on 29 January 2011
Having owned and used several Seagate Barracuda drives and never having a problem with any of them it was an easy decision to buy Seagate again, especially as the price of these drives was so good. I was intending to buy the 250Gb product, but when I saw that the 500Gb drive was only and extra £4 that looked like particularly good value for money. In true Amazon style the new drive arrived the next working day although I had only opted for free standard delivery. Fitting the drive was straightforward -connect 2 wires and job done. The BIOS detected the new drive and all I had to do was copy the system and data from my old 80Gb HDD.
Although the drive comes without any software, Seagate produce an excellent piece of software called "Discwizard" which can be downloaded free from their website. Using this makes the setup of the new drive very easy and my system booted from the new disc when I removed the old one with everything looking exactly the same except I now had 450Gb of spare space. Windows now loads a few seconds quicker so I assume data transfer rates are slightly better. All in all a well worthwhile upgrade and excellent value for money at just over £31 including free p&P.
on 18 September 2011
I bought this drive almost exactly 2 years ago. At first I used it as an external disk in an enclosure for about a year, and then my (Samsung) internal hard drive broke, so I used this drive as an internal drive instead. It worked fine, but very recently, it has started to fail. Windows started crashing, linux dumped i/o errors and the machine failed to boot from the drive, so I ran a SMART test and got the following result:

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.
See vendor-specific Attribute list for failed Attributes.

I'm not particularly impressed. According to the SMART readout, the drive's power-on hours is 5627, and it has been power-cycled 831 times (really not very much usage).

It is still within warranty, so I guess I shall see how this goes. On the website, I cannot get a return code currently, because the service is "unavailable" however!

I hope you find this useful. A drive's longevity is an important consideration. Perhaps other people have had better results with this drive.

on 31 August 2010
Purchased two of these 500gb drives to replace a couple of 80gb 7200.10 versions that I bought a couple of years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Windows Experience Index has rated these 6.1, rather than the 5.9 that the older drives got, which suggests they are performing better even though they are from the same Barracuda family.

The older 80gb drives have been faultless since I purchased them, so I expect nothing less of the newer 500gb drives, another of which I installed in a different PC about a month ago.

The drives are very quiet and I've no complaints about the speed of access. Only time will tell if they are as resilient as previous Seagate drives I've used. I switched to using Seagate some years ago after experiencing failures with drives from Maxtor and Western Digital. I tend to build PC's for myself and my family and upgrade every couple of years and I feel that I have found a good quality, but cost effective drive in the Seagate Barracuda.
on 6 September 2010
I bought this hard drive because I was unable to fix and unwilling to pay someone else to fix an existing hard drive which suffered from a BSOD. I had never attempted to do anything inside the computer before, but found the installation process very simple and it has worked perfectly. Now I have access to my existing data and a faster system without having to pay over a hundred pounds. Good performance and good value.
on 19 June 2012
I originally bought 2 of these drives which I ran in raid0 without problems for around a year before 1 of them died leaving me with 1tb of lost date...

I took the bad drive out and ran the other for a further 2months before it died as well.... I returned both and received two refurbished drives back.

the first lasted around 8months before failing, and the second has just started to fail...

Both drives are yet again about to go back to seagate...

All in all, a terrible experience with seagate drives.

Before buying seagate I always bought Western Digital which were flawless.... now I believe WD and Seagate are the same company so I will opt for possibly a samsung drive next time around.

I am now tempted to put these refurbed units straight on ebay when I receive them and buy another make.
on 14 August 2010
I change my hard drive every three years whether it is working or not - just to be safe. The Seagate drives have always lasted three years, and I use them exclusivly. They are quiet and reliable and this one is fast, running at 7200 RPM. Best of all, Seagate have free software that enables you to plug in your new drive and copy all the information from your existing primary master disk, including the operating system and all programs. You can then save this as a backup in case of disaster. The software is called DiskWizard. Just one point - if you have already installed Acronis True image,Acronis True Image Home 2010: Backup and Recovery (PC), DiskWizard will not install, as it uses the same name for its files but Acronis will also do the job for you - its not free, but also not expensive when you consider the cost of losing data.
on 15 March 2009
very pleased with this fast HD.

an excellent choice to combine with a media player or for backing up work.

would definitely recommend.
on 18 March 2011
This drive arrived double wrapped in cardboard, but without foam or bubble plastic
to protect from sharp knocks in the post.
It is a small, quiet, fast drive and performed excellently as my second data storage drive.

I chose slow format and one partition and everything appeared fine to start with,
then, suddely after only two days use the PC did not see the drive and waited as it tried to read.
So I opened up the PC case and gave the drive
a gentle tap sideways with screwdriver handle, it stated to work again as I tried to recover data,
but data was lost, it rapidly deteriorated to become unusable.
I notice that for another user on these reviews this drive lasted only 2 weeks.
Generally I've found Seagate drives to be very reliable so am wondering why this batch
appears to be not so good.
on 18 March 2011
I've bought 3 of these drives in 3 separate purchases since Christmas, all 3 work fine in my 2006 Mac Pro.

Packaging on the first one included a sponge middle ring between the toothed sponge in the top and bottom of the box, holding the drive very firmly in place but neither of the subsequent two packages included this foam ring, leaving the drive free to travel laterally around in the box, which it did on both occasions. No surface damage but both will have been vulnerable to knocks in transit as a result of this. Hopefully no damage will show up in the future.

For the drives themselves:

I have a highly subjective slight suspicion that Seagates are slightly more responsive in this computer than the Western Digital Caviar 500GB S300 16mb 7200rpm WD5000AAKS I have had in a Mirrored software RAID assembly for the last 3.5 years.

(both drives hold my data identically insuring against loss of data if one drive breaks, but you can still delete things accidentally and lose them forever so it's not a complete backup solution, just insurance against a single drive breaking)

One Western Digital has 'developed a hardware problem which cannot be fixed' - ie it's broken - after a lot of use but the other continues just fine after identical use over 3.5 years and for the moment is still my main Data drive, for the moment backed up using Time Machine which I'm using for the first time and is brilliant. Simply nominate a backup drive, click go and you're done. In hindsight this would have saved me buying one of these 3 Seagates as it offers a better insurance against breakage than Mirroring as it also protects against accidental deletion.

The old drives were Western Digital Caviar 500GB S300 16mb 7200rpm WD5000AAKS and were absolutely great otherwise.
on 30 June 2010
i was initially fairly pleased with the hard drive. BUT after 4 hours the hard drive broke and started clicking. I sent the drive back to Amazon and they sent me a replacement. After the new one turned up I plugged it in and booted it, it worked for about two days but then the same thing happened again the hard drive started clicking and squeaking. I sent it back for a refund and am never going to but from this make again.