• Flesh

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 23 May 2002
I bought this many moons ago on its original release. It was a bit of a 'punt' in that I'd only heard two of David's songs on a Jools Holland late night show and hoped that the rest of the cd matched this high quality. I was not disappointed.
How it has taken this man so long to really break in to the big time is quite beyond me. His song writing then as it is now is achingly good.
Instrumentation is relatively simple but a perfect accompaniment to the passion of the vocal. Whether it be uptempo numbers like 'What are you' and 'Made up my mind' or the gentler 'Light', as with White Ladder, the tune sticks in your head straight away. I would also add that if a more simple yet equally beautiful summation of love can be found than 'Falling Free', I've yet to hear it.
Recent David Gray converts go get this, you won't be disappointed.
on 6 June 2001
This is the album that should have started it all. With the recent success of his forth album, "White Ladder," and his new release, "Lost Songs," comes the re-issue of "Flesh," an album filled with stories of a tortured man and lost soul. The first track, "What Are You," sounds like something out of a melodramatic movie script. Talking to himself, it seems, Gray finds all of his faults, (or maybe it's the faults of the world?) With fire in his voice, he's a man searching for an answer ("And what is that you're wearing?/Money's ugly confidence/You sacrificed the poem of your imagination/For these pounds and pence.") Then there are the songs of love, such as "Falling Free" and "Mystery of Love," where he takes on a much different persona. Just by listening to him, you can see the calm in his eyes, the steadiness of his hands, and you can hear the soul in his words. This album goes from rage to love, back to that anger and then to a redeeming ending note. A very diverse album, this deserves to be a part of everyone's collection. It's the kind of album you could just sit and listen to on a rainy day, and by the end, you would feel like you were whole.
on 3 January 2004
Like alot of david gray fans I started first heard his music when 'White Ladder' (also an excellent album) was realeased. The first song of his I heard was of course 'Babylon' and I was hooked as soon as I heard it. At first I thought that 'White Ladder' was his best album untill I bought 'flesh'. There isn't a bad song on the album and my personal favourite is 'The Light'. This is a must have album for any true david gray fan.
on 8 February 2003
I can't agree with the first reviewer. Hit and miss? This is the most consistent album David Gray has ever made, and whatever he says himself, this is his best so far, better than White Ladder.
David seems to me to have had a slight tendency over his career, and I do mean slight, to change semething on each album to try to open up a larger audience.
Before White Ladder, as another reviewer commented, he sang with very pronounced r's and with a very distinctive lilt to his voice, but to me, that is David Gray, and it doesn't matter.
With 'Sell, Sell, Sell', in came the "na na na's" ! But that is also a fine album.
With White Ladder, the electronics were introduced and various events brought about a huge hit album, which he has very much deserved.
Gray has made consistently good albums for several years now, for me Flesh is his best and most consistent; the songwriting and guitar work better than in any of his other albums, both of those aspects of this album are of stunning beauty.
The lyrics are probably the most beautiful poetry I've heard anybody sing.
I would recommend this and 'Sell, Sell, Sell' to anyone who has discovered David Gray since White Ladder; all three are different albums but each have their own strengths and are well worth your attention.
Check out 'Coming Down', 'Mystery of Love', 'New Horizons' and 'Flesh' for examples of what I have described, plus the upbeat charm of 'Made up my mind' and 'Loves old song'. Great stuff!
on 11 May 2002
While it was the beauty of 'White Ladder' that brought me to David Gray, it was his incredible work on 'Flesh' that held me.
It's not often I come across an album (or a songwriter, for that matter) where I don't have to skip around to find the songs I like. Every song on 'Flesh' is a winner. From the angry opener 'What Are You?' (It doesn't matter who your ex is or what caused the break-up, you'll think of them when you hear this.) to the romance-inspiring 'Mystery of Love', this album is an emotional rollercoaster...and an utter joy to listen to. No matter what you're feeling at any given time, the theme song for your emotion can be found on 'Flesh'.
If 'White Ladder' was a tease, 'Flesh' fulfills the promise. David Gray's stark imagery and gripping melodies push you to the edge only to pull you back into the ring for another go round. A must for every CD collection.
on 20 July 2000
I first heard 'Flesh' in 1994 and couldn't believe my ears. The acid wit, thunderously angry lyrics and hard edged instrumentation. I was angry with myself for not having discovered him before. Tracks like 'What are you' and 'Loves old song' make the hackles rise, while 'New horizons' and 'Coming down' have a cold sentimentality without a trace of self pity. Hear them for yourself. Equally brilliant are the albums 'A century ends' 'White ladder' and don't forget 'Sell sell sell' an album which for some insane reason was deleted but I believe now re-issued (listen to the track 'Folk song' on this album. It blows you away. And whatever you do, go and see this man live. He's as good as his word.
on 25 September 2004
No. This album is a 5 star album, however in comparison to century end's its only 4. this album starts with what are you and at first, it was the only david gray song i disliked, however after a while i realised it was a really good song, mainly because it leads so well into one of Grays best songs, The Light. This album does have a few iffy tracks, like loves old songs, but songs like coming down and new horizons boost this album. the problems gray had with this album was tough, but he still managed to create a stand out album
on 29 June 2000
With songs like What are you, Light, Coming down and Falling free, this album is yet another classic. I had never heard of David Gray until I heard the Song Babylon which I brought and on the strengh of the single I brought the albums A century Ends, Flesh and White ladder and I have made the best choice of my life as this artist is not only talented but he is a pure genius...BUY DAVID GRAYS ALBUMS a choice well worth making beleive me you wont regret buying them.
on 11 January 2000
Flesh is David's follow up to the 1994 album A Century Ends. It is one of those CD's that will make you listen a second time to be sure if you like it.. but when you stick it in the CD player for the second or third time... you'll be hooked.
VINE VOICEon 8 July 2001
Right from the first notes of the almost vitriolic "What Are You" this album is simple, pure and masterly class.
This album proves what a wonderful collection of songs were missed when this collection of tracks was commercially overlooked in what seem to DAvid like an age ago.
My personal highlight is "New Horizons" which is one of those simple songs that can lift even the most darkest of moods with it's innocent hope, beguiling lyrics and charming melodies.
In truth though, every track is a pure gem!