5.0 out of 5 stars The Things That Dreams Are Made Of
I have said in my review of Kate Bush's "The Hounds of Love" that that is the best album of the 1980s. This one comes a very close second.

It is very rare for a pop album to be as original, ground-breaking and perfect as this one. It is a thrilling blend of stark-sounding early Human League and the newer, warmer sound they forged with the addition of the two...
Published on 24 April 2007 by Andrew Lewsey

3.0 out of 5 stars For collectors only.
I bought this as I am a collector of the human league.
This is not a patch on the original black or white issues from 1981 which came in a card sleeve and a paper insert.
It seems a little cheap in its plastic sleeve with a credits sticker on the back.The image reproduction is ok but mine has some rippling on the white background, I also hate the black rim on...
Published 13 months ago by octopus

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST LONG PLAYER OF THE PAST 20 YEARS, 9 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Dare! (Audio CD)
I had this on vinyl in 1981 and when I obtained a CD player 11 years later this was the first CD I bought. From the opening beats of "Things that dreams are made of" to the fading bars of "Don't you wan't me?" for 45 minutes you are gripped by what simply is one of the greatest discs of all time. Every song has a whistleable quality (or hummable if whistling ain't your thang). The only downside here is that you don't get video with your audio- the band's then trendy hairdo's and dress sense then now makes them look a right bunch of slappers. Ah well can't have everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE original 1983 release of Dare! -- it's the best, forget the remasters . . ., 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dare! (Audio CD)
This I bought this CD here from Amazon UK in June 2014 -- I'm glad I found it, there are not many copies of this original version of Dare! around.
The sound quality is much clearer less dynamically compressed than the 2003 and 2012 remasters of this album. (I know -- I bought them also a few years back).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab album and seller...terrible vinyl pressing, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dare! [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The five stars is for the seller who I have purchased from several times and are brilliant. The vinyl record however is possibly the worst modern vinyl release I've heard in terms of the pressing quality. It was very noisy on side b and generally sounds flat, lifeless and totally lo fi. Nothing like the mfsl vinyl of yazoo or yaz upstairs at erics which sounds awsome as modern vinyl should. I have an original copy of dare which blows the new one away in every respect. Luckily the seller refunded me in full.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pop, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dare (Audio CD)
Whilst aware of their earlier incarnation and tracks like "Being Boiled" and "Empire State Human", it was seeing The Human League performing "The Sound of the Crowd" and "Love Action" on Top of the Pops, with the new four-blokes-with-synths and two dancing girls line-up, that hooked me. That singer Phil Oakey, with his lop-sided haircut, make-up, piercings and penchant for high heels, gained the disapproval of my parents, of course made me like them even more.

"Dare" has been described as the first number one pop album to be made using synthesized sounds and vocals only, which may or may not be true. I don't think it matters. Quite simply, "Dare" is a perfect pop record. Nothing is overdone, nothing is out of place, nothing that should be present is missing. On a technical level, the album was revolutionary and years ahead of its time, but the technology supported the songs and never overwhelmed them. The album's melodies are stunning and the arrangements breathtaking. "Dare" is something of a zenith of ingenuity and craftsmanship in the world of pop music. Of course, the role of producer Martin Rushent can't be overstated here. The Human League's interim single "Boys and Girls" clearly showed that when Ian Craig Marsh and Martin Ware left and formed Heaven 17, they'd taken a major part of the musical ability with them.

Martin Rushent might have been the band's musical saviour, yet in Phil Oakey and the band's "director of visuals" Philip Adrian Wright, the band had two fine lyricists. "The Things That Dreams are Made Of" and "Seconds", for example, stand head and shoulders, lyrically at least, above anything The Human League had achieved on their earlier albums "Reproduction" and "Travelogue". Perhaps it was because the lyrics were more emotional and revealing that made them easier to connect with. Previously their lyrics had dealt with subjects that were rather more remote, influenced by sci-fi and J. G. Ballard. Whatever, these were real 'human' songs, set to tunes you could whistle and rhythms you could dance to.

After "Dare" and the success of the ubiquitous "Don't You Want Me", it all went a bit pear-shaped. Egos took over, as invariably they do, Martin Rushent refused to work with the band again, and The Human League failed to capitalise on the album's artistic, critical and commercial successes. Perhaps they knew that they would never again be able to match it, despite much pressure to do so, and this became a self-fulfilling prophecy. But "Dare" still stands as the perfect blend of emotion, melody and technology. And it still sounds like the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Electro-pop classic, 10 Dec 2012
Mr. Shaun R. Thomas (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dare! (MP3 Download)
Captures the Human League between their avant-garde beginnings and their pop future. Kraftwerk inspired minimalist pop classics. This was their peak.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the 80's, 9 April 2011
This review is from: Dare! (MP3 Download)
If you ever have a definitive 80's electro album to use on your desert island, Dare is it !
I first heard it in 1981, but as I was into a different sound then, never gave it too much notice.
Obviously, Don't you want me was a monster track back then, so I really liked that, but it was only when my mate bought the album and I had a chance to hear it through, I thought WOW, I love it !
The ultimate electro album. Period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gob Smacking Electro-Pop At Its Best, 8 Sep 2006
This review is from: Dare (Audio CD)
After not having heard for several years (after having stored my vinyl copy away and switching solely to CDs)I finally got round to buying a copy after my partner heard me singing along to 'Open Your Heart' one day on the radio. Being 16 years younger than me (born in '81) he never had the benefit of growing up to this album and the sounds of the time. Only having ever heard 'Don't You Want Me' I brought the CD for his benefit. On playing, not only does it still sound fanastic but it brought all those memories flooding back in vivid detail (was I the only man in the world who wanted to wear black stilettos after seeing HL on ToTPs?? - how cooooool was Phil O back then??). A fantastic album that will get played to death in our house this summer. Buy it, play it max, dye your hair black, slip on thosee stilettos you always wanted and pose away to one of the best British pop albums ever made - classic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good CD, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Dare (Audio CD)
I bought this as I had it as an album a long time ago. This is well recorded and has stood the test of time.... don't you want me baby, yes I do,

5.0 out of 5 stars The Human League ( Dare! ), 21 Nov 2013
Mr. A. Nicholls "Mr A Nicholls" (PRESTON,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dare! [VINYL] (Vinyl)
A great album and with it being a Picture Disc is a Bonus this is on the New Thick Heavy Vinyl and looks Great a must for Collecters like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb album, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dare (Audio CD)
nice to get this album on compact disc had it on lp years ago which slowly worn out! with scratches and hissing etc.

Dare!