5.0 out of 5 stars The New Tracks
Having already reviewed Rockferry and giving it a glowing review all I wish to say is that until it was replaced with this Deluxe version it was still the most played CD in my car (much to the annoyance of others who aren't as fond of her music as I am!)

Published on 6 Dec 2008 by Big Bertha

3.0 out of 5 stars echoes of 60's soul music
So far Duffy has not released a song I didn't like so when I wanted some more CDs (as I'm driving a lot at moment) I decided to buy this one. I was a bit concerned that another reviewer mentioned her voice could irritate after several tracks, luckily, for me, it doesn't. There is definately a feeling of 60's soul music and one or two tracks could benefit from Phil...
Published on 17 April 2009 by Denise hale

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Tracks, 6 Dec 2008
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)

The 7 additional tracks on the deluxe version continue in that distinctive Duffy modern take on the 60s style with the perfect mix of upbeat songs and heartfelt melodies.

Having played the additional tracks a few times now I like them all but my personal favourites are Rain On Your Parade (already released as a single), Stop which has a great catchy tune and Fool For You - a hauntingly mellow track which I keep finding myself humming.

Please Stay - Her cover of the Burt Bacharach song bought a smile to my face as I fondly remember a previous version played and played by me back in the 70's as a pre-teenager wearing my tartan trews lol!

I wish record companies would stop re-releasing albums as deluxe editions with just a few extra tracks, though in this instance the 7 additional tracks are worth every penny in my opinion.

If you like Duffy you'll love this - I certainly do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than Rockferry I, 13 Dec 2008
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I already have the original single-disc version of ROCKFERRY and I really like it. Before listening to this 'Deluxe Edition' I half-expected the seven new songs on the 25-minute-long second disc to be the crud that wasn't good enough to have been included when the first album was released. Well, that's just not true at all - the new songs are good enough to have been released as a stand-alone album, of that I am in no doubt. So this Deluxe variation is fantastic value.

I like all the tracks but I think I like the opening one 'Rain on your Parade' the best, which is to be released as a single. The style of the songwriting is just like the single-disc album, simply carrying on where that one left off. If you loved that, you'll love this.

The second track 'Fool for You' and the third 'Stop' could also be released as singles, in my opinion. They're great songs, all of the first three tracks being up-tempo in much the same way that 'Mercy' is.

The fourth track 'Oh Boy' is the first slow song although it's quite short at just two and a half minutes. She sings -

"If you ever find,
That your peace of mind,
Is shattered in so many ways and
I find my feet
Down on lonely street,
I'll be stood there waiting for you
Boy you got me."

Track five 'Please Stay' is a plaintive ballad and perhaps more than ever takes its inspirations from songs of this type from the mid 1960s, which is fine by me because I still think that the sixties was the best decade of them all for musical identity and creativity. Yes, it's possible to imagine Lulu singing this but then a moment later you realise that Duffy has a voice uniquely her own and the similarities are more coincidental than pre-meditated. That's my own take on it, anyway.

The sixth track 'Breaking My own Heart' is a close runner for being my favourite of the seven, again it's astonishing that Duffy has the talent and perhaps the courage to put such a great song on this Deluxe set because this song could comfortably have been the single and top-track from a second and entirely separate album. I love it.

Finally there's 'Enough Love', a fitting reprise to the collection on Disc 2 and on a par with everything else. There are no weak songs here at all, in my view. If you already have the first Rockferry album and you like it, you really should buy this Deluxe Edition, it's worth it!

And of course all this is on top of the ten songs that make up the original Rockferry album, making seventeen in all. For some lesser performers, the standard here is good enough to have been called 'Greatest Hits' as the quality is high from start to finish. It just makes me wonder what on earth this woman can do to top this, but I look forward to finding out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new star, 17 Dec 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I had heard people describe Duffy as the new Dusty Springfield. I would say she is a cross between Dusty and a young Lulu. I am a child of the sixties and I love this album.There isn't one song that I can fault. Her voice suits the rock numbers just as well as the ballads - Mercy to Warwick Avenue. I look forward to hearing what she comes up with next.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT!!!, 24 Sep 2009
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
After hearing Rain on Your Parade and Mercy, I knew I had to buy her album. The first time I listened to it, I wasn't really that keen on most of the songs. However, I don't think I'd really given it a chance. Because when I listened to it through again, listening properly this time around, I came to really love the album. There's nobody else out there with a voice quite like Duffy's.

