5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
I am very choosy about what goes in my camera, because I am paranoid about damage, but these batteries (which I bought on a wing and a prayer) have been wonderful.

Published on 1 May 2010 by Boing

1.0 out of 5 stars Suspicously low endurance
I thought I'd try it for the price, but it really isn't worth the space it takes in my bag.

Actually branded dot.foto, made in China ( see photo in gallery )

Published 17 months ago by AS BUNTING

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 May 2010
Boing (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: PowerPlanet BP-511, BP-511A, BP-512, BP-514 Compatible Digital Camera Battery for CANON EOS 5D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, D30, D60, 300D, Digital Rebel, Kiss Digital (Electronics)

I have been using them for nearly a year now with my Canon EOS 40D (also reviewed), and they have never let me down. Like the genuine Canon BP-511A battery, these are Li-ion batteries. They do not discharge rapidly when in storage, they hold more charge than the genuine Canon battery (1600mAh compared to 1390mAh), and the cycle time must be the same since I have noticed no difference in camera functions, even when really pushing my 40D writing high speed sequences of large RAW and large fine JPEG to the memory card.

I use two of these which are usually together in my Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip (also reviewed). Normally I will use the Canon battery on its own in the camera body, or these two when using the grip, but I always keep them with me in case I need additional power. I have found that when used with the grip, one of the batteries will usually discharge more than the other while being used. I am not sure if this is due to the batteries being slightly different, or the design of the BG-E2N, but it does not appear to have any effect on my photography so I am quite happy.

My advice is to save some £££ by buying these instead of the horrifically over-priced Canon BP-511A. The money you save can go into your L-series lens savings account ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain - but suitable for all cameras claimed??, 16 Aug 2009
I bought one for my 50D and it appears pretty much indistinguishable from the Canon original - so it's a snip at this price.

However, be cautious of the claimed suitability for all the models listed. This battery does definitely NOT fit the 350D, which takes a NB-2L type and is quite different (smaller, different shape, different contact configuration). I have a 350D and I've double-checked. So I'm confused by a previous reviewer who claimed it worked.

1.0 out of 5 stars Suspicously low endurance, 5 July 2013
AS BUNTING (UK) - See all my reviews

Actually branded dot.foto, made in China ( see photo in gallery )

Claiming to be a 1600 mAh battery, at 68 grams it is 10 grams lighter than my 1400 mAh batteries. With a Canon IS lens and servo autofocus on a 5D I can barely extract 100 shots from this battery, compared with 3.5 to 4 times that with more expensive 'lower capacity' batteries.

Possibly useful as a last-gasp emergency battery but I'd recommend you triple your outlay and go for a branded battery.

Update: the Duracell-branded 1400 mAh BP-511 I have just received weighs in at 78 grams, exactly as would be expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars PowerPlanet BP-511 battery for canon, 8 Feb 2011
G. Rutter (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This battery work fine, better than expected. Compared to the canon battery - I can't tell which is in the camera - which I thought might. Owned it for 4 months now and it's been great. We'll see how long it lasts into the future but in terms of price it has already paid for itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, and a great price, 17 Aug 2010
A. J. Thomson (Rochdale, UK) - See all my reviews
The original battery in my EOS 300D is on its last legs and I didn't want to spend a fortune on a 'genuine' Canon battery, when from past experience, generics have performed better.

Popped it in the camera, which fired up straight away. Took a few photos with and without flash, everything working fine. Not pushed it to its limit to see how many pictures I can get from it, but quite happy with it for reasonably regular use, and for the price compared to a genuine Canon, the choice is a no-brainer!

If it performs ok I'll be getting another as backup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Holds a charge well, 26 Nov 2010
Seems just as good as the battery that came with my Canon 40D at a fraction of the cost of replacing it with a Canon brand battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great-Cheap alternative, 24 Sep 2010
J. F. Lister (Newcastle upon Tyne England) - See all my reviews
I have waited a while before writing this review so it gave me time to test out the product properly and can confirm that they worked just as good as the Canon original (if not better)!.I would have no problems recommending these batteries for the Canon 50d .On a downside I waited a little longer for delivery than I would have expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 5 April 2010
Very pleased with these batteries we bought for our cameras and also discovered they fitted our camcorder too. No delivery charge whereas other sellers were charging far too much for postage and packing. Will be buying from this seller again.

5.0 out of 5 stars save a bundle on canon prices, 10 Feb 2014
every bit as good as the overpriced canon branded batteries - had them for over a year and still going great guns. Glad I bought these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Battery Replacement, 28 Dec 2013
Mr. J. Driver - See all my reviews
I was unsure when I bought this if it would be any good, and how it would compare to the original (I even bought a slightly more expensive Duracell battery at the same time so that I wasn't left wanting should the battery die on me.) I'm pleased to say that the battery has performed just as well as the original and the Duracell. I use my camera quite a lot, including professionally, and as for the performance of the batteries, I can't tell one from another.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›