Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 June 2010
I know I am prejudiced and anything that Fred did is such a joy to me but I have to say that this compilation provided hours of pleasure. The quality of the recording is quite good considering that some of it was made almost a century ago!Some people feel that he should have stuck to the dancing but I love that wistful and whimsical sound.
If you are a fan then this is for you.If not, perhaps you should have a look at some of his films first and then purchase!
on 13 October 2011
These are the original recordings & not the tracks or lyrics I am accustomed to, however the discs contain a mine of songs unknown to me which I'm sure will lift my spirits on those melancholy nights.
on 17 June 2013
Nothing really wrong with this compilation and there are a lot of tracks here. But as with the Noel Coward Retrospective compilation, something about it makes me not want to play it. It's a bit too thorough, a bit too relentless somehow. It doesn't have that cosy, warm feel to it, it's so comprehensive that you feel like you're scrolling down someone's Wikipedia entry. Sometimes, less is more.

Some great songs here, but the Fascinating Rhythm with Adele Astaire really is a bit grating, and the version of The Continental that closes Disc 2 seems to be taken from his later years. After a while, Disc 1 seemed to be just one song after another, it didn't build a mood or a narrative.

This CD has got it all on - save Needle in a Haystack from The Gay Divorcee, recently covered in the VW advert featuring a tall girl unlucky in love - but I prefer Fred as a sherry or glass of port rather than knocking one after another back all evening!
on 4 April 2013
Not a great voice but somehow Fred does something special with any song. And then you think of him dancing. He was very special!
on 21 May 2015
Fast delivery, Good old Fred Astaire singing the tunes from the famous old films. A great addition for a 1940s themed birthday.
on 15 November 2011
Just a delightful selection of Fred Astaire's hits! With me it was watching "Hooray To Hollywood" from The Proms that did it! All those tunes from films I used to watch on Sunday afternoons! They are all on this CD! Well worth the money, each song is short but sweet and you can hear EVERY word! When did clear diction go out of fashion?
No point in going through every song, just buy the CD and listen! You're quickly transported to a past world where everything was a lot simpler, and a lot easier to listen to!
on 17 August 2009
I bought this cd for my 8 year old Son who loves Fred Astaire films and who is a talented dancer. He has danced to it so much already and it is also great to listen to while cooking and dining. I would highly recommend this.
on 10 August 2014
How I loved Fred Astaire films when I was a child (and we didn't have colour TV so no-one knew whether they were in Technicolor either) this brings it all back and I love it.
on 29 September 2011
This is a wonderful compilation with excellent natural sounding transfers by Nat Crick - worth spending a few more pounds to get this over the bargain priced AVID compilation The Essential Collection. And it has 'Night and Day'!
on 19 July 2014
the finest Fred Astaire although i think that Ginger Rodgers was missing in some of the songs ie The Piccolino.