5.0 out of 5 stars Take me away...
This is totally unlike anything else in my collection. Probably the most relaxing music I have. Someone else calls it ambient. I'd agree and also throw in hypnotic. After a really stressful day, just put this on, with headphones and lay still with your eyes shut on the floor of the lounge. Bliss.
But make sure you have the house to yourself first. You get so...
Published on 29 Aug 2003 by dangermash

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good delivery
Very disappoint wanted for a presant so ordered in good time it's now the 1st of March and was told that I would have it by the 27th of February we'll let down
Published 6 months ago by HELEN ELAINE WOODHEAD

5.0 out of 5 stars Take me away..., 29 Aug 2003
dangermash (Hartlip, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MCMXC A.D. (Audio CD)
But make sure you have the house to yourself first. You get so carried away by this that the shock of being brought back to the real world by having a cat brush past you is more than the average human being can stand. Nearly creosoted my kecks I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing debut, 23 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: MCMXC A.D. (Audio CD)
I find it almost impossible to decide which of Enigma's albums I like the most -- each is a masterpiece in its own right and, although some elements recurr throughout, each nevertheless has a very different sound, tone and "feel". I found MCMXC AD quite different to Enigma's later works -- it's less rock and slightly more ambient, with fewer lyrics and more emphasis on beat and melody. There is also a much greater feeling of sensuality that pervades the album, in fact at first I was quite thrown aback by its overt sexuality. I wonder how many people actually know what and who "Sadeness" is about!
The first track, "Voice of Enigma" provides our obligatory opening. We then have Enigma's biggest chart hit, "Sadeness", a beautiful, haunting and sexy track that's among my top five Enigma songs. It then seagues into the equally sexy "Find Love" and then a reprise of "Sadeness". "Callas Went Away" is a mellow, low-key but satisfying number, followed by the rousing and invigorating "Mea Culpa". Alas, "The Voice and the Snake" is the only Enigma track that I truly hate and always skip. It sounds silly, bizarre and almost Satantic -- mercifully it only last just over a minute. Things pick up with the largely instrumental "Knocking on Forbidden Doors" and "Back to the River of Belief" which are mainly about atmosphere and mood and are pretty effective as such. Things are capped off by "Rivers of Belief" a gorgeous little song sung by Enigma mastermind Michael Cretu.
All in all, this is a great album -- not so much about songs and lyrics as atmosphere and mood. This is probably the most mellow of Enigma's albums, and differing somewhat from their faster, more intense and lyricised later works, MCMXC AD is "chill-out" par excellence. At its best, Enigma's music has a truly unique and wondrous ability to be transcendental -- to whisk you off into a different world entirely. It's just as Sandra seductively purrs in the first track...

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystical, 8 Mar 2007
This review is from: MCMXC A.D. (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerfully energetic beats, and calming passionate vocals., 22 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: MCMXC A.D. (Audio CD)
This is a very original CD, which doesn't fit nicely into a particular genre - perhaps ambient, but the highly atmospheric, deep bassy beats have nearly blown my speakers many times! The calmer meditating vocals, and the Gregorian chants in Sadeness convey such powerful emotion, that it's difficult not to find yourself hypnotically absorbed in the music. The Limited Edition (so limited that I've seen it more often than the original!) is well worth getting - it's 15 mins longer, and the extra tracks continue the mood perfectly. As the Voice of Enigma sayeth: "Take a deep breath, turn off the lights, and relax... let the rhythm be your guiding light."

5.0 out of 5 stars MCMXC AD - Enigma, 10 Feb 2009
This review is from: MCMXC A.D. (Audio CD)
I can't really add much to what everyone else has been saying about this album for the last eighteen years, but I will say this.

If you have seen Tropic Thunder, you will never be able to listen to 'Sadeness (Part 1)' without descending into fits of giggles at the scene where Robert Downey Jr and Tobey Maguire make googly eyes at each other in the trailer for 'Satan's Alley'.

Genius.

The album all sounds like that. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and mesmerising, 23 May 2003
jode hughes (brighton, east sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MCMXC A.D. (Audio CD)
This music is really quite consuming, you feel completely absorbed in it and by it. Just great. A refreshing change from all the pop rubbish that is around. You have to be in the right mood for it otherwise it just annoys you but when you are in the right space WOW! it is just fabulous. Give it a chance to grow on you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best, 19 Aug 2008
This review is from: MCMXC A.D. (Audio CD)
This is definately the best album out of them all. After having this for many years, it never gets old.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love ENIGMA!, 21 Feb 2004
M. Ivanova "i_am_she_wolf" (London, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MCMXC A.D. (Audio CD)
Always loved Enigma, and always will!!! Brilliant music, most unusual, but so beautiful... I love all tracks, can't even tell favourites, but in general, this music is the only music that I can listen in every mood, it just the best for relaxation, thought some of the songs are full of passion, desire, lust... But others are so high, telling long forgot stories...

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 14 April 2008
This review is from: MCMXC A.D. (Audio CD)
I have to say that this album is by far amazing (slightly confused by the amazong.co.uk and amazon.com reviews because i personally dont think the author of said reviews listened to the same album as the rest of us.) This piece has the magical ability to pick you up and take you away into a beautiful land in your imagination and let you roam free. It is like a book that you cant put down and are sorry to finish, but glad because you can pick it right back up again to re-read.
The styles that M.C uses and the variety of "unorthodox" ways that he uses them and mixes them truly creates a whole new era of music that modern day music just has no hope of even beginning to touch on. the classy touches of sexiness that on initial listening prove to be pure humour draw you into a deeper world that touches on the raw human soul in ways that words cannot describe and eludes to something so much deeper and more meaningful (no pun)
enigma is what it says, an enigma, and a very beautiful one at that!

5.0 out of 5 stars A hauntingly sexy musical journey...., 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: MCMXC A.D. (Audio CD)
Funnily enough my first encounter with Enigma's MCMXC A.D. was back in September 1994 on a return flight from a holiday on Malta when it was the pilot's music of choice for piping through to the cabin during a delay for take-off and what a perfect choice! Right from the first words spoken it truly is "music for relaxation and meditation" so was ideal for the circumstances and certainly proved very agreeable to many of the frustrated passengers (who wanted to know what it was/who by) and, for me, has been much-loved ever since. I did have the album on cassette, but years of use have degraded the quality and so, having recently changed my car to one with a CD player (yep, I'm now firmly into the 21st century folks!) decided it was finally time to upgrade my copy and so treated myself to this wonderful example of musical genius on a laser bright CD. I love all the tracks but my absolute favourites have to be (1) the erotic Principles of Lust, (2) the rocky Mea Culpa and (3) the lilting Rivers of Belief, but usually I just play the whole thing through anyway! Suddenly it's been like I'm hearing it for the first time all over again as the sounds swap between left & right, dipping then soaring from the four speakers and sweeping all around to gather you in... mmm, it really does make for a haunting, relaxing (yet uplifting) & very sexy experience which I thoroughly recommend!

MCMXC A.D.