on 15 June 2010
I can't believe that nobody has felt the urge to rate this fantastic pair of discs yet.

This, (and its sister set containing the rest of Mozart's later symphonies), is superb music making of the first order. Both the ECO and Barenboim are self recommending in this repertoire of course. Speeds are relatively fast, but not excessively so, and here is proof, if proof were needed, that you don't need period instruments to get thrilling and exciting Mozart performances.

Don't be put off by the age of these recordings. The sound is classic EMI, rich, warm and well detailed.

I have umpteen versions of these symphonies, from slick period bands to old school classics, and I can honestly say these Barenboim discs have been in my CD player more often than all the rest put together.

They're ridiculously cheap too.
on 10 February 2013
If, like me, you love Mozart Symphonies and also believe that Daniel Barenboim is the master at providing the perfect interpretation of this terrific music then without hesitation this recording is for you. What's more, it's a double CD pack for only £6.22!

The original recordings date from 1967 to 1972 and have been digitally remastered by EMI and released as part of their EMI treasures series. I fully agree; this is a real treasure: the music is wonderful, the performances are brilliant and the recording is, as far as I can tell, flawless.

This has got to be one of my favourite CD's.
on 6 March 2013
I hadn't remembered Barenboim as a Mozart conductor but he does an excellent job here. This is a two-disc compilation, very well recorded at a give away price.
on 3 July 2014