5.0 out of 5 stars A fast and quiet drive
Bought this to replace a Samsung Spinpoint SP1604N, which was chosen for its quietness and was mounted in a Silent Drive enclosure inside the PC, from QuietPC. The Seagate is slimmer than the Samsung, so didn't fit the Silent Drive enclosure, but direct mounting it inside the PC resulted in an even quieter drive than before. So I can recommended this type for anyone...
Published on 18 April 2009 by Mr. Martin Cowen

2.0 out of 5 stars Drive developed a fault
After first installing this drive, it worked without problems for about two weeks and I was actually very happy with it - it was fast and much quieter than my Samsung drive. However, one day it started making a beeping noise and became unreliable. In the end it was no longer detected by the computer and I had to return it for a refund.

On the upside, Amazon's...
Published on 20 Feb. 2010 by Mr. A. A. Wade

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HD at a great price, 15 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 3.5 inch 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache) (Electronics)
very pleased with this fast HD.

an excellent choice to combine with a media player or for backing up work.

would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Novice Review, 6 Sept. 2010
I bought this hard drive because I was unable to fix and unwilling to pay someone else to fix an existing hard drive which suffered from a BSOD. I had never attempted to do anything inside the computer before, but found the installation process very simple and it has worked perfectly. Now I have access to my existing data and a faster system without having to pay over a hundred pounds. Good performance and good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seagate 500GB Internal hard drive, 15 Feb. 2010
Only installed a few weeks ago but performing well to date. Unable to comment on long term performance. Please note that the drive does not come with any installation instructions, mounting screws or connecting cables. OK if you have changed out/added disks before but process not always straightforward. Windows explorer may not recognise the disk when installed. Make sure you arm yourself with instructions before you start - plenty available on the web.

1.0 out of 5 stars Breaks down, 30 Jun. 2010
A. Bush - See all my reviews
i was initially fairly pleased with the hard drive. BUT after 4 hours the hard drive broke and started clicking. I sent the drive back to Amazon and they sent me a replacement. After the new one turned up I plugged it in and booted it, it worked for about two days but then the same thing happened again the hard drive started clicking and squeaking. I sent it back for a refund and am never going to but from this make again.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'M HAPPY, 12 Mar. 2010
A. Mcgarry (fife,scotland.) - See all my reviews
I bought this for more space for my downloads & it does the job just how i expect.odd thing though, i have a dell optiplex 520, & the dell site says it uses an 80 or 120gb drive only. well i popped this in and no problems at all. does'nt seem to race the cooling fans like my old drive did! i thought it was a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive and worth every penny, 8 Aug. 2009
T. Pye (Norwich England) - See all my reviews
I was short of space for films etc do I purchased this drive. It is installed in an external case. It was so esy to fit but more of a bind whenI tried to use it. How to format an external hard drive.After pondering a while I tried the internet. Easy once you know how.It took ages to format but it is a 500 gig after all. Its now fired up and works so well. To say I am pleased is an understatement.
If you buy one of these drives take advice from the internet on how to format. So wont regret it.

Trevor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will never buy seagate again, 19 Jun. 2012
I originally bought 2 of these drives which I ran in raid0 without problems for around a year before 1 of them died leaving me with 1tb of lost date...

I took the bad drive out and ran the other for a further 2months before it died as well.... I returned both and received two refurbished drives back.

the first lasted around 8months before failing, and the second has just started to fail...

Both drives are yet again about to go back to seagate...

All in all, a terrible experience with seagate drives.

Before buying seagate I always bought Western Digital which were flawless.... now I believe WD and Seagate are the same company so I will opt for possibly a samsung drive next time around.

I am now tempted to put these refurbed units straight on ebay when I receive them and buy another make.

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed after 2 years, 18 Sept. 2011
I bought this drive almost exactly 2 years ago. At first I used it as an external disk in an enclosure for about a year, and then my (Samsung) internal hard drive broke, so I used this drive as an internal drive instead. It worked fine, but very recently, it has started to fail. Windows started crashing, linux dumped i/o errors and the machine failed to boot from the drive, so I ran a SMART test and got the following result:

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.
See vendor-specific Attribute list for failed Attributes.

I'm not particularly impressed. According to the SMART readout, the drive's power-on hours is 5627, and it has been power-cycled 831 times (really not very much usage).

It is still within warranty, so I guess I shall see how this goes. On the website, I cannot get a return code currently, because the service is "unavailable" however!

I hope you find this useful. A drive's longevity is an important consideration. Perhaps other people have had better results with this drive.

Regards,

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent hard drive, 25 Mar. 2011
I've had this hard drive for 2 years now and it has just failed, I used it to store my files on but had noticed it misbehaving so did a back up to a western digital drive. The WD drive I've had for a lot longer and that still works so I'd rate that a lot higher than this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe unreliable., 18 Mar. 2011
This drive arrived double wrapped in cardboard, but without foam or bubble plastic
to protect from sharp knocks in the post.
It is a small, quiet, fast drive and performed excellently as my second data storage drive.

I chose slow format and one partition and everything appeared fine to start with,
then, suddely after only two days use the PC did not see the drive and waited as it tried to read.
So I opened up the PC case and gave the drive
a gentle tap sideways with screwdriver handle, it stated to work again as I tried to recover data,
but data was lost, it rapidly deteriorated to become unusable.
I notice that for another user on these reviews this drive lasted only 2 weeks.
Generally I've found Seagate drives to be very reliable so am wondering why this batch
appears to be not so good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›