5.0 out of 5 stars Play Clovis first!
Published on 7 Aug. 2009 by C. Seibert

2.0 out of 5 stars not any better than 2007
Published on 24 April 2009 by London mother

2.0 out of 5 stars not any better than 2007, 24 April 2009
This review is from: Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I would stay with the 2007 version, at least you get challenged progressively by different opponents as your game improves. 2009 does not do this, you have to manually change your opponents. The campaign is dire beyond belief with some mundane story which is neither suitable for kids or adults. A total miss. Whilst the "story" rambles on and on, the campaign itself is easy, short and extremely disappointing. The additional games are fine but if you are any thing like me and want a good old game of scrabble which challenges your skills as they improve, stick with 2007 and do not waste your money on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Play Clovis first!, 7 Aug. 2009
C. Seibert "Clare" (London, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This is the great game we all love and know. There are characters to play against. Start with Clovis. I played against the blonde girl first and obviously she absolutely thrashed me. There are different characters who play at different levels which is great. I have played electronic versions of this game before and there is no chance of winning because the opponents use words I have not even heard of so this game is really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrabble... But digital..., 21 Mar. 2009
B. Coldridge "Bee" (Salisbury) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
It really is what you'd expect.
Scrabble, that you can play on your own.
As a firm scrabble fan I'd definitely reccommend this!
There are challenges for all levels of player and opportunities to progress. I would consider myself a talented amateur and I have got to a stage in the game when I am challenged almost constantly.
There are training opportunities through mini-games such as a timed anagram feature, but most of all, it's just enjoyable.
Kept me busy all through the Christmas holidays!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss, 27 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I like Scrabble and tend to play online. I'd say I was pretty good, knowing all the 2 letter words and several weird words using J,Q,X and Z. I bought this for a different challenge and the option of travel play.

For the game itself, well - it's Scrabble. The board fits onto the bottom of the DS so you can see it all but you can zoom in if you want to see an area (and the points on the tiles) There seems to be 7 computer players to play against but no obvious rating for each (there is a description on their style but that's it) and there is a multiplayer option for other DS users. It records high scores for words, totals and margin of victories (but only a Top 3)

Unfortunately, while the Quick Play mode should give any level of player a decent game, there seem to be some glitches. The computer players play poorly on occasions. I risked WARN which ended just before the triple word square. The opponent played BEGETS next but in a bad position. Surely anyone would have made WARNS with this, giving a triple word score for both words? This was one of the better opponents too! Another issue is when you play a certain move you get a message saying 'Parallel play unlocked' as if some new feature of the game is available. I can't see where there is any difference or new feature.

The campaign mode is very poor. I was under the impression you go around the world playing different people. This is true but you aren't playing in tournaments starting from beginner to expert. You are in a story-mode given mini-puzzles which act as a 'how to play' guide. One problem with this is that you are given hints without asking if you take 20 seconds or so which makes it even easier. This could have been a lot better (think of some of the Scrabble puzzles in newspapers for example) but the only reason to do all this is to unlock a new opponent. There is no replay factor and even worse, it is very short.

There are several mini-games which look fun (one like Texas hold-em it seems) but I haven't tried them yet.

Overall, not bad but not great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for school-age children, 22 Oct. 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I agree with previous reviewers, it is clearly wrong that a word-game produced for the UK market should use American spelling (e.g. center). I usually know whether computer-generated words are correct or not and find it extremely frustrating when one is used. However, a child may not be able to make this distinction and will probably add the new word to their vocabulary-bank.

The game uses ludicrous made-up 'words', incorrect plurals, archaic (usually Scottish) words, while rejecting common words found in any UK-English dictionary. On occasion I have been tempted to make up a word - only to have it accepted. And some of the definitions defy belief.

Scrabble was always an ideal, fun tool for improving the vocabulary of children. This game will not help them one bit, in fact quite the opposite. Stick to the old family board game and a dictionary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, 25 July 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Not being the sort of person who regularly scans a dictionary, I nevertheless have a job where I hear all manner of words on a regular basis, I love computer games where skill is important and especially where I can play around with words. So I was really looking forward to playing scrabble on my Nintendo DS Lite. But all it has done is to make me feel frustrated, angry and depressed.

I thought at first it was coincidence that all the other players were given useful letters, whereas I was left with the dregs, sometimes all vowels and other times all the difficult consonants, which, if I'd had any chance at all of being able to make a word out of them, would have netted me a very large score indeed.

I also noticed other players came up with the strangest words that no one in their right mind could dream up, let alone use. I think the whole thing is weighted in favour of the computer and unless you've swallowed a dictionary for breakfast then I don't think the average player stands much of a chance of winning.

I found out that the game has an aversion to words in plural -- in fact it refuses to accept them. I tried the word "pines" - as in "the dog pines when I'm out of the house" but because it's not in "such and such" dictionary, it won't accept it. Yet I noticed that my having put down the word "judo", it then allowed a player to add an "s" to make "judos" - my own dictionary doesn't recognise it, but, of course, their's obviously does!

So unless you're really, really good at coming up with fantastic words and/or don't mind being made to feel demoralised, having your confidence repeatedly dashed and eventually suffering from a persecution complex, I'd give this one a miss.

1.0 out of 5 stars American dictionary and made up words, 23 Mar. 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Selling a game in the UK with an American dictionary is unforgivable. "Sinched" instead of "Cinched", for example. Plus it just doesn't understand the rules of English. For example, one opponent put Foen. The scrolling dictionary showed "Foe, n, an enemy or adversary", but foen is not a word! Another example - an opponent put "Towier". It says "Tow vb drag, esp by means of a rope", but again, towier is just not a word.

This makes it incredibly frustrating as your opponents can put in any old rubbish whilst you obviously only know valid words.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is one game ruined by poor programming, 26 May 2010
Bradley Baum (London, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I LOVE Scrabble. Seriously, I really do LOVE the game of Scrabble. That is why I was SO VERY disapointed when I bought this game and sat down to play it and found that not only do the computer players use words that are made up but I was unable to challenge them! Well that's it game ruined! How on Earth can the makers programme the game like this?!?! So just in case you are unable to believe your eyes aas to what you have just read I'll sort of repeat myself. The game is ruined by poor programming as THE COMPUTER USES WORDS THAT ARE MADE UP AND IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CHALLENGE THEM WHEN THEY DO!

4.0 out of 5 stars Scrabble 2009, 9 Sept. 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
`Scrabble 2009' is an improvement on the previous game for the DS, but still manages to offer the features we liked from the original. This game is easy to set up and you can have a couple of profiles for different family members. It has the original Scrabble game that you can play in `quick game' format, as well as a campaign version that teaches you various Scrabble techniques and various puzzle games to help improve your vocabulary. There are no fancy graphics or bells and whistles, but the basic game is as addictive as the board game and transfers very well to the hand held console format. You can also use the included Collins Scrabble dictionary for when you play against a real life opponent instead of flicking through a book dictionary to track down elusive words. This has simple graphics, sound and game-play, but endless hours of fun. Well worth considering.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but could do better!, 17 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I thought this game could have done a lot better. The 'story' game play was far too easy and it took me under 2 hours to complete. The mini-game modes are quite fun, and a good aside to when you don't want to play a full game. I found the games of Scrabble quite challenging but think it would benefit from more tutorials explaining technique and possible moves etc as its sometimes very difficult to beat particular opponents.

So overall I thought that this game was satisfactory, a good diversion if your bored but it could be soo much better.

Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS)
Scrabble 2009 (Nintendo DS) by Ubisoft (Nintendo DS)