5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime gorgeousness
Elina Garanca first came to my personal attention on the Mozart album, her rich mezzo counterbalancing exisitely with Anna Netrebko on "Ah perdona al primo affetto" from La Clemenza di Tito and her powerful rendition of "Parto" from the same opera.

Published on 4 Feb 2009 by D. Watts

3.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous She Is
Published on 17 Aug 2009 by MLowry

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime gorgeousness, 4 Feb 2009
D. Watts (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bel Canto (Audio CD)

This CD contains music from a later period and less known to me. I was slightly put off to be honest by the Bel Canto reference (always reminds me of Harry Secombe's joke about his style being "more Can Belto than Bel Canto"...) but I've learnt a lot from listening to this recording.

Her voice is better than on the Mozart album, whether singing solo or in duets or trios. She's undearthed some real gems here too - the trio from Rossini's Maometto is absolutely stunning.

In summary, buy this: if you know her voice and not the music then be prepared to learn; if you know the repertoire but not Elina Garanca then you're in for a treat; if you know neither then this is a great place to start. If you know both then you'll have bought this without reading any reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars A voice of extraordinary beauty and tone., 27 Feb 2012
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bel Canto (Audio CD)
Elina Garanca is one of the truly great mezzo-soprano's since the 1940's. Certainly in the 50 years I have been listening to opera I have rarely come across a voice of such natural beauty with a luxurious velvety tone that exudes quality and presents the listener with a 'magical' listening experience.

This collection highlights Elina's abilty to deliver a repertoire that perfectly suites her voice and while all may not be well known, they are all worth listening to. I received the CD today and had to listen to it twice at full volume before putting it on repeat as background music. It must be 10 years since a CD has made me want to do that.

You may already be a fan of Elina, in which case you are going to love this CD. If however you are just coming to Elina's recordings you are in for a real treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant selection of tracks by brilliant singer, 10 May 2009
Tim David (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bel Canto (Audio CD)
Buying a CD with lesser known music by a great performer can be a great disappointment if the music is unappealing, or it can be a gem if the music matches the singing. Or it can be a disaster if both voice and music are no joy. In this case, as well as offering an opportunity to hear a truly brilliant and beautiful voice, this CD is a great introduction to some less familiar operas, such as Lucrezia Borgia, L'assedio di Calais, Roberto Devereux, Dom Sebastien, roi du Portugal, Maria Stuarda (all Donizetti), Aleson e Salvini, I Capuleti e i Montecchi (Bellini), and Tancredi, Maometto II (Rossini). It's hard to choose a highlight, as the tracks are all so good, but for me the best are the 4 tracks from I Capuleti e i Montecchi - Garanca's portrayal of Romeo is for me one of the greatest operatic highlights I can recall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding singing., 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Bel Canto (Audio CD)
This is one of the best CDs I have ever purchased. Elinor Garanca has the most beautiful voice and the choice of music is excellent. Many lovely arias I had never before heard.I am normally very critical, but this is perfection if you enjoy Bellini and Donizetti.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Find!, 25 Feb 2011
This review is from: Bel Canto (Audio CD)
I discovered Elina Garanca by accident on youTube.
She is a mezzo-soprano, a rarity now - most of the best are no longer singing.
I think she has yet to find "her" arias, but I will enjoy listening to her search.
If you like passionate, powerful singing you will like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous She Is, 17 Aug 2009
This review is from: Bel Canto (Audio CD)
This Latvian mezzo-soprano has been making waves for some time in no small part due to her unquestionable photogenity. Well, gorgeous she is and it hasn't taken A&R guys too long to figure out how to pair her with another opera media starlet, Ms Anna Netrebko. That's another project, though. I have to say that, normally, my ideal of bel canto goes soft on highs and articulate on lows which Ms Garanca, on this record, does neither. There is nothing shameful in the fact that the art of opera which, aside the recordings continues its second life on stage, aside great singers has also need for great lookers who present beautifully on billboards and CD covers. Not to be misunderstood--Ms Garancia is doing a decent job on this record and she sings quite well, indeed. But she looks even better.

Bel Canto
Bel Canto by Elina Garanca (Audio CD - 2009)