The album shows an incredibly good range of music. There isn't one bad song on the whole album, and each song is very different from the last. Obviously, there's a range of the dance-style tracks like Mercy and Rain On Your Parade, but there are also belters like Rockferry, and slower songs like Distant Dreamer and Warwick Avenue. Duffy's really tried to incorporate a wide range of styles in this album that can suit any mood - I seem to find that there's a song to listen to whether I'm feeling sad, hyper or inspired. There's real soft easy listening, and there's also songs that you can't help tapping your foot to.

A truly unique and incredible album. Easily the best album I've ever bought, and I'll be pre-ordering her second the moment it comes up for release.

A must-have!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful, and worth the extra £££, 2 Feb 2009
M. White "Julian" (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Relaxing, classy music that most people will love, one of the rare wonders in the musical world. This version is well worth the money if you have yet to buy the original album.

5.0 out of 5 stars High expectations exceeded, 27 Feb 2009
SteveB "SteveB" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
What a great couple of cd's!! Having heard the singles and sampled a few of the other tracks on youtube I was expecting something good, but the reality was even better!

Duffy sings with such feeling that she's always likely to make any song sound good, but I can't pick out a single bad track in either of the two cd's and the range of songs is so impressive. I can see the title track becoming an absolute anthem over time.

Am happy to recommend this to anyone who likes good, soulful singing - sit back and wallow in the range and depth of her talented songwriting. Oh, and congrats on the Brit awards - well deserved!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Duffy - Will Rain On Your Parade, 13 Feb 2009
Mapoo (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Fantastic Album, Great Voice...

I love the song "Rain on your Parade" I looked at this Album a few time's in the Shop, and wasn't sure if to get it or not, but I guess I did lol and I loved it, So if you like a few song's of Duffys then get the Album, there are some nice songs on it. As for Cd 2 my Favourite songs are: Rain on yor parade and Stop.

Get it...

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ONE AND ONLY DUFFY, 30 Mar 2009
K. BAYLISS (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I am a real old fashioned music listener.I do not have any interest whatsoever in the the current music scene.mainly because not many of the current crop can sing or play an instrument.BUT then i was lucky enough one night to catch Duffy on the BBC.Normally i would turn straight off.But i noticed something straight away about Duffy - she could sing!!
So I took a gamble and purchased the album.Take it from me this girl will be a sensation.No matter what she says about being compared to her,she is without doubt the new Dusty Springfield - But i think better!Please,please listen to Syrup and Honey from the album,the vocal range on this song alone is just incredible.If you really listen to it intensely you will understand what i am saying.THIS GIRL CAN REALLY SING!!!
Purchase the Deluxe edition if you are going to purchase it,as the extra seven tracks are excellent - the stand out being the track Stop!
Without doubt the best album i have purchased for many a long year.Buy it you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH GETTING,EVEN IF YOU OWN THE ORIGINAL, 5 July 2011
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
You may well be thinking why should we have to fork out more money for another CD of songs that would easily have fitted onto the first CD,and i can't argue with that.
However after loving the original release of this album,i decided as the deluxe edition is going cheap now,i'll take a chance and buy it,giving the original one to my dad.
I'm happy enough with that decission now,as the other tracks are very good,and though there are only seven,it is kind of like having 2 great short albums.
I admit i wasn't overly sure about RAIN ON YOUR PARADE on first few listens when it was played on the radio,but it started growing on me,and now i actually really like it. No i'm not just saying i like said song because i didn't want to feel i've wasted money,i really have become quite fond of it,and the other 6 songs on here are very DUFFY and very good too. I could run through them all and use various superlatives or i could just save time and say i like every one of them,which i honestly do.
Of course i was annoyed after buying the original and then finding it was to be re-released with more tracks on another CD,but even so,i can't fault it. I'm glad i bought the deluxe edition,as i like DUFFY,and i'd say if tempted,buy and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth listening to, 9 Jun 2009
Mr. R. Kurz (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I was expecting a couple of hits and a lot of filler on this two cd set, but was pleasantly surprised that it's a solid listen throughout. The album tracks are thoughtful, reflective and moody; well worth listening to.

Rockferry
Rockferry by Duffy (Audio CD - 2008)