on 25 June 2010
Chasing Sheep is best left to Shepherds; has there ever been a more original opening track title? I purchased this to use a few tracks at our wedding. One can make a very stately entrance to 'Chasing Sheep'!
Every track is perfectly evocative of the film and all of its wonderful eccentricities. Music to fantasise to.
Here we have 7 highly infectious pieces of baroque flavoured music from the Michael Nyman Band. I can confidently say that there is not a single duff moment amongst these frankly joyous pieces! Every note is vibrant and full of colour. Melodies unfurl, building and building until the listener is entranced by the deceptively simple chord sequences. Clarinets snake around saxophones and trumpets while repetetive string riffs chug along in the background. This is almost like rock music played by people nurtured on Bach and Purcell. An absolutely fantastic collection of music. I would recommend this to fans of Morricone, Tiersen's music for AMELIE or The Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

If you are curious enough to be reading this then I implore you to purchase this CD. I promise it will enhance your music collection and you will want to spread the word as to the beauty of these pieces.

Thank God for Michael Nyman. This album reminds me of why I fell in love with music in the first place!
on 19 September 2004
A wonderful set, anyone who has enjoyed the film will immediately find those wonderful set-piece pictures triggered by the music.
on 3 December 2010
Mr Nyman is a truely peerless composer who brings together modern classical style and a Baroque period composer and displays much attention to detail - and is replete with infinite finesse and passion. No prizes for guessing which is the prize track on this soundtrack CD, but despite the paucity of it, it does the job well by selling this CD as a trip to the fantastical, brain wave enhancing environs of Baroque Territory. Within the confines of this territory one is compelled to take on the guise of a Sybarite music fan who simply cannot be satisfied. For me, the seller would have to be 'An Eye For Optical Theory' which is nothing less than the apogee of film soundtracks! I have produced modern electronica myself and I have to say I am very tempted to emulate this track in a 21st century style reworking. Baroque music is a force to be reckoned with and must be included in any modern day appreciation of the classical music tradition.
on 23 September 2015