Published on 14 Sept. 2012 by Bacchus

1.0 out of 5 stars Forget this one!!
Published 11 months ago by Scott N.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two wonderful LPs put onto one CD of some great Handel choral works, 14 Sept. 2012
Bacchus (Greater London - Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a CD of two halves. The first half is the choir of Kings College Cambridge under Philip Ledger in the early 1980s singing the four Coronation Anthems that Handel wrote for the coronation of George II. My favourite recordings of those works are by Philip Ledger's predecessor, David Willcocks. However, these are very fine recordings in their own right and I really enjoyed listening to them. I did occasionally find the interpretation a bit quirky and it perhaps lacked the authority which Willcocks brought to the music but this is a minor quibble. What I enjoyed especially about this music was the use of soloists in My Heart is Inditing (Willcocks used full choir throughout). Here, Ledger used 3 choral scholars who have all gone onto greater things, Michael Chance, Charles Daniels and Gerald Finlay. The last of these has a truly beautiful voice.

The other half is a recording of Dixit Dominus, the product of his early apprenticesip in Italy. It is one of my favourite pieces. When I first sang in a performance of this work in the 1980s, this recording under David Willcocks from the late 1960s had been largely overshadowed by John Eliot Gardiner's first rendition of the work. Listening to this recording, I now feel this is unfair. Not only is the choir in first rate form, there are some wonderful solo moments. I think that Theresa Zylis Gara and Janet Baker make absolutely ravishing sounds in their arias and duets and Robert Tear and John Shirley Quirk exude sonorous authority in their passages. I really cannot fault the performance on any level.

Highly Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Forget this one!!, 21 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Handel: Coronation Anthems/Dixit Dominus (MP3 Download)
I hate compilations which stick old recordings and newer ones together and think because it's cheap we will just accept it and buy it!! In the Dixit Dominus the recording seems clearer despite it being from the 60's. The Coronation Anthem's from the 80's aren't as good in sound quality with the harpsichord blurred so I would look elsewhere and avoid this lot whether on download or CD!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good traditional performance, 7 April 2013
John HOLLAS (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handel: Coronation Anthems/Dixit Dominus (MP3 Download)
I have got so used to music of this period to be performed on original instruments that I do miss the added bite in these performances. But, if you are happy with a traditional performance then you won't do much better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coronation Anthems, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Handel: Coronation Anthems/Dixit Dominus (MP3 Download)
Beautiful music. Handel at his bestr

Handel: Coronation Anthems/Dixit Dominus
Handel: Coronation Anthems/Dixit Dominus by Cambridge The Choir of King's College
Buy MP3 Album£4.59