5.0 out of 5 stars Quality songs, excellent guitar, rock your ass off!, 15 Dec 2006
Adamski (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Quality 80's glam metal from the period when your lead guitarist HAD to be able to play. CC Deville certainly does that on these songs! This is a great, uplifting party album. I wore out my vinyl, lost the cd and then bought it again! File under "excellent"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awful artwork, brilliant music., 4 Sep 2008
J. M. Salinas (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If I was to compile the top ten worst album covers in the history of music, I think this one would come in my top three.

But let the music do the talking. And boy does it talk. It talks, yaps away, and goes on like a steam train at full throttle.

The first three tracks are a relentless attack of swinging rock that will get your fists up in the air dancing and singing all along. The problem is, it's not only the first three tracks, which already grant the album five stars. ALL OF IT is just great.

And then, if you like syrupy power ballads, well, they don't come higher and mightier than the obiquitous Every Rose Has Its Thorn.

The interview at the end is a bit of a cheap extra for an expanded or remastered reissue, but who cares when you have 11 tracks of the topmost Hairspray metal ever recorded?

You have to love this to bits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only what was expected . . ., 11 Sep 2003
David Cranson (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Open Up and Say... Ahh! (Audio CD)
Poison were/are an bit of an enigma. They started out all lipstick and pouts, doing a fair impression of the New York Dolls - at least visually(!) - then decided that they wanted to be Bon Jovi.
This album starts them on the that road, with everything that you expect from a band called Poison in the 80's.
'Love on the Rocks'; 'Nothin' But A Good Time'; 'You're Mama Don't Dance', coupled with the obligitory ballad/single for US radio, 'Ev'ry Rose Has It's Thorn'.
10 good tracks from a band who were under-rated, but continued to grow from this album forwards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Times, 31 Aug 2011
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
This is my least favourite album out of their first 3. But saying that doesn't detract from the wealth of quality on display. This is a great album, just not as monumentally awesome as their chunky debut or their more winsome and introspective follow-up. But, sandwiched in the middle, Open Up... does have some great tunes.

Opener 'Love On The Rocks' is ok. It has a suitable tune and riff, the guitars sound nice (distorted but more rocky than Look What the Cat...) and it's a fun track. But it doesn't warrant much to get hot under the collar about. 'Nothin But a Good Time' however is a rock classic. It's sunny and silly and superb. 'Back to the Rocking Horse' has a nice catchy chorus and is the kind of track they focussed more on on Flesh & Blood. It's great. 'Good Love' is all a-swagger and has cheek all the way up to the hips, but it is a slight song. My least favourite. 'Tearing Down The Walls' is ok. It's good and the chorus is catchy enough but it lacks something to make it that little bit better.

'Look But You Can't Touch' is also ok. It's more chunky, guitar-wise, but remains no more than a slight track. Think 'Play Dirty' but without the attitude. 'Fallen Angel' is almost a power-ballad but would play well as a stadium-filling anthem. One of my picks for best track on the album. Very akin to the Flesh and Blood material. And then there's 'Every Rose...' Love it or hate it, it's always going to be there and, for many, was the only reason to buy this album. 'Your Mama Don't Dance' is one of those tracks I really don't like. But it's ok. It's a lot of fun without being THAT good. 'Bad to be Good' is another 'least favourite' of mine. Just very ordinary.

The bonus 'Livin for the minute' is excellent. It appeared as a b-side on 'Nothin But a Good Time' and I was always amazed why they didn't release it on the album proper.

So, mostly good, some bad, some mediocre. And a couple of stunners! If you like your rock all Motley Crue, Ratt and Warranty then you'll love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars 80's glam at it's best, 21 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Open Up and Say... Ahh! (Audio CD)
I had never heard Poison before I brought this album, but as soon as I heard the slick guitar of mr CC Deville, I was hooked. Maybe not as polished as Motley Crue but still great fun. Standout tracks are "Every Rose has a thorn" and "Love on the rocks" If you like this genre, check it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poison memories of when I was growing up, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Open Up and Say... Ahh! (Audio CD)
Love the album lost it in a move had to get it back excellent seller recommended a+++ get in there

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Open Up And Say...Ahh! - 20th Anniversary Edition (MP3 Download)
Been a big fan of Poison for a long time and most of the albums I have are still vinyl (slowly getting around to replacing my entire record collection on cd but like everyone else this is time and money consuming).

I bought this with an mp3 voucher so it only cost me £1.39 and I can put it on a cd myself when I want to listen to it in the car

Love all the tracks on this album and listening to it takes me back to when I first had it.

My favourite 3 tracks are:-

2. Nothin' But A Good Time
8. Every Rose Has Its Thorns
9 .Your Mama Don't Dance

If your a fan as well and like me didn't have this on cd then I highly suggest you either get it on mp3 or cd

5.0 out of 5 stars Poison'd my mind with great singalong anthemic rock tracks, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Open Up and Say... Ahh! (Audio CD)
Some of the catchiest songs ever to come out of the hair metal era are on this album, I dare anybody to listen to this without tapping their feet or nodding their head. A catchy fun album which makes you feel good upon hearing it. A true feel good band who never really got the plaudits they deserved. A five star album even now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poison ... 80's rock at its best !, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Open Up and Say... Ahh! (Audio CD)
Great album which I've owned on cassette since its release in the 80's but wanted to upgrade to cd version . Great songs that are rock/pop and good sing along tunes .

5.0 out of 5 stars Open up & say ahh! Poison, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Open Up and Say... Ahh! (Audio CD)
This is an excellent cd if you're into this sort of music. It is highly likely that I would recommend it to anyone.