Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£3.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

.....But not an entirely unpleasant on. It does take some getting used to though. The first two albums were very guitar based and this leans heavily to a more electropop direction, so it seems very weird at first. 'No you girls' 'What She Came For' and 'Live Alone' is a very catchy typically Franz rock/pop song in the vein of 'Do you want to' but the other tracks so elements of Orange Juice/Lyndsey wells/8O's synth/90's break beats. The tempo of the songs often change at the beginning and mid stream e.g. 'Bite Hard, What She Came Fo" which makes all the more exciting and creative. 'Katherine Kiss Me', the last track is slow and acoustic and seems abit of an odd choice to end on. If you are sole fan of guitar based music - stay way. But if you like twists and turns and fancy something varied I heartily recommend it.
on 11 February 2009
This album has had mixed reviews in the press, but don't be put off. This is a quality set of songs, some of which ("No You Girls, "Bite Hard", "What She Came For") stand out as instantly catchy candidates for singles, but the more I listen to the album, the harder I find it to decide which song I like best. They are all so good in their own way. At the moment, "Live Alone" is my favourite. It's insanely danceable and the lyrics show a rejection of true commitment in favour of the excitement and thrill of love. The comfortable and routine is not for Alex Kapranos! As with previous Franz albums,the lyrics, melodies and hooks are still there. It takes a few listens before they are fully revealed, but the album is all the better for it. Although the songs stand well along, to do them full justice, I think this is best listened to as an album, as it truly is a journey through preparing for, enjoying and recovering from a great night out. Buy the album and make up your own mind.
on 17 December 2008
This is so worth the wait. If you're holding your breathe wondering why it's taken a while relax. Tonight is as fresh and immediate as their debut but darker, tighter, and way more psychedelic. The LP opens with current single Ulysses, setting an insistent and edgy pace. Turn It On, Live Alone, and Bite Hard all feel like they're wearing sunglassses after dark the night after the night before. Lucid Dreams is twisted and trippy, it's followed by Dream Again an even further out twist. For the whole of Tonight, they're once again the hippest band in the UK, way out there on their own. Finishing with Katherine Kiss Me, one of their most instant head to feet to party numbers. Whoever Katherine is - Tell Her Tonight!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 February 2009
So, I'll nail my colours to the mast and admit that I loved the first FF album; liked the second a lot, and am definitely impressed by the third after several listens. A lot has been said here about the album's style and content so I'll stick to writing a review that should be helpful to prospective buyers.

Like Bloc Party (yes I like them too `Hornpipe'!) FF have bravely attempted to avoid merely treading water and started to push their own boundaries a little. I agree with the previous reviewer who said that the burgeoning electronic aspect has resulted in the band's trademark edgy guitars being dumbed down; however they are at least trying to be fresh - bringing in influences from the likes of Human League, Gary Numan and Pet Shop Boys is fine - as long as it's not overdone. I thought that the second track on the album was the most like FF of old; Ulysses is a cool name for a cool track; at least they're embracing our rich cultural history rather than simply recycling old names!

The dub-style bonus CD reworks the songs rather than simply extending them and is a real nod to faithful fans. Lie down, turn out the lights, stick some decent headphones on and crank up the volume on this one.

Recognisable but fresh; spirited but thoughtful; I would recommend this as both a good way in for those who are unfamiliar with FF, and a treat for those who have followed the band over the past seven years.
on 14 February 2009
I absolutely love Franz Ferdinand's self titled debut, so even before listening to this album I guess I would be biased into enjoying it. The first 3 tracks are very enjoyable, moreso with "Turn It On" and "No You Girls" being more of the traditional FF sound which I'm used to hearing. However, it is obvious they are experimenting with keyboard synth sounds, as can be heard on "Ulysses", "Twilight Omens", and "Live Alone". The songs do work, and are very danceable and catchy, with that trademark simple picky bass line. Some of these songs still incorparate the rocky elements of FF, but others are of a completely style, particularly "Can't Stop Feeling". It seems that these types of song contrast each other a little too much, if you stripped away the vocal you may think that this album was recorded by two different bands. The final two songs are different once again to the rest of the album. The bass seems to be more inventive than usual, standing out on "Send Him Away".

