on 2 December 2009
This book is the 4th and last in the 'Apocalpyse' series, which is a spin-off from the highly successful 'Left Behind' series of Christian novels. I've read many of the 'Left Behind' books and a couple of other spin-off books, and I found many of them disappointing -- lacking in suspense, weak on character development, and generally poorly written. But the 'Apocalypse' series is much better. It focuses on a U.S. Ranger in a war that's taking place when the Rapture happens, and on the soldier's family back home, and one or two other characters. It intercuts between stories to create dramatic tension very well, and there's a lot of explosive action, a legal storyline (in book 3, 'Apocalypse Burning') and several stories of counselling the trauma of those 'left behind'.

You can usually tell if fiction is aimed at men or women by the ratio of weapons specifications to love stories. These books tend towards the weapons specs, but behind all the action they're full of human stories that will grab at the heart of many a compassionate man or woman.

If I was the editor of the series, there are a couple of things that I'd change because I didn't find them believable enough (and there's one outright continuity error in book 4). But if you're looking for gifts for Christian kids that they'll actually read, I recommend these books for boys from about 11 upwards, and for girls of the same ages who'll take realism over 'happy ever after'.