on 1 February 2009
The Aqua Optima jug with the added extras of a 6 pack double life cartridges was the best purchase I have made.
The filter is very easy to use, the jug has a good water capacity, 1 litre, and the fact that the cartridges are double life saves the money. There is a manual dial on the top that you set with the month that you need to change the filter.
Great value filter at an entry level price.
22 comments73 of 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2011
I have been using this filter for more than 6 months. At first, I liked it a lot. Its so much easier to fill up than my Birtax filter, and it filters the water faster than a Britax.
But the construction of the lid is a bit...... what should I say, a bit wierd. Along with the problems that others has mentioned with the lid, its almost impossible to clean certain spaces inside the upper part of the jug. Because of that, Algea (or some green substance) forms in those parts.
Its obviously not healthy.

Now I have gone back to my 4 year old Britax. On comparing both the produts, the reason that Britax still clean after 4 years is that it doesnt have any parts that are not reachable to clean. where as Aqua optima has many.

I am not left with a six months worth of catridges...

I will try to upload an image. It will make more sense than my shoddy explanation.
22 comments28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2009
This is a great buy because so many filters are included. The product is good apart from the lid. The clips to keep it secure are easily broken (I was being careful because of a previous review but still managed to break one within minutes of putting it together)and the covered spout does not allow the water to flow well when pouring. If I had the choice I wouldn't buy it again but I am stuck with it for now.
11 comment46 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2009
I purchased this a month ago and haven't drank or cooked with regular tap water since.

I'm lucky in that my tap water wasn't bad or so I thought - but with chronic health problems I have been trying to eliminate as many additives/chemicals from my diet as possible to give myself a fighting chance of recovery - thought I'd give this a go and I'm SO glad I did.

IT MAKES ORDINARY TAP WATER TASTE AND FEEL LIKE THE PUREST SPRING WATER!
Even my level headed and canny Dad agrees and is going to be buying one very soon (trust me he's nobody's fool)

This deal with the double usage cartidges is excellent - too good to miss.

On opening everything it took me 20 minutes or so of sitting down calmly with the instructions to ensure that I was doing everything correctly - but it all clicked into place in my head and in the jug. Just be careful i.e. don't be forceful when it comes to taking the top part of the jug out to change the cartridge, it fits tightly but can be removed easily if you treat it with care.

NOW THERE'S NO EXCUSE NOT TO GET YOUR 2 LITRES OF WATER PER DAY!!
0Comment30 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2013
I ordered this item on 23/10/13 using the free super saver delivery and I received it on the 26/10/13.

Within 5 mins I had assembled all the components and had purged the system with water prior to use in order to remove the chemical residue from the plastic material.

The filter is positioned 1/3 way down which you pout the water into and it filteres it in seconds. A full jugs worth of water can be fully filtered in less than a minute which is quite impressive.

The water tastes a lot cleaner than tap water and bottled water. The cats refuse to drink mains and bottle water and will only drink rain water so I was delighted to see that they drank water from the jug.

The unit fits nicely in the frigdge door and came with 6 filters which lasts for 12 months for a family of 4.

In summary: If you are looking for a system to filter your water (Pesticides, Insecticides, Chlorine, Flouride and lime scale then I would go for this one. It's excellent value for money.

If you have a spare £180+ then I would go for a distilled water system which is slightly larger but removes a significantly more amount of chemicals which is the purest water grade you can get.

Feedback: If you wish to leave feedback on this review please follow the link below - thanks.
on 3 January 2014
I find these water filters to be better than the Brita filters. It does fit in the door of the fridge (though i don't keep mine there). The water in our current flat has a definite taste, and this filter completely removes that so it is doing the job that I bought it for. Drinks taste right again! I rated 4 stars rather than 5 because - The lid fitting is a bit fiddly, but you only have to mess with that when changing the filter cartridge every 2 months. (you have to make sure it is clipped back down properly, which on mine means the alignment has to be just right) Lastly, when refilling you can't completely fill the top portion as due to the design some water leaks out of the top edge in one place on each side. A little hard to describe....basically when you refill with water, stop about a cm, or half a cm before the top resevoir is full. I am happy though and will stick with the Aqua Optima system. The Amazon price also can't be beaten on this.
on 11 April 2014
I doing some Spring cleaning and found our old Brita jug. After a few years of neglect and sick of spending 50p/ 1.5ltr bottle of highland water all the time, I decided to get some Brita filters. However it occured to me that it may in fact be cheaper to get a jug and filter than to get filters on its own.

This product is fantastic. The output water tastes as if it was ionised by the filter. It's certainly a better taste than the chlorine hard water here!

Updated feedback (18/04/2015)
Our jug has just ran out of filters and instead of buying more filters, we decided to just get this item again (albeit red 12mths which is cheaper). Still 5 stars, still fantastic bargain. Tastes great (no chlorine smell/taste and somewhat ionized taste) and great for filtering tap water/replacing bottled water.
on 3 March 2009
Aqua Optima, 12 month pack, Filter Fridge Jug with 6 x Double Life 60 Day Filters

This is a great useful filter at an excellent price. One word of warning, pay attention to which way the filter cradle is put in as it fits both ways. Only the correct application of the cradle however will accommodate the lid. I actually broke the lid because i put the cradle in incorrectly. The customer service however are fabulous. One telephone call from the instructions solved all my problems. The new lid arrived promptly the following morning and telephone instructions had me up and running in no time. one negative aspect is the size of the jug, although it fits nicely in the fridge door, there is little room for anything else. Great product though.
33 comments43 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2014
AQUA OPTIMA does not remove flouride. If you actually read about this product. This is false advertising.
on 22 December 2013
The filter is okay. The only problem is that the two chambers (filtered and unfiltered water) are not perfectly sealed from each other. If you do not wait for the water to fall down completely in the filtered container when you try to pour it in a glass some of the unfiltered water mixes up with the filtered one. Also, my filter cartridge started to work really slow after only one or two weeks, I don't know why. But the water tastes great and I can say that I drink more water now than I used to drink from the kitchen sink. And also to buy bottled water was not to great for me because I live pretty far from the nearest supermarket.