kooks fan and it was great to listen to the songs from their album "Inside In Inside Out" acoustically, recorded live.

The above amazon track listing is not correct, but the CD does feature most of the songs listed, plus a brilliant version of "California".

There is even a bit of commentary between songs from Luke Pritchard, as he talks to the audience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 20 Jan 2006
This review is from: Inside In/Inside Out (Audio CD)
Having been introduced to the Kooks through a friend, and was even booked tickets to see them before I had ever heard a song by them - I was genuinely impressed when I was given an advance of this album by the same friend.
The album starts with an acoustic Coldplay-type track named 'Seaside'. Although at first this was the track I initially skipped, I find myself frequently reciting the lyrics in my head.
The album continues to be strong throughout. Luke Pritchard's vocal range is staggering and his Brighton accent remains an infectious attraction all through the solid album.
The standout track is without a doubt 'Niave' which has some superb vocal lines that are bound to stay in your head for days. The guitars sound great on this track, but again Pritchard sells the song with sheer brilliance.
Other standout tracks include the seemingly monotone 'Ooh La' - that eventually develops into a great middle track for the album.
Perhaps my only criticisms are the lyrics. Whilst some may find them straightforward and to the point, in my mind they lack any real depth. (Eg. "I want you back, please give it me back). Additionally, there are some experimental tracks - namely 'Match Box' that perhaps, whilst showing diversity, should have been left out.
Nevertheless, a superb album by some talented Indie lads. It is refreshing to see a young British band producing such catchy stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars I listened to this three times in a row. It's that good!, 4 Feb 2006
Mr. Cj Jothi (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside In/Inside Out (Audio CD)
Right, so you're being hit over the head by the ever growing hype of the cool Arctic Monkeys and then another one of those "The ..." bands comes along and you think, 'not again'. And that's where you've made your mistake, because The Kooks are not just another one of THOSE bands. They are so much more.
On the off chance I listened to my friends copy of this album and heard Seaside and that pretty much sold the band to me. I discovered the joy of living in a coastal town during university (sunny Bournemouth if you're wondering) and something so simple as track one, where lead singer Pritchard invites the listener "Do you want to go to the seaside?", connected with me on such a simple yet emotional level that I haven't experienced since Counting Crows' debut album.
Any way, that is just 1 minute and 40 seconds long and is different to everything that follows. The next 13 tracks contain addictive riffs, very passionate vocals and a sound that stands out from anything out there at the moment. The lyrics can certainly be improved upon, and it does not provide as much variety as such stellar debuts as Definitely Maybe or Parachutes (yes, it's this good that I will even dare compare it to those masterpieces). But in Ooh La, She Moves In Her Own Way, Naive, Jackie Big Tits and Time Awaits (they wa it opens and ends sounds like two drastically different songs; amazing!) you have enough singles here to make other bands blush. As a result I booked tickets to see them at the Astoria, bought two copies of the album (well my girlfriend can't seriously be borrowing mine now can she?!) and will be telling every mate of mine to listen to them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not at all bad, 24 Aug 2007
Cuban Heel "Neil Schiller" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Inside In/Inside Out (Audio CD)
I couldn't disagree more with the opinion that this album only has one good track on it. It's not a classic album - not by a long shot - but it's a decent debut with some pretty catchy songs. My favourites are 'Seaside', 'Ooh La' and the two biggest singles 'You Don't Love Me' and 'She Moves in her Own Way'. But there are some other good songs on there too (and yeah, a couple that aren't quite so great)...

I guess it depends on the expectations you bring to an album like this. With the last couple of years in British music being, in my opinion, pretty dire, this was a nice surprise for me. A bit raw around the edges perhaps, but well put together, decent song writing, and some impressive musicianship (I saw a live acoustic version of 'Ooh La' on what I think was the Glastonbury coverage last year, and the guitar playing on that was fantastic - that's what convinced me to buy the cd).

