4.0 out of 5 stars pop at its best
I read the reviews of this album and suspected it might turn out to be the usual bland, identikit solo female stuff that seems to be everywhere at the moment. Well, was I pleasantly surprised! KT Tunstall has a fantastic voice that's incredible versatile, soft and wistful (Silent Sea), gutsy and bluesy (Black Horse and the Cherry Tree) or sweet and feminine (Under the...
Published on 3 Mar 2005 by R. Cornthwaite

3.0 out of 5 stars Over produced, but brimming with promise
This Edinburgh-born lass first came to my attention during an October appearence on 'Later With Jools Holland.' What particularly grabbed me was a terrific performance of 'Black Horse and the Cherry Tree', for which Tunstall recorded and looped sounds, whilst playing, ingeniously building up a sound that was not only infectious, but kind of unique. Remembering that...
Published on 2 Jan 2005 by old_git_smith

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST ALBUM I'VE EVER OWNED, 16 Feb 2006
This review is from: Eye To The Telescope (Audio CD)
This is an AMAZING album by a woman with an AMAZING voice. It is on constant replay in our cars and we have dozens of copies. Definitely the best album I have ever owned and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. I never get bored of it and can't wait untill the very telented K.T. Tunstall releases more of her fabulous work. *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute GENIUS!!!, 14 Dec 2005
R. Quinn "ruthyq" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eye To The Telescope (Audio CD)
This album is fantastic. KT Tunstall is a magnificent songwriter and a brilliant musician. Eye to the Telescope should be an essential addition to everyones' CD collection.
BUY IT....NOW!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Singular, 14 Aug 2005
This review is from: Eye To The Telescope (Audio CD)
What, I think, draws KT out of the crowd is an ability to weave a small world around the listener. In great part this is down to the way she expertly uses rhythm. The beat - especially on Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - is often evocative of Lakota/Dakota (Native American) dances. KT then works the instrumental beat around a careful use of lyrical rhythm. The beat emphasises words that she wishes us to remember, and this simultaneously keeps the beat at the forefront of our mind. It is a tactic often used to great effect in Celtic poetry.
KT possesses a smooth, comfortable voice that lacks great range or power (in comparison to somebody like Patty Griffin, for instance). Fortunately, she plays to her strengths. When she does indulge in a soaring note, its effect is augmented by her use of a laid back sound as a baseline. By the time she climbs, her beautiful rhythm and persausive voice have succeeded in building velvet walls in which the lyrics weave in and out of the weft.
These songs are consummately crafted. There is no excess. Every note shines on a neatly arranged canvas. My only complaints are that:
1) KT's lyrics are sometimes impenetrable and don't always meet my fussy standards. It would be nice to hear a little more... fire. Defiance and indefatigability. These are things that seem hard to come by these days - every body is obsessed with ennui. I would be happy to live with a little less polish in exchange for this.
2) The nature of the music is such that I often stop listening to the lyrics and sink into the sound. It's very difficult to separate the two because they are so intertwined. From a technical standpoint, I admire this. However, I am always suspicious of listening to something when I am not fully cognizant of its meaning.
An album worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not since joplin has a female artist gotten under my skin like KT has., 15 Aug 2007
This review is from: Eye To The Telescope (Audio CD)
Eye to the Telescope has been in my car player for the last three weeks. What an outstanding compilation of voice and sounds to feed ones senses.
KT is a thunder storm on a hot windy night. I can only imagine the mornings, the sweet smell of her earthy naturalness must be overweling. God I love her ever changing rythums and totally different sound. Different from any other styles and as far as other females go; females? Just forget the rest of them.
All I ask is that she make it to the Southwest, Phoenix would be great but just make it somewhere down here..
Wow...

2.0 out of 5 stars Well meaning but essentially lame, 26 April 2007
Mr. Mark R. Nolan "mark robert nolan" (Manchester City Centre) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eye To The Telescope (Audio CD)
I tend to openly herald the arrival of a great new female singer-songwriter, whom record companies have placed their bets on and for me, KT Tunstall was no exception. I flew out to buy it, without really hearing much of the album, except for the reviews, which weren't bad, depending on how you look at things. Unfortunately I was disappointed. "Suddenly I See" rapidly becomes one of those tracks for which you just want to eject the cd and snap it in half. Fake American accents and styling are at best annoying, especially when you discover she's a Scotsman. "Other Side of the World" sounds like a cross between a lethargic Alanis Morrisette and, I have to say it, Natasha Bedingfield (KT, I am really sorry about stating the latter, especially.)

The album has its moments but they are relatively few. Instead of doing for Scotland what Kate Bush did for England, K. T. has settled for a decidedly middle of the road, middle of America, middle of the pavement sound. Its a shame and I hope the next one (and there will be one, as this one's sold a shed load,) has a lot more guts as KT seems intelligent and clued up. unfortunately this debut is neither. It may have been given 3 stars but the fake American accent deserves a deduction of at least one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Mark Nolan..., 10 Aug 2007
This review is from: Eye To The Telescope (Audio CD)
Dear Mr Nolan (previous reviewer)
I read your reviews of Eye to The Telescope, and was throughly disgusted!
Your Review said all this american accent rubbish, what american accent?
She may not sound Scottish but she sounds very Brittish.
Anyway, who are you to critise? Have you ever relesed a album that went to no1? Do you play multiple instruments? Do you sing? NO.
This is a supurb album that really hits the right note in every place... cannot think of a single critism!

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent songs, excellent talent, but..., 7 Jan 2007
This review is from: Eye To The Telescope (Audio CD)
I do not buy albums very often these days. Those that I do buy are such as this, and only after I have heard a few radio plays of tracks from them. I knew that I *wanted* this album, as I was extremely impressed with what I heard.

I then bought it, and was in for a shock. I cannot put my finger on it, but, basically, it sounds terrible. The tracks are not badly produced, badly written, and musically it is very good. But the album itself, on listening through my Sony CD player/Denon Amp and Tannoy speakers, or on Sennheiser cans, all source direct (the only way to judge an album or listen to it), sounds like a VERY poor recording, akin to how I would imagine something one might aquire from Del-Boy.

I do not know why, and, very strangely, I put the CD into my PC, and converted it to ATRAC at 132kbps to listen to on my MP3 player. On this, it sounds superb.

I can only assume that, these days, the music industry is 'down-producing' in the knowledge that as so many people use MP3 technology and thus compress the music, they can get away with it.

Were I rating the content, I would give this album 5 stars.

It receives 3 because, sadly, I simply cannot listen to this on my Hi Fi and be in any way involved, in fact, the harshness and lack of depth force me not to.

It sounds great in the car, or on portable equipment, but not on my main system at least.

2.0 out of 5 stars KT has been let down by her record label, 23 Jan 2006
Stuart Bailey (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eye To The Telescope (Audio CD)
I have over 20,000 albums/cd's and this is without doubt the worst purchase I have ever made. The producer/engineers have failed to capture KT's performance, it is monotonous and boring. This girl is simply GREAT live, this recording lets her down and does not give the listener a true insight of her immense talent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all.., 25 May 2005
Ole Sommerstad "Rollermills Music" (Norway | Moss) - See all my reviews
4 great songs:
1) Other Side Of The World - Brilliant
2) Another Place To Fall - Good
3) Black Horse And The Cherry Tree - Brilliant
4) Suddenly I See - Good
Maybe not fair, but forget the rest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..........................boring., 1 April 2006
This review is from: Eye To The Telescope (Audio CD)
I must have been listening to a different album to those who have already submitted reviews. Apart from her hits the rest of the album is tedious.

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 | Next ›