5.0 out of 5 stars A Pure Classsic
Published on 5 Mar 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars OK-ish....
There are some good tracks on this album, such as the perky 'Got my mind set on you', the Beatley 'When we was Fab' and the thoughtful 'Just for today'. The main problem with the album to my mind though is the fact that it is(over)produced by Jeff Lynne. He seems to make most albums he produces sound like an ELO album and this is no exception. Other than that though,...
Published on 3 Dec 2006 by P. Philips

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pure Classsic, 5 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)
Harrison's third solo album of the 1980s was surely his best since 1970s all things must pass. Produced by Jeff Lynne whose Band Elo John Lennon had said was closest to the Beatles musically in the 1970s. I can honestly say there is not a weak track on this album. There are countless high points. When we was Fab, This is love, devil's radio, Wreck of the Hesperus. Harrison had returned to his rock n roll roots. As a matter of interest the Gretsch guitar on the front of the album cover is from his Hamburg days he bought it from a Liverpool docker when he was seventeen, just before the Beatles went over to Germany. As usual a guest of stars helped out such as Elton John, the guitar god Eric Clapton and of cause good old Ringo. This album was a precursor to the well acclaimed and fun and rocky super group the Traveling Wilburys (lynne, Dylan, Orbison, Petty and Harrison). The album has a Beatle feel which is very positive. Got my mind set on you is probably the main track which most will recognize from this album. A Rudy Clark number from 1962 Harrison and Lynne rearranged it into a modern classic. This album was George's big musical comeback. This was his last solo album of original studio material released in his lifetime. Time has not weakened it. I am sure it will be back out soon to buy I highly recommend it to music and Beatles fans alike

5.0 out of 5 stars The Quiet One's Perfect Album?, 27 Jun 2007
F. A. Penney "Fraser Penney" (Edinburgh, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)
I've just discovered this album for the first time. It's absolutely brilliant, really uplifting and all the songs are "fab," even the bonus songs from Shanghai Surprise made me want to see that film again!!!

I always had a soft spot for George from The Beatles days and his songs were always one's I would listen out for on the Beatles albums. I have the EMI 'Best of' album & later replaced it with the CD & only recently after the success of the re-mastered Traveling Willburys, has my interest in other works from George been re-ignited.
This is a perfect match for that fantastic collection that recently topped the charts in the UK.

This album is fantastic, it's hard to pick a favourite. You can dance to it, you can play it in the car. It's fun, wonderfuly produced and I can't recommend it enough... it's feel good music at it's best. Buy it. highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past, 28 July 2004
Kev Partner "Writer, geek, dad." (Alton, Hamshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)
I was chuffed when I saw that this album had been re-released (and remastered). Contrary to what another reviewer has said, the album does NOT appear to be copy protected so you CAN listen to it on your PC without any problems.
As a Jeff Lynne fan, listening to it now I can hear his influence on this album far more than on George's final album Brainwashed. The standout track is "When we was Fab" which, to my ears, is as much an ironic tribute to ELO as it is to The Beatles and absolutely wonderful. "Got My Mind Set on You" is an excellent rocky number, and the title track is typical Harrison weirdness. The rest is sometimes variable and, as is often the case with George Harrison, sometimes a little dark.
Overall, a superb blast from the 80s. If you like this, get hold of the Traveling Wilburys, Roy Orbison's "Mystery Girl" and Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" and "Into the Great Wide Open".

5.0 out of 5 stars Back In Print after far too long, 5 Jan 2004
Jeff Pearlman (Lakeland, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)
Sometime shortly before George's passing, I read of plans to reissue the Dark Horse/Warner Brothers CDs that had astonishingly fallen out of print in the early '90's. Of those, this is my favorite. "Cloud Nine" found George Harrison generally dispensing with his often (to me, anyway) off-putting religious tangents and making a sharp, energetic pop album. Production by Jeff Lynne is excellent, not over-the-top as some critics (not me) found later ELO albums. Musicians also include Eric Clapton, Elton John, Ringo Starr, Jim Keltner, and Ray Cooper.
For a while, in early 1988, I thought the pop world was making sense again, as "Got My Mind Set On You" matched the latest Whitney, Tiffany, and Rick Astley play for play on the radio (the hit stations, not just the Adult Contemporary ones)! "When We Was Fab" was a fine followup, with several '60's and Beatles references in the lyrics. Awesome video, too. In the U.S., at least, the record company dropped the ball by making the unexceptional "This Is Love" the third single instead of the edgier "Devil's Radio," but at this point it hardly matters. Anyone interested in Harrison but who finds his music too wispy and/or ethereal is strongly urged to purchase "Cloud Nine."
Hope this time, the booklet includes the lyrics. I hear there will be bonus tracks too. Fab!

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrison, the solo artist, at his finest, 11 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)
To me this album confirms that George Harrison was a musical genius. It's not that he wasn't a genius when he was a Beatle, it's just that he was the youngest member of the band & found himself in the shadow of two older geniuses in Lennon & McCartney. As a solo artist he flourished with some excellent Harrison penned Beatles tracks behind him.
On Cloud Nine I find 'Got My Mind Set On You' a bit too much of a 1980s pop single for my liking but the rest of the album is definitely not reminiscent of the decade in which it was made (no bad thing in my opinion). The sound is quite Wilsbury-esque in many ways & the posthumously released Brainwashed has many of the same qualities. It's hard to believe that nearly a decade & a half separate the two albums!
Cloud Nine is quite a significant departure from All Things Must Pass - recorded nearly two decades earlier - but anyone who loves that album should also get to know Cloud Nine &, now, Brainwashed. Why Cloud Nine was deleted sometime in the 1990s is a mystery to me. Hopefully this re-release will also prompt a solution to whatever legal issues are preventing the re-release of the Traveling Wilburys back catalogue which, again, demonstrates the true genius of George Harrison.