I rate this album a 4 because FF have done a decent effort of maintaining elements of their reputed sound, whilst still experimenting with new layers and sounds over the top. Some songs are very memorable and catchy - but be warned, if you don't like bands that experiment with their sound, this may not be for you.
on 3 February 2009
I am truly wondered at this album. Franz Ferdinand have been able to reinvent themselves and yet still keep their essence, their unique sound. I don't know how exactly that can be explained in words - you just have to listen to it.

The songs don't all sound the same like in previous albums (though I still loved them), some border on dance, others on garage rock, others on some kind 'dirty pop' and parts of others yet... you think you're listening to house music!

The resulting sounds are very refreshing and show that Franz Ferdinand are definitely not a one[album]-hit wonder. If they keep doing this they will surely continue being very successful in the long term. This is material for being a great rock band until for another decade or two.

You will thank me if you follow my advice to put this on the car stereo when you're sitting in the traffic; you will gain a bounce in your feet if you're listening to this on your MP3 player when you're going up and down escalators on the Tube; the sky will be bluer when you're by the pool in the Med.

Just quit reading this and other reviews, buy the whole album (only one or two tracks won't do!) and enjoy the music.
on 3 February 2009

on 17 March 2009
The album,takes a little getting into, but its relentless beat (until Katherine Kiss Me) takes you out for a night you'll never come home from ;-)

The vinyl edition is superb. Two discs, top notch pressing and a big sturdy cover that won't get dog eared over time. Of course, worth getting the 2CD edition as well for Blood (The Dub remixes), but if there is one vinyl album you have to get in 2009 it's this one. So good, you'll want to buy a turntable if you haven't got one.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This album is a really good one and i would reccomend to any franz ferdinand supporters to buy this one as its possibly the best of 3 albums! More amazing base lines and amazing music from the band.
- The album came perfectly on the first day of the expected delivery date and was in mint condition. fab! by it now!!!!!!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This new album, long awaited after a long absence from actively pursuing the music scene by Franz Ferdinand. It's more mature and experimental, and although it has been slated by some people, I feel that this is because these people had typecast FF as jaunty-whimsical one trick ponies, capable only of releasing music along the lines of their first two albums, and because this is different, it shocked and disappointed these people, who perhaps did not give it a fair listen for this reason. I listened to it objectively, although with anticipation, as a fan of FF since the beginning. I have gone into a few stand-out tracks below in further detail. There are no songs I would skip over on this album though, and I recommend it, although I'd recommend you get the 2 disc special edition; I wish I had!!

Ulysses opens the album with a very different sound compared to what we're used to from Franz Ferdinand. It's got elements of classic FF with the chorus, but the overall instrumental sounds like something you'd hear in a chic bar; slow with a steady, defined beat.

Twilight Omens is another slow track, but with more instrumentals to pad out the steady overall rhythm than we had heard on Ulysses. Much as before, it's classic FF with a more mature twist. There are some silly and amusing lyrics here, which reminds us it IS definitely FF; the references to puerile activities involving a calculator certainly made me smile.

No You Girls is a very cool and a livelier track than the first two and sounds more like FF of old than what we've heard from this album so far. The guitar mid-section really, really went right back to early FF and I loved it.

Live Alone is the most catchy track so far, very remeniscent of early FF with a funky bassline and easy to sing-along-to vocals with a very commercially viable sound (possible future single release?) and an electronic addition. Certainly a personal favourite track.

Lucid Dreams is the most out-there, different from the usual FF track on this album, with some warping and distortion on certain parts of the instrumentals but still sounding coherent, accessible and appealing to fans of the band.