5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job

2.0 out of 5 stars Wireless netbook that can't connect wirelessly
Published on 22 Jan 2009 by G. J. Owen

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 25 Nov 2008
G. H. Stevens - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS Eee PC 701 SD-WHI024L Netbook, Linux, 512MB RAM, 8GB SSD (White) (Electronics)
I wanted something small, light and inexpensive that I can take with me on trips home and abroad. Something that will allow me to use internet, email and keep in touch via Skype. Within an hour of receiving it I had done all these things although, sadly, not from some exotic location. I then inserted my flash drive and Linux was immediately able to open jpegs, mp3s, Word documents and a PowerPoint presentation that happened to be on the drive. I plugged in a usb mouse, keyboard and external hard drive and all were immediately recognised and available for use. I really liked the Linux interface and found it easy to use and, although I would not want to use this as my only computer due to it's limitations on configurability and the build constraints imposed by ASUS, it does have the advantage that it's less likely to get screwed-up!

5.0 out of 5 stars One Year On..., 18 Dec 2008
S. Grzywa (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this laptop a year ago and I still love it and use it all the time, its light and very fast for its spec and yes everyone wants a look at it and asks me questions about it when they see it. I had never used Linux before but I found the Xandros OS easy to use with one flaw - the wireless does not connect to WPA-Enterprise connections (connects fine to other networks eg PSK etc). This encryption is used in my University however.

I personally downloaded the Linux OS eeexubuntu (free download)and installed this on my eee instead of Xandros - you get a disk with your eee so you can always reinstall Xandros, this gave me the courage to try another OS (you will need a min 1GB pen drive/SD card to install an OS). It now connects to WPA-Enterprise. I run aMSN (MSN clone for Linux)and the eee's inbuilt webcam and mic work great. I have defiantly been converted to linux, it is extremely fast when compared to XP.

The hard drive is small - I have about 750M left free after I have installed all the programs I use. But buy an SD card to save your files on that. (I bought an 8BG card for mine)

The eee is great for sitting in the living room with or taking to uni/work with you. Power point slides, pdf's and Word/Excel documents look great when viewed full screen and I did all my studying for my exams off of this machine last year. I now also prefer Firefox to Internet explorer because of the add-ons available for it and even use this on my Desktop now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wireless netbook that can't connect wirelessly, 22 Jan 2009
G. J. Owen (Wales) - See all my reviews
I first bought an eee pc 701 soon after they went on sale in the UK. It was a dream - worked out of the box, connected to my wireless router without any trouble at all - the computer guided me through a simple wizard and it was up. Sadly the screen died just out of warranty, but I loved it enough to immediately order another. Unfortunately, the 701 is not what it was. I've been struggling away for several days and can't for the life of me get it to connect. I'm not alone - search for 'eee pc wireless problems' and see what comes up. It seems that successive operating system updates have introduced problems, and that Asus have switched from an Atheron wireless adaptor to one by Realtek which is much less reliable. Some people can connect if their wireless is unsecured, or if it uses the known-to-be flawed WEP encryption. It seems a lot of people have trouble if they use WPA encryption to secure their wireless network. Asus tech support is next to non-existent (though users on eeepc forums may well be able to help). If you're comfortable fiddling around with linux scripts, you'll probably be fine - if you're hoping for a simple netbook that connects out of the box, I suggest you look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS Eee PC 701 - What a great little device!, 23 July 2010
I bought the Asus Eee PC 701 for my daughter's 10th birthday. Being familiar with Linux based systems (I use Ubuntu on my PC), I thought this device would be just the thing for her. It wasn't until I started using it that I realised just how good it is. The desktop is well organised and has pretty much all the applications you'd need and some that are specifically aimed at kids to make learning fun. For those of a more techie nature, you can install other applications too just like most other Linux systems but the desktop environment hides that functionality from the more novice user.

I got the white one and it looks really good and the build quality is very good too. It's a very nice piece of hardware.

In terms of speed, I was surprised just how well it performs with the Firefox web browser performing brilliantly. Some YouTube videos have been a little glitchy whilst others have been perfect. Online Flash games play perfectly too. It would have been nice to have a configurable firewall to restrict the types of sites my daughter can visit but no firewall is supplied. For the price, though, I find it very difficult to fault it in any way, shape or form.

When my daughter opened it, she was speechless, fired it up straight away and intuitively started navigating around the system and was on to YouTube in no time at all. She loves it and uses the built in webcam and microphone to speak to me, on Skype, even if I'm only in the other room. She says it's her best present ever. Well, that'll do for me then...

4.0 out of 5 stars A little gem!, 19 Mar 2009
Sparky (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought my 701 over a year ago and it's still going strong. Took it on holiday (luckily the hotel had wireless internet) and the security person at the airport suggested I was silly putting a laptop in a suitcase - but the 701 is well built, and having solid state storage means it's not as fragile as one with a hard disk. Yes, the 701 survived the journey with no injuries!

If you're after a 2nd pc just for the internet this is a real jem. It comes with Firefox which is an admirable browser. Skype is on there too, and there's an excellent instant messenger program, aMSN that can be downloaded.

It's small and light, very portable. The keyboard is very good for a laptop, as is the mousepad. There are USB ports, so if you really want you can connect a proper keyboard and mouse, and you can connect a VGA monitor up too. And of course you can hook up external USB storage devices such as memory sticks and hard drives.

Wireless works well, and there is a normal network socket if you want to use a cable.

It comes installed with Linux - have to being new to it, but it's intuitive enough and I think most people would handle it quite easily.

The downside.... well, being so small (which is good) means the screen is small (not so good). When browsing the web it's a bit of a pain to keep scrolling the screen to see more of the page. This is an excellent laptop but you may wish to compare a 7" screen to a 10" screen first. Asus do similar laptops with larger screens.

5.0 out of 5 stars ASUS EeePC, 4 Feb 2009
R. J. Williams "R J Williams" (Cheshire Uk) - See all my reviews
I was really pleased with this PC when it arrived I bought it for a gift and it has proved to be one of the best gifts I have bought. The size is great eay to carry about light enough as well. The screen is great and easy on the eyes. I wish I had bought two.