5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, catchy songs and a truly amazing voice.... beautiful, 25 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Drive (Audio CD)
Why has this talented young lady not received the recognition that she deserves? Thankfully, the film "American Pie" helped to give her some - as soon as you hear "Sway", you'll recognise it if you've seen the film. But, Bic deserves to have the recognition for her other tracks also.
She has an amazing voice, and while this is easy to tell from listening to "Sway", perhaps the best song on the album for showcasing her voice is the opening track, "Drive". This song is just Bic singing along to a guitar - it is simple yet beautiful. I won't comment on "Sway", so many other people have done so already - it goes without saying what a great song it is.
Another of my personal favourites is "Hey". Again, her voice is the most noticeable thing. But, unlike the previous two songs, this song reaches a great crescendo adding power to the song as a whole.
Give this CD a try, I doubt you'll be disappointed. It may not be the same as the pop music in the charts, but it is nothing less than pure talent - something not always found in chart music these days. Bic Runga is not just a pretty face, she is a proper artist, with bags of talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars addictive, 20 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Drive (Audio CD)
I bought this album without ever having heard any of her music - just read a review in the Times - superb! The lyrics are powerful and the music refreshing - definately addictive - a real find!

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally amazing album!, 31 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Drive (Audio CD)
I first listened to this album in 1998 after receiving it from my now New Zealand wife Holly. After just one play I was hooked! The whole album is one joyful ride from start to finish. Highlights for me were Sway, Without you and Drive. Bics voice is so hauntingly beautiful, just writing this puts a smile on my face remembering it all. Even 2 years later we still play it regularly. One of the songs is in the hit movie American Pie. Its just a shame the album never really took off in the UK. I would give this 5 stars everytime. Also look out for her sister too, who's band Stella are doing big thing in New Zealand at the moment.!

4.0 out of 5 stars a quiet revolution, 5 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Drive (Audio CD)
a voice like this should be heard not hidden away. a sense of music like this should be evrerywhere and not stiffled. all self produced and thought provoking. and you know you have had relationships like those described. Put your ear to the ground and listen to this album before she's discovered over here. I'm just waiting for the next album. Oh and Sway, if there was a god it would have been number one for weeks. vocally she can sound a bit like Andrea corr sometimes, but she has a better way of rocking out. appearently she has a sister who has a band too, but I havn't heard anything by them yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars God Bless Movie Soundtracks, 2 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Drive (Audio CD)
Without the "American Pie" soundtrack, I would never have discovered this little gem. I somehow missed the Bic Runga explosion of two years ago and only discovered this remarkable musician through a second viewing of the "American Pie" DVD.
"Sway" was, of course, the song that caught my attention, but that drove me on to buy Bic's enhanced CD immediately. While none of the other tracks have "Sway's" hypnotic, romantic quality, each is accomplished and sparkles in its own way. What makes this freshman effort more remarkable still is the fact that the Malay songstress is credited with writing, arranging, producing and with playing many of the instruments.
This is a lyrically spare album, as most of the effort seems to have gone into the impassioned vocals, but each song was cohesive and made sense within its own context, unlike the drivel produced by many artists today who are trained musically but have no sense of poetry or style. Sure, most of the songs are about silly, inconsequential things, but John Keats wrote once about a nightingale's voice and people are still reading him.
Vocally, "Drive" reminds me of Milla Jovovich's "The Divine Comedy", but this CD is musically more spare, letting Runga's lush vocals ring true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening music well worth listening to!!!, 8 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Drive (Audio CD)
Bic runga was recommended to me from a friend and I downloaded it from napster, when I listened to her song 'Sway' I was immediately hooked. One week later I bought her album, I listen to when things are going rough for me and her sweet beautiful voice relax me so much and I feel good about myself immediately. Listen to it everyone!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 21 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Drive (Audio CD)
Visiting a relative one weekend, I was interested in listening to some easy music and popped this in the player to test it out. I was pleasantly surprised.... taped it onto a cassette and haven't stop listening to it since! Now just ordered it from Amazon!

Drive