on 30 March 2001
One of the most joyous, thoughtful jazz saxophonists with probably one of the finest comtemporary rhythm sections, if the Dave Brubeck Trio can be described that way! Why didn't they record together more? I suspect that their best was done at live dates, at this was live. Highlights? Blessed are the poor, Things ain't what they used to be, then on CD 2 The Duke, an ear-popping version of St. Louis Blues and a glorious sign-off track - Lullaby de Mexico written by Mulligan, played - just buy it and listen.
on 19 February 2001
If you're into silky smooth baritone sax on some tracks, and simply awesome paino on others (and a combination on most) then this CD is an abosute must for you.
Played on a decent hi-fi, the recording quality is such that one can, if you close your eyes, feel the instruments in the room with you.
I borrowed it from the local library and cant listen to it enough! Consequently I find myself unable to live without my own copy!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
on 29 January 2012
This has to be one of the finest jazz concerts I have ever heard. Two masters of their craft, at the height of their powers, recorded live at Philharmonic Hall in Berlin.

The spotlight rightly falls on Brubeck and Mulligan, but the supporting musicians (Jack Six on bass and Alan Dawson on drums) must not be overlooked as they both contribute excellent solo work throughout the concert as well as their usual rhythm roles.

Favourite tracks: "Blessed are the Poor", "Out of the Way of the People", "New Orleans" and "Indian Song".

If you are a fan of Brubeck, Mulligan, or small group jazz in general - buy and enjoy. It's all great music.
on 16 September 2011
There are two live Brubeck Berlin concerts from the 1970s available and to my ears this one is by far the better. The recorded sound seems excellent and the choice of material and performances is inspired! Can anyone recomend jazz of a similar style by other bands that's as good as this? If so, I'll snap it up! I have the Brubeck Carnegie Hall concert from 1963 (Desmond instead of Mulligan) and that's also very good.
on 3 October 2013
I love the baritone sax. My favourite tracks are "New Orleans" and "Indian Song" both on disc 2. "Indian song" has a great drum solo. Disc 1 is growing on me. Recommended listening.
on 21 March 2013
A most enjoyable album, interesting arrangements . Desmond and Mulligan at there most inventive. would recommend to any one who enjoys this type of lyrical jazz.
on 15 April 2014
A fine cd with a lot of music from years ago but with high class and brilliant timing. Great buy..
on 19 November 2014
Good,but the jewel case shows definite signs of wear.Very prompt delivery