TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 November 2014
Maria Callas was a matchless soprano. No longer with us, she has left a legacy of her recordings that reinforce the opinions of those who believe she was the greatest opera singer and performer, not only of her own generation, but those that have followed. Self-critical of her own vocal abilities and subject to comparisons with other great sopranos, Callas has a purity and clarity in her delivery and vocal mastery that are distinctly hers and hers alone. Montserrat may be more vocally rounded and robust but for my money, Callas has the edge, although please listen to both artists. On this 2 CD recording, Maria Callas sings beautifully and perfectly with the passion and emotion expected from the composers Puccini, Bellini, Donzetti, Bizet and Camille.

Starting with 'Vissi D'Arte' by Tosca, 'Un Bel Di Vedremo' from Puccini's 'Madame Butterfly' to 'La Mamma Morta', and beyond, Maria Callas is a pure delight with her passion, vocal control and translation of operatic movements that evoke an emotional response. This is a compilation that is so attractive and enticing, these operatic arias should have a wide appeal. This is enduring world-class operatic singing that evokes the scenery of the dramatic events of their stage settings; enchanting, enthralling and stunning both in it beauty and intensity. Highly recommended. EMI sound is excellent as is the orchestration.
on 4 July 2009
Would recommend every one who loves Maria Callas to have this as a basic 'must have'. Good quality and no 'yelling whatsoever'.
Please enjoy these 2 cd's - I have given this item as a present to my friends and they too were delighted.
on 10 March 2014
I am not a good reviewer of opera and classical albums, at least in the terms that will do the artist justice. But then again if you are buying this album you know what you are getting right? The album is well recorded and if you have a revealing system you wont be disappointed.
on 14 February 2016
I listen to this in the car and nobodies bad driving can upset me. MC was so much better than I remember of her later years
on 26 January 2014
You either adore her, as I do, or you think she sounds like a cat on the roof. Many of the items on these disc I have on various discs so it is nice to have them on this set. I shall sit back in my armchair and enjoy many a pleasureable evening. If you are a fellow admirer sit back and enjoy.
on 6 April 2016
There is plenty here to demonstrate her extraordinary singing technique
on 8 May 2016
what can I say ,terrific cd from the original diva.
on 28 January 2016
Beautiful music and great opera singer. Love it.
on 22 April 2011
This was excellent, received in very good condition and is everything that we had hoped it would be. Well done.
on 8 November 2015
Superb can't stop playing this CD