‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tull at one of their peaks, 5 May 2004
S. Jones "Steve Jones" (Telford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bursting Out (Audio CD)
I caught Tull live on this tour and was gobsmacked - I could not believe how impressive they were and still, to this day, I remember it as one of the best gigs I've ever witnessed. The matching live album, unsuprisingly, has always been a popular souvenir with me and my original vinyl copy was almost worn through over the years.
To be honest I'm a little disappointed with this remastered edition in that it doesn't really add anything to my older CD copy. The sound is louder and a little brighter (the original being just a tad woolly) but you don't really get to hear anything you couldn't hear before on a half decent system - a cosmetic tweak rather than an enhancement. I'd also been told that various missing tracks had been reinstated, but as the itinerary is exactly the same as my older CD & vinyl copies I can only assume there's been a certain amount of confusion with the cut-down, single CD edition released in the US?
All-in-all I regard this as an absolute must if you've not already got a copy, but one to approach with caution if you're the proud owner of an existing release that isn't emasculated in any way. Unless, like me, you've got to have one of everything Tull...

5.0 out of 5 stars Jethro Tull at their best ...!!!!!, 28 Feb 2004
Steven Knifton (Beverley, East Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bursting Out (Audio CD)
Being a Jethro Tull fan over 30 years I am always pleased when I get a chance to replace some old vinyl. This CD is great reminder of how important Ian Anderson were to rock music in this country from the last 60's. The music ranges from the powerful guitar of Martin Barre on tracks such as the opening “No lullaby” and “Locomotive Breath” to Andersons's unique accoustic folk/rock performances on “Jack in the Green” and “Songs from the Wood”. The sense of humour and fun of the band also stands out a mile!!!
Jethro Tull are still touring and playing in front of their fans (I was at York Barbican on 18th February 2004). However, this is the band playing at their peak and is a must for any fan or anyone just wanting to know what made Jethro Tull so special and unique...!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great live album, 14 Feb 2004
Simon Dry (Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bursting Out (Audio CD)
Recorded in 1978 when punk had probably reached its peak, “Bursting Out” shows Tull where completely oblivious to the change around them, much to the relief of the fans! “Bursting Out” is basically a live best of Jethro Tull, with the addition of a few songs from the then contemporary “Heavy Horses”. This album demonstrates that Tull were extremely professional in their approach to live music, maybe just a bit too much so for my liking. However there is not a weak track on the album and Ian and the boys are on top form. Martin Barres guitar work throughout is at worst faultless at worst and at best outstanding, none more so than on old favourites “Aqualung” and “Cross-eyed Mary”. “No Lullaby” seems like an unusual choice for an opener, but with a rocky intro tagged on at the start works very well. “Hunting Girl” and the condensed epic “Thick as a Brick” are excellent. Also worth a mention is the instrumental is the instrumental “Conundrum”, which features an amazing solo from Barrie Barlow, Tulls finest drummer. This album is superb and is a must for anyone with the slightest interest in Jethro Tull.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best Tull lineup live, but CD mastering could be better., 29 Mar 2004
TheProf (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bursting Out (Audio CD)
I was always a big fan of this recording when I owned it on vinyl - this Tull lineup is my favourite - Barrie Barlow on drums, Martin and Ian (of course), poor old John Glasscock on bass, David Palmer and John Evans on keyboards...The songs are played well and Ian's banter gives it all a nice atmosphere. There is a range of material, from heavier tracks through to the more folk-inspired material. Having already owned the original CD I was disappointed when I listened to this new re-mastered version - it really isn't much better than the original CD - the re-mastering on Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses was great, but this just doesn't sound up to scratch - maybe the master tapes are not that great?
If you;re a big Tull fan you have to have this CD in your collection - but if you already own it on CD, you wn't see much imoprovement in sound quality with this remastered version.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't have this one, get it., 4 April 2004
This review is from: Bursting Out (Audio CD)
The first all-live album from Jethro Tull (Living With the Past is also an all-live album...), covering the 1978 period of the band. If you've gotten the previous mastering of this CD, you will not notice any appreciable increase in the quality of this disc, but you WILL get several tracks NOT on the first CD mastering (which if you had or have the Original Vinyl release is VERY appreciated and perhaps enough reason to buy it again...). If you like Tull, you really ought to get ahold of this CD (And Living With the Past...) to get a feel of what the live performance is like if you've never seen one of their concerts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album is much better now, 27 Feb 2004
Boris Cerkuc "boris2095" (Mostar, Herzegovina, B&H) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bursting Out (Audio CD)
One of my favourites, Bursting Out is now remastered. Oh, yes - now Bursting Out sounds perfect! During 1978. Jethro Tull was in zenith of career, and band sound was so pure and magnificent. Martin guitar work -fantastic, Barrie Barlow's drums - uooouh!!!Two different piano players, John Evan and David Palmer made really great wall of sound, and Ian was in really good form here- please, just listen his flute solo!
You must buy this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Listening, 31 Jan 2007
T. Williams (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bursting Out (Audio CD)
Truly, a masterpiece of showmanship, musicianship and artistry. I can listen to aqualung and the dambusters march over and over again. This album is nearly 30 years old. You can sense the energy, feel the crowd and I can imagine the expressions of the band as they join the fans in a musical tour-de-force. I was 9 years old when my older brother played this for me and now I play it for my 10 year old son. Thank you Ian Anderson, thank you Jethro Tull. Listen, and love live music!

4.0 out of 5 stars A damn fine record of a band's near peak..., 22 Dec 2009
John David Charles Hilton "Creative spark...." (Redcliffe, Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bursting Out (Audio CD)
Live the 'Tull were on fire in the late '70s and it comes through wonderfully on this powerful double album. The remastered sound is full without suffering from too much compression.
Other than the inclusion of the weak 'Hunting Girl' and the predictable drum-solo that, equally predictably, sounds exactly the same as every other rock drum solo ever, I cannot fault the set list.
This would make an excellent introduction for 'Tull newbies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bursting with energy, 4 Dec 2008
This review is from: Bursting Out (MP3 Download)
If you are a Tull fan then you already have this album. If you're not and you are interested, then start here. This album showcases some of Tull's best work delivered with a huge amount of energy and humour. The problem with listening to this album first is that all the studio albums sound rather dull in comparison.

Simply the best Tull Album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bursting At The Seams, 5 July 2009
G. Weare "Gareth" (Folkestone, Kent.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bursting Out (Audio CD)
I have a confession to make: I bought the US single version CD of `Bursting Out' at a CD fair and upon first listening felt a bit cheated discovering three tracks missing from the original album. The absent three are only available on the 2004 Double CD digitally re-mastered UK / Euro version.
Having bought it from Amazon (of course), I could now hear what I had been missing: Ian Anderson - the cheeky raconteur, entertaining the audience between songs with the expletives bleeped out, plus the three extra tracks.
After the polite introduction by MC and Jethro Tull friend - Claude Nobs, followed by `No Lullaby' the song that really gets the show under way and demonstrating Martin Barre's industrious guitar work is `Sweet Dream'. The two other tracks missing from the US version being the instrumentals: `Conundrum' and `Quatrain'
Worth a listen, if nothing else.
But `Sweet Dream will blow you away, especially the guitar aficionados.

The performance harks back to a distant and not to be forgotten bye-gone age of Jethro Tull at their zenith and in my opinion the band's best line-up.
This is one of the best live albums I have ever heard.
Take note I.A.