5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely "Golden" Greats.
Published on 16 Jun 2009 by C. J. Brian

1.0 out of 5 stars At least one not original track
Published on 3 April 2009 by D. P. Cox

1.0 out of 5 stars At least one not original track, 3 April 2009
This review is from: 50 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
I bought this a while back from Woollies of all places before they went bust. I took it straight back after one listen through. To me some of the tracks don't seem to be originals. In particular, one of my all time favourite classic Shadows tracks 'Wonderful Land' doesn't have those great Norrie Paromor-arranged strings in the background which really make that record. I don't know what's going on with this compilation. The Shadows are one of the all time great British bands and the record company has to get any record release right. I'd go for one of the other compilations listed on Amazon. For example, The Shadows Greatest Hits (and possibly the 20 Golden Greats which seems to be better than/different to 50 Golden Greats though I couldn't swear to it). All I'd say is choose carefully before you buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shame, 2 Oct 2008
S. Austin (woking, surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
What a great opportunity to provide all of the best guitar instrumentals on just one compilation. I looked forward to this cd with real anticipation. This should be the cd that stays in my car. But it doesn't. The songs are there but they are all sanitised ("digitally re-mastered") and not for the better. Most of the tracks lame and weak in comparison to the originals. The mono tracks have been turned into stereo but manage to sound either muffled or ethereal. A very disappointing effort that is consigned to the back of the shelf. I suppose a reasonable buy for a real Shads novice but better to go for the "At Their Very Best" compilation which rather than just digitally altering the original songs, sees the Shads recording the hits again. Whilst losing some of the original rawness, "At Their Very Best" gives the songs in their glory but with modern digital recording.

1.0 out of 5 stars Attractive compilation but flawed., 12 April 2006
Lee Beng Swee "BS Lee" (Malaysia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
Wonderful compilation on a double disc album of their greatest hits, BUT..

Having compared with earlier 20 Golden Greats compilation, EMI certainly screwed up on Disc 1. Did some random track comparison and found disappointing flaws.

Track 1: Apache: Over bloomed with less definition.

Track 15: Foot Tapper: Sounds in mono whereas its wide stereo in the earlier compilation album.

Track 19: Theme for Young lovers. Glitch at the start with double note and channels are switched.

Disc 1 is certainly flawed. The guys at EMI should have paid more attention to the quality.

Am disappointed with this compilation. EMI should recall and replace this double disc set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely "Golden" Greats., 16 Jun 2009
C. J. Brian "Chris" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
If you haven't already heard any of The Shadows' material and you want an overview, then this is for you. If, like me, you have some stuff on vinyl from the early years, plus material from the latter part of their catalogue, then this is for you. Particularly if you want to try to learn to play some of it and need constant repetition of the track(s) without any fear of wearing out/ damaging the vinyl.

What is the stuff like? Well, for many oldies, like me, this is where it all began. You have lead, rhythm and bass guitars, drums, and mostly instrumental "tunes", all played by consummate musicians, inspiring us to want to play guitar. And it all still works, if you ask me. It inspired me back in the very early 1960s, when I was a pre-teenager, listening to the BBC Light Programme, and you were lucky to get any music that was worth listening to, and delights me now. Have a listen, budding guitarists of this generation, too. Try to play it as well as they did. I dare you...

5.0 out of 5 stars All the classic instrumentals, 7 Feb 2004
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 50 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
In the early sixties, instrumental hits were a regular feature of the pop charts in Britain and America. There were several great instrumental artists around. America had Duane Eddy, Floyd Cramer, B Bumble and the Stingers and the Ventures, to name a few. Britain had the Shadows and the Tornados. While the Tornados were very successful at the time, most notably with Telstar, the Shadows remained successful for the rest of the century.
The Shadows were also Cliff Richard's backing band and played on most of his hits in the fifties and sixties. Like Cliff, they made little impact in America but any Americans who enjoy the Ventures and Duane Eddy ought to give the Shadows a listen.
This compilation has all their big UK instrumental hits of the sixties and seventies including Apache, Man of mystery, FBI, Wonderful land, Dance on, Foot tapper and Don't cry for me Argentina. They also experimenting by doing a few vocal tracks and some of those are included here, among them being Mary Anne (a UK top ten hit), Don't make my blue, I met a girl, Dreams I dream and Let me be the one (their 1975 Eurovision song – like so many other Brits, they came second). The vocal tracks are good but it is their instrumental skills on which their reputation is built.
Most of their big hits came early in their career. In the eighties and nineties, they gave up worrying about hits and contented themselves with making albums of cover versions. A few covers selected from these albums round off this excellent collection. Among them is Albatross, an early Fleetwood Mac tune that always sounded very like a Shadows track, so it was an obvious tune for them to cover.
The Shadows, like most pop groups, has had its share of line-up changes. Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch , two of the original members, remained with the group throughout. The other two original members, Jet Harris and Tony Meehan, left early on, They teamed up as a duo and had some UK hits of their own including Diamonds. Of the other members that came and went, John Farrar is perhaps the most famous. He joined in 1970 but eventually had to leave because of other commitments – he became producer and songwriter for Olivia Newton John.
If you enjoy guitar instrumental music of the sixties, you'll love the Shadows. This compilation contains all the essentials, though a lot of Shadows music is available on CD for those who wish to explore further.

3.0 out of 5 stars A stringless "Wonderful Land" - Shurely Shome Mishtake?, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: 50 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
This is OK because it's the Shads, but as remarked elsewhere, has been put through the bland-o-matic cleanup machine, leaving flat, thin, stuff to wash over our ears. Worse, there's a strange version of "Wonderful Land" from which the strings have been surgically removed, leaving a very dull piece of Shadowcraft. Given all the excitement about the strings at the time of the single's first release, this is ludicrous, and I can only imagine that a work-experience kid cleared that for release.

I once got a cheap market-stall cassette of a Cliff and the shads compilation (Italian issue I think) which featured a marvellous version of "the Young Ones" from which the annoyingly twee and intrusive strings had been excised. That was brilliant. This "Wonderful Land" isn't. So ... good because it's the shads. Bad because EMI don't know how to handle their back-catalogue. A five star band in a one-star reissue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stratocaster Heaven, 26 Jan 2005
F. Wood "Kyle The Monkey" (washington, Tyne-Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
Forget the cover versions at the end of disc 2.The Shadows hits that fill the other disc and a half are the sounds that inspired a generation of guitar freaks.Worth buying for Wonderful Land alone,which is presented here in the original,undubbed, version before Norrie Paramor added the strings which grace the 45 rpm release.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the Favourites on one CD!, 16 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: 50 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
This CD contains some of the best instrumental rock of its decade. 50 of the best tracks from The Shadows and all on one CD.If you are a Shadows Fan or you just like the sound of the guitar then this is an ultimate buy.This CD is Shadows at their best with all the favourites like Apache.Top Album Which Deserves the five star treatment.

5.0 out of 5 stars brings back memories, 21 April 2012
This review is from: The Shadows: 50 Golden Greats (MP3 Download)
a quick and easy buying experience and a quick download, good price too.
the music tracks are well known and get your feet tapping away to some very memoriable tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A SUPER CD, 21 April 2012
J. McEvilly "justme" (LONDON UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
I bought this because I love The Shadows music and I now have this on my mobile to take with me when ever I go out especially on Holiday when I am not able to listen to the rest of my music although I do have a lot on my phone. I never get tired of listening to nice music.

I was more than happy to buy this from AMAZON they are the Best.

The Shadows: 50 Golden Greats