5.0 out of 5 stars When income tax was all we had, 8 Mar 2004
Dl Fairey "ousetunes" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)
If my original copy of Cloud Nine had been bought on vinyl, it would have worn through by now. Fortunately for me, I received my copy for Christmas 1987 on CD. Along with All Things Must Pass and Living In The Material World, Cloud Nine is a wonderful record showcasing the many talents of Dear Old George.
We didn't know for another year yet, but much of the album's production - handled by Jeff Lynne - would be typically 'Traveling Wilbury', bright acoustic guitars and shimmering, smooth slide guitars, all layered one upon another; also the confidence of Jim Keltner on drums and Jeff Lynne's 'keep it simple' basslines. Lynne's production drew quite a bit of controversy at the time, but you can't doubt that he got George to play some of his finest licks with some really interesting guitar sounds, along with some fabulous vocal ideas and some of George's finest ever lead vocals (listen to the second bridge on 'Wreck of the Hesperus').
Also, any album that contains Eric Clapton, Elton John and Ringo Starr really SHOULD be good. Clapton's solo on 'Devil's Radio' is a blinder, yet George's slide work on the likes of 'Just For Today' shows the differing approaches these two guitarists had and both perform technically perfect here. George's slidework goes one better on the beautiful 'Someplace Else'. He then plugs in the Ricky 12-string for 'Fish on the Sand' which, whilst being a great commercial track propelled by Ringo's drums, is a little too close to ELO for comfort (as indeed was George's vocal swoop on 'This is Love': he should have let Jeff Lynne sing it himself [the line: 'from way out of the blue']).
Macca had tried to recreate the 'Walrus' sound of the Beatles on the Press To Play track 'However Absurd' and failed. Geroge and Jeff hit the nail right on the head in 'When We Was Fab'. The dulled toms are straight out of 'A Day in the Life', the french radio snippet at the end from 'I Am The Walrus', the sitar from the Beatles era 1965-1968 and the drumming itself, well, only Ringo could perform the 'backward' drum fills so well. A cracking song and a good video also. But was that really Paul in the Walrus costume? (Incidentally, a careful listen to the backing vocals on 'Someplace Else' leads one to wonder if Paul was indeed present during the recording of this album).
Cloud Nine was released on the back of the unbelievable success of 'Got my Mind Set on You' which peaked at number 2 in the UK. Unfortunately, anyone buying Cloud Nine expecting more of the same was to be somewhat disappointed. In my opinion, 'Got My Mind' was the least Harrisonesque track on the album (and with good reason: He didn't write it) and was the weakest track. The follow up singles 'When we was Fab' and the neglected 'This Is Love' were closer to the George that we had come to love. Infact, 'Got My Mind' sounds really out of place on this album these days.
Well, that's my review of an album I adore. It was certainly George's most commercial product (along with the Wilburys), superbly performed, produced and (no lyric sheet notwithstanding) nicely packaged.
George had a beautiful way with words and wrote in a style McCartney never could. Listen to the lyrics on 'Someplace Else' and the delivery of the words. Beautiful indeed.
'Like this pullover you sent to me?' You bet!!

5.0 out of 5 stars HARRISON'S MASTERPIECE, 30 Sep 2002
Maria Jose Senin Campillo (Seville, SPAIN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)
Possibly the masterpiece of these musical genius, not only by the quality of the songs. It proved that the colaboration between him and ELO-leader and producer Jeff Lynne was a perfect combination, latter confirmed in Ringo's "Time takes time", The Traveling Wilburys unique combo, the successful Anthologhy project and McCartney's "Flaming Pie".

4.0 out of 5 stars FAB, 25 Mar 2004
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)
This is a must for any George Harrison fan. The song has various styles of music played brilliantly by George, clapton, elton john, ringo, jim keltner and produced superbly by jeff lynn. Two songs in particular shone out to me: When we was fab and the bonus track Shanghai Surprise. This song is in my view the best on the album, a real Chinese theme with great backing vocals and lyrics, superb. It caps off a really good album. George Harrison may not have been the best song writer but the music and enthusiasm on this album is enough alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got my Mind Set on This, 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)
I'll be honest, I bought this CD solely for the majestic Travelling Wilburys-esque 'Got My Mind Set on You', and it certainly doesn't disappoint after not having heard it for several years. The remainder of the album is solid if unspectacular Harrison, and also shows the direction he and Jeff Lynne were heading in.

4.0 out of 5 stars unexpected delight, 24 April 2012
Ewing Grahame - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)
I didn't pay too much attention to this when it came out and actively disliked Got My Mind Set On You, the biggest hit to come from it. However, this is a gem of an album, with some of Harrison's finest solo work since All Things Must Pass on it. And When We Was Fab remains the best Beatles tribute by one of yer actual mop tops.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›