• Siren

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 9 November 2015
'Siren' (1975), Roxy Music's 5th album released in 1975, was yet another commercial success for the smooth art-rockers but, for me, the quirkiness and sheer originality of the earlier albums was just starting to wear off somewhat. The highlight here is, undoubtedly, the glorious 'Love Is The Drug' (surely a contender for best single of the decade) and, for me, it is the faster tracks which tend to grab the attention more than the slow burners although the country-infused 'Sentimental Fool' is quite stylish in its own meandering way. 'Whirlwind', 'She Sells' and the dynamic 'Both Ends Burning' certainly grabbed my attention but, overall, I think I'd probably check out 'Stranded' or 'Country Life' initially when looking to discover the Roxy back catalogue.
on 13 April 2000
This was Roxy's fifth album and their last before their initial split and it kicks off with the highly commercial 'Love Is The Drug', which is, of course, about sex, not love. Thereafter it combines rock and country elements to form what is largely a melancholy album, delivered with the utmost skill, particularly on the eerie 'Sentimental Fool' ("the knowing of fate is cruel, you ought to forget it") and the epic closer, 'Just Another High' which, in the Britpop era, would have blown the opposition out of the water. 'Whirlwind' packs a punch and 'Both Ends Burning' demonstrates the true class of Andy Mackay on saxophone and Phil Manzanera on guitar (although he did it even better live). Although not as inventive as their early albums, this is my favourite prior to their first split as I can empathise with it, but then, as Bryan Ferry sings, 'I'm just another crazy guy'.
on 28 March 2014
This more low key offering from Roxy is like an accompanyment to their strongest albums.After it they made one more really good album, "Manifesto" before a certain middle of the road blandness set in.
Ferry's lyrics are still exemplary - real pop poetry.
on 17 April 2013
By this point, Ferry and co had perhaps isolated their original fan base in their gradual shift from arty, glam rock to more mainstream, disco infused dance music. A lot of people see Siren as the start of this downward spiral and while they are perhaps right, on this album at least, their disco flavouring works quite well and in fact is only present on three tracks which oddly enough are the standouts, 'Love is The Drug' 'She Sells' and 'Both Ends Burning.'

Unfortunately there are not many other tracks on this album that can be pulled to classic status save 'Sentimental Fool' with it's brooding instrumental and eerie atmospherics proving that Roxy could still be a little sinister even at this point. However there are no such other oddities to be found hear, as the remaining tracks are all pretty standard fare.

Yet despite it all this album still warrants five stars because it does something that many of Roxy's Classic albums failed to achieve, which was capturing a thematic consistency across all of it's songs. It is this consistency of sleek, dark, elegance that really makes it work as a masterpiece when taken as a whole, with every track working together in an overall arch there is really no filler on this album at all.

Perhaps many will disagree but I do think the downward spiral begins with Manifesto, because on this album, Roxy still retained a part of themselves all be it in a different style, whereas in the future they'd follow rather than lead with their music.
on 2 July 2013
Whilst I have all the Roxy Music studio albums I have always felt that the vital unpredictability factor was lost when Eno departed. It all seemed to go just a little bit too safe. I was prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt when Stranded was released and again with Country Life, then along came Siren. Apart from the classis Love Is The Drug I have always felt it sounds more like a Bryan Ferry solo offering. I invariably expect The In Crowd to begin somewhere. This is despite several songs having dual writing credits, and to this day it remains the least played of the Roxy albums. Perhaps that is/was the problem, Andy Mackay and Phil Manzanera taking them in a different direction musically? I've no doubt that many fans will disagree though. Like Curved Air, early Cockney Rebel and for a brief spell Roxy I have always maintained that violins do not really fit comfortably with 'rock' music per se. Compare Editions Of You (For Your Pleasure) with Streetlife (Stranded) and you might see what I mean. It is clear that Eddie Jobson is a fine musician but he lacks that crucial innovative edge that to me is essential when using a synthesiser, it is not a normal keyboard! To me this downward spiral continued until their swansong - Avalon. Oh, what could have been?
on 27 July 2015
bought ths cd as my other copy is on vinyl,so i can play in the car
on 31 January 2013
I grew up listening to this album.

I mean that literally.

By the time side two had finished and the phonograph stylus found its resting position, I knew something I hadn't known before: what the words art, sound and pop music have to do with one another. Other works by Roxy/Ferry may mean more to others, but to me, Siren will always be the one.
on 9 April 2013
I just love this Roxy album... In my mind, it is up there as being one of the best Roxy Music albumns ever, alongside Stranded and Country Life.

The album was ranked number 371 on Rolling Stone magazine's 2003 list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
on 27 August 2012
Close my eyes and I'm 17 again, in my bedroom with my portable record player.......oh and my Grandad complaining about the base! He should have lived to hear my boys and thier drum and BASE !!!!!
Still love Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music, am gradually replacing my LP's with Discs to play in the car etc. This album is full of great musical arrangements and exciting use of mixed tempo tracks.....and of course the Sax!
on 8 April 2016