5.0 out of 5 stars THAT GAP IS FILLED AT LAST !!!!!!
Having loved the two 70's hits and the should-have-been-a-hit Thomas The Rhymer (and proud owner of all three on vinyl singles), i have always meant to get around to obtaining these in a pristine digital format. The Best Of Steeleye Span does all that and much much more.
Published on 11 Mar 2010 by aging muso

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for childhood memory recollection!
The quality of the CD is not great compared to modern productions, but I guess that is hardly surprising since these sonds are ca. 40 years old. However I love the CD, as it brings back many childhood memories. My family (2 kids aged 15 and 18) are NOT impressed! If you like 70's style folk rock - Steeleye Span are the group for you! Maddy Prior's voice is...
Published 7 months ago by Bernard D'ALWIS

5.0 out of 5 stars THAT GAP IS FILLED AT LAST !!!!!!, 11 Mar 2010
It has to be said that there is no filler on this album. While some of the other tracks aren't as immediate as the hits (as you would expect), after a couple of listenings you realise that this album is much much more than the obvious. this album fills that musical gap in my CD collection and ticks all the boxes and more. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blistering folk rock + a few forgettable moments, 9 May 2007
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a right roistering collection of folk rock, from the blisteringly great (Alison Gross, Black Jack Davey, Hard Times of Old England, Gaudete, All Around My Hat) to the forgettable (To Know Him is to Love Him, Now We Are Six etc.) At their best, Tim Hart, Maddy Prior and company stood alongside the Fairports as popularisers of the folk tradition and made a brilliant job of it too. I can definitely forgive them the odd lapse in judgement in the face of haunting ditties like Alison Gross ("the ugliest witch in the north country.") Listen and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Best of... But..., 5 Sep 2012
This is a great collection but why go for this when you can get A Parcel Of Steeleye Span (Their First Five Chrysalis Albums 1972-1975) for 3.99 and A Parcel of Steeleye Span pretty reasonably too. For Ashley Hutchings era fans there is The Lark In Morning - The Early Years which contains the first three Steeleye Span albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 2 Feb 2009
Such a great piece of music - I just want to dance and sing to Thomas A Rhymer and Gaudette always reminds me of Christmas. The album just transports me back to rural England of bygone ages. Fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...And I was well content, 7 Feb 2006
Mr. P. Marcel "Manticore" (Bordeaux, France) - See all my reviews
I've been listening to Steeleye Span since I was a kid, too. But that was in the seventies! This record is a rather neat selection of their best titles. One restriction, though: I'd dropkick the cloying and dumb "To know him is to love him" from a high cliff, and put in the superlative, how-can-they-have-left-it-out? "Fighting for Strangers", the chilling tale of a mercenary's career, appropriately carried by a cold and almost abstract tune. As to Steeleye Span as a group - I've just told you I've been listening to them for about thirty years. What do you expect me to say about them??? Of course, they are brilliant. Nobody compares.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly some of the best!, 6 Feb 2008
J. McAleese "Mad4Maddy" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
I'm a massive Steeleye Fan and enjoy nothing more than listening to their finest tracks. Generally, with a compilation like this, you can never be sure if you'll end up loving everything and this is by no means an exception. However; the less good tracks on the CD are very few! "To Know Him is To Love Him" for instance is probably the least enjoyable (let's face it; it's just not Steeleye Span like they should be) and "Now we Are Six" is very much an acquired taste. Nevertheless, there are a great number of less famous gems, such as "Royal Forester" and "Dark Eyed Sailor". "Saucy Sailor", "Thomas the Rhymer" and "Drink Down the Moon" are again well worth a real listen, and help make this one of the best Span compilations ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Re spanned, 13 July 2012
My Steeleye Span records are all on vinyl, and like many things I have not got around to copying it onto my iPod. So at 2.99 this is a real bargain to be able to relisten to this great group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steeleye Span Rock!!, 3 May 2005
J. Kibble (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
I have been listening to Steeleye Span since I was a kid, and now at 16 they are one of my favourite bands. They mix folk with rock like it was childs play. Many of thier songs tell stories, some of death, but I still love them. Steeleye really are one of the forfathers of folkrock and this CD is a real tribute to them.
There are however three songs missing from this list, they are
1. Long Lankin
2. Marrowbones
3. Bedlam Boys
But aprt from that this is one of the best CDs I have ever brought. Whether you are into folk, rock, or just want to listen to somthing different, I would strongly advise listening to Any Steeleye Span CD, especially this one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steeleyespan cd, 1 Sep 2013
I love this cd I would recommend it to others if they like folk music it is a good cd

5.0 out of 5 stars Steeleye Span, 12 Jun 2013
Some of the songs on this Very Best Of, borught back some good memories. I can Highley recomend this to those of you who like Steeleye Span