Good to sing along to. Enjoyable. Puts a bit of faith back in the British music scene. You can't ask for an awful lot more than that can you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, Must Have., 11 Mar 2006
This review is from: Inside In/Inside Out (Audio CD)
This album is amazing, forget the Artic Monkeys, Hard Fi's, Franz Ferdinands etc because the Kooks blow them all away with this stunning debut album.
The album is so varied with standout tracks "She Moves In Her Own Way", "Sofa Song","Eddie's Gun" and "Ooh La".
If you're a fan of Indie/Rock - The Kooks will be at T In the Park, Isle Wight, and Oxygen festivals this summer.
Finally if you've never heard of the Kooks they are releasing "Naive" on March 27th 2006.
Kooks Fans - lets hope it hits number 1!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I've heard in a long time, 1 Jun 2006
A. Drake "Drake-STAR" (South-West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside In/Inside Out (Audio CD)
I'm not going to come on here and write a load of stuff thinking I'm some great music critic. Straight up, this is one of the best albums I've heard in my 23 years on this planet. It's not a grower, it's bang on the money from the first time you hear it. I'm going to see them in October and I can't wait. Naive is not the best song on the album, far from it. Buy it, I promise it will be the smartest money you'll ever spend. The first song is soooooo good. One last comment, 5 stars are not enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 8 May 2006
This review is from: Inside In/Inside Out (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the back of hearing Naive on the radio. Naive is an amazing song but it's one of the worst on the album, that tells you just how good Inside In/Inside Out is. It's one of those imense albums where every song is amazing, the last (relitevly) recent album i heard that even came close to such afeet was Hot Fuss(Killers) or perhaps There's Nothing Left to Loose(foos).

Inside in inside out keeps you on your toes with lots of quite short (2-3min)tracks.(no short songs have been so good since the Britpop classic Song 2, Wooohooo!). They're constantly moving on to yet anouther amazing one, with great acoustic guitar,lyrics and vocals this is the best indie album for yonks

Get it!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Infectious Indie, 5 July 2006
M. Gardner "Afro Matt" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Inside In/Inside Out (Audio CD)
From the moment that Seaside begins, you will be utterly hooked with this album. The hooks are infectious and addictive, and Luke Pritchard's voice neither overpowers nor fades into obscurity but floats along in perfect accompaniment to the acoustic arrangements behind it. The opening track is far from conventional, as opening tracks go, but that is part of the beauty of it and sets the tone for what is to come in splendid style. Naive is the song that most will probably recognise, but by no means towers over this album. Rather, this is most certainly a wonderful slice of indie rock that is never intrusive but begs to be listened to from start to finish.

Glorious!

4.0 out of 5 stars great album at a time of awful music., 31 July 2006
This review is from: Inside In/Inside Out (Audio CD)
Basically, i dont like much modern music. Most i find is commercialised bland rubbish, with loads of studio tweaking and poor musicianship. This album, in my opninion, is one of the best of recent times. Lets go through the standout tracks in my opinion:

1: Seaside. Quite frankly i cant imagine a much better opener. this is emotive and enjoyable, and quite sad if youve already got the blues im sure!

3: Sofa song: This is great to dance to at parties and the lyrics and first guitar solo are very happy (theres no other way to describe it).

5: Ooh la: Just catchy

6: You dont love me: Slightly too indie but the first part of the song especially is catchy nd fun.

7: She moves in her own way: Most peoples tout for the gest song on the album i think, and i would agree, wonderful lyrics, catchy, summery and a good guitar solo too.

8: Matchbox: Quite odd in my opinion but one of my favourite tracks on the album

9: Naive: Overplayed on the radio but still a wonderful song that will ahve you singing along throughout

13: Time Awaits: The only of the latter songs that i really like, this is amazing and the in/out phasing guitar at the end puts me in mind that things are going to be big for this band in the future

Overall, this album is not my usual taste in music. im not really an indie fan (i dont liek babyshambles, libertines, aric monkeys etc) and yet this is my kind of album - it shows that there are great things to come and that the singer has a great maturity especially. Im a massive skynyrd, zeppelin and lizzy fan, and yet this will certainly be played by me alot!!!

buy it now and dont listen to the other people who have had a go at this on here!!!

Inside In / Inside Out