5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest album ever
I can't believe that this is the first review of the greatest album ever made. A joy from the first track to the last. A rollercoaster of hopes, tears dreams, love, loss tied up with beautiful melodies. If you merged Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder(from the 70's) and Frank Sinatra, put them together for a wet weekend in Dundee this is what would come out. Perfect.
Published on 28 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars I belong the area where this group originated.
I tried to get this CD in the Tayside area to no avail. However Amazon proved once again that they can literarily provide needles in haystacks.
Published 15 months ago by Inverleith

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest album ever, 28 Feb 2001
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Say a prayer for me, 19 Nov 2003
This review is from: Meet Danny Wilson (Audio CD)
It's rare that British bands produce such a polished set as the debut from the short lived Danny Wilson. I saw them live in my home town supporting The Christians just as the lp was released. They were a class act.
It's Gary Clarks voice that seals it combined with quality song writing reminiscent of the Dan, Cole Porter and the Beach Boys. The lyrics tell of love lost (and gained), growing up and moving away and of celebration ('Ruby's golden wedding'). The mix of guitars, keyboards and brass floats around Gary's vocals.
How ever many times I play the opener 'Davy' (my favourite cut) I am moved. It tells the tale of the young man leaving Dundee for London and Gary Clark sing: 'If you want to come home, I won't cast the first stone' - terrific.....and of course there's the fabulous 'Mary's Prayer'.
This should be in everyone's collection, and although I found the bands follow up a bit patchy, Gary Clarke's solo release ('ten short songs about love')carries on the brilliance of this release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Scottish Soul...., 25 Sep 2002
This review is from: Meet Danny Wilson (Audio CD)
A ground-breaking album in many ways this first album showcased the Danny's eclectic approach and introduced one of the most unique and fascinating sounds arising from Scotland in the 90's. The influences can be heard [Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder, Scottich Folk] but do not overwhelm the often intricate and fascinating songs. And Gary Clarke's characterful and soulful voice is always a revelation. Buy this album from one of the true innovaters - who else would use a tuba and a bass drum as the backing for a song about someones wedding anniversary [Ruby's Golden Wedding] - brilliant - buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 19 Feb 2006
Mark Leslie (Dundee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meet Danny Wilson (Audio CD)
Danny Wilson were with out a doubt the best band to come out of Scotland. To me it is a crime they did not make it as big as they should have.
I first saw them live in as Clarks Commandos, then Spencer Tracey and finally Danny Wilson, some of their early stuff was very like Steely Dan, but this album is class from start to finish, do you self a favour and buy all thier albums, plus get King L as well,the band Gary formed next, they only made one album but it follows on from this although it is a bit more rockier,

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album!, 30 April 2005
This review is from: Meet Danny Wilson (Audio CD)
I first heard Danny Wilson's "A Girl I Used to Know" without knowing who it was. I eventually found out when someone played Mary's Prayer and AGIUTK back to back on the radio. I bought the album, and was absolutely taken by the quailty of the songs, and of the performances. Mary's Prayer is probably the most loved track on the album, but the stand out tracks for me are Lorraine Parade and Steam Trains to the Milky Way. That's not to say the rest of the album is weak, because it isn't - I have worn out three LPs, and the CD (one of the first I ever bought) is rarely away from my CD player for very long.
If you love this album then be sure to seek out the singles, as the b-sides are a rare treat. (Ranging from a countrified "Mary's Prairie" to a cover of Bowie's "Cooks" to my all time fave b side "Kathleen" by Kit Clark)
A very underrated group, and I regret never seeing them live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 26 Mar 2012
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Meet Danny Wilson (Audio CD)
Meet Danny Wilson is one of those rare albums which has a sound all of its own. It was released 25 years ago, yet still sounds fresh, thanks to a band who went their own way and recorded songs that seem to be timeless.

For most people the standout moment of Meet Danny Wilson will be the brilliant Mary's Prayer; three minutes of absolute sunshine. The Dannys were canny though, they thought outside the 80s box. The rockabilly of single "A Girl I Used To Know" is a prime example of their determination to explore different genres as is the Bossa of "Nothing Ever Goes To Plan" and the pure pop of my favourite track "Aberdeen".

Every track is different from its predecessor, each has its own identity and character. You will never hear an album like it. And trust me, that's a good thing!

Timeless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 5 Nov 2010
This review is from: Meet Danny Wilson (Audio CD)
I bought this CD in 1988 and haven't got tired of it yet, I keep listening to it. One of the best CDs of the 80s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
very good

3.0 out of 5 stars I belong the area where this group originated., 9 Sep 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Which Album Are We Talking About?, 14 Dec 2011
Noel Jealous (Cardiff UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Danny Wilson (Audio CD)
The band's first album was called "Meet Danny Wilson". There is also a retrospective album called "Sweet Danny Wilson". Amazon are confused by the similar titles and you will find the same reviews posted for both albums.

Meet Danny Wilson