on 7 March 2013
I am connecting a Retina Macbook Pro (15", 2.4Ghz, 16gb) with 2 Dell U2713M with resolution of 2560x1440. Works great so far with 2 Apple Dual Link DVI adapters. One thing to note is that these adapters require USB for power and the Y-shaped end of the adapter does not make the USB cable long enough to connect to the second available USB port on the rMBP as it is located on the right side (the Thunderbolt ports are both on the left side, along with one USB port). I wish Apple had put both USB ports next to the 2 Thunderbolt ports. I am also using a Macbook Air which is placed to the left of the rMBP and connecting the second USB cable into the MBA, this works just fine as the USB cable is merely looking for a power source. So I suppose if you only had the rMBP you would have to find a way to power the second Dual Link adapter. I have also tested using the Dell U2713M with the MBA (which can only take one external monitor this way) and works just fine so will consider picking up a third monitor and dual link adapter for a full setup. As a note I am not using this setup for any graphic intensive work, mostly text and charts and as noted it works wonderfully well. Bear in mind the laptop will be hotter at work as it is working harder to support the external monitors and occasionally the fans will be a little noisy but nothing too alarming. I read a lot of negative reviews on the Dual Link Adapter before purchasing but I suspect the problems may arise if using older equipment as most reviewers who were using relatively new equipment (monitor and computer) seemed to be fine.
on 12 July 2013
It's the only way to get a resolution higher than 1080p out of a Mac Mini but Apple make you pay too much for what seems an oversight on their part for not providing a Dual-Link DVI output to start with. It's also annoying that only Apple make this cable as it means they can dictate the price.

At least the price on Amazon is cheaper than buying direct from Apple or a from an Apple retailer.
on 2 August 2014
I initially had issues with the well known interference (intermittent colour distortion and artefacts etc) which was pretty unusable.
I was using a cheap DVI dual link cable that I had bought 6 years ago. So I bought a startech branded DVI dual link cable (£8) and now I have no issues at all, working perfectly. My monitor is a Hazro HZ27WC, with a late 2013 Macbook Pro 15".

By the way, the same old cable I had works fine when connected to my PC with the same monitor, but doesn't work with the Apple adapter. My guess is that Apple's adapter has different and stricter time constraints on the digital signals perhaps and therefore requires a decent quality cable.

So my advice is, don't listen to the people complaining about the adapter. Just try is with a decent quality DVI cable for yourself. When I say decent quality DVI cable, I don't mean spending £50 on one, you should be able to get one for under £15 online.
on 23 June 2013
Item was faulty when received. The Dual Link is causing interference problems on the Apple 30" Cinema Display
(moving streaks across a black background)
on 13 January 2015
A note for those who are experiencing issues:
With the device plugged in to a monitor and the Mac, Click the apple in the top left -> About this Mac -> More info -> System Report ->Graphics/Display.
On the right hand box, under the title of your monitor model number, you should see this:
Adapter Type: Apple Mini DisplayPort To Dual-Link DVI Adapter
Adapter Firmware Version: 1.03
If the firmware version is less that 1.03 then take it to an apple store and they will replace it.

Other than the exuberant price, Im very happy with this adapter, it has worked exceptionally since connecting it up. Being powered by USB from the Mac, and having a pass through actually works very well for me. I have a mains powered hub plugged into the pass through which reduces the number of individual cables I need when I hook up to my desk monitor.
on 26 March 2014
There are great deals now on Korean monitors at above HD resolution. BUT the one I got is dual-link DVI. The inexpensive single -link DVI adapters will only deliver a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080. To get 2560 you need an active, dual-link adapter like this one, which is what I got. I plugged it in and it works perfectly. The secret to getting the monitor to work: buy an expensive dual-link DVI adapter like this one. The secret to getting the adapter to work: ensure that the adapter has Firmware Version 1.03 (as do all new ones).
on 17 June 2011
Nice looking and with a USB output that you can connect to the monitors hub. Connected to my new 13" macbook pro with thunderbolt/mini display port. Nothing. Crap I thought. Updated OSX and it sprung to life. So if your having probs update and you may be ok.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2015
To cut a long short short, the product works. I have a Dell 30'' 3007 monitor that I can drive off a mini display port from either a Lenovo x230 or Mac Book Pro 2010. Resolution of 2560 x 1600 via the mini DP. Yes its expensive, but after a number of cheaper products that I've tried over the last 2 weeks and haven't worked, this does work and did so first time
on 31 August 2014
Used to connect a 3rd party monitor to my 27" iMac as an external monitor. Item functioned as expected and I am please with its performance. My 2nd monitor was also a very high resolution 27" screen and I needed it to perform up to standard. Although the item is robustly built and high-quality I feel it is slightly expensive.
on 1 August 2013
A few glitches every now and then.... but i'm informed by other users this is quite normal....

Now get super hi res from my macbook pro onto my NEC PA271W .....

See one answered question