5.0 out of 5 stars Head and shoulders above the rest.
Pure class. This album will always stand up there with the greats. The rhymes of lauryn flow smoothly across raw beats. Stand out track without a doubt has to be the no woman no cry cover, it is really phenomenal, can't knock a legend like marley but it is better than the original. Minor fault may be the amount of fu gee la tracks. But this is still truly a masterpiece.
Published on 4 Jun 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit overrated.
Will probably get a lot of hate for this, but The Score is not that interesting an album. I like it and all, but I'd honestly rather listen to T.I. and Lil Wayne than this.
Before all the hate, just want to point out, that this is MY opinion, and I'm more into Southern Hip Hop.
Published 10 months ago by Andreas

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 6 Oct 2011
J. Adams (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Score (Audio CD)
Quite simply one of the best Hip Hop albums ever.

If you like Hip Hop then you should have this album already, if you don't, get it right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars How it Should Be, 28 Jun 2011
J. Godding - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Score (Audio CD)
For many years I've been meaning to get this album and have no idea why I didn't sooner!

It's back from an era when hip hop still had meaning and soul, and it's all the better for it. I would imagine most of the people here will have been lured in by the best known and popular singles from the album - and popular for good reason! But if you like those, chances are you will equally enjoy the rest of the album, as it follows much the same vein, though with perhaps less mainstream appeal.

Wyclef Jean, Pras Michel and Lauryn Hill perfectly compliment one another, and to this day I don't personally think I've heard a female rap artist who's style I like more than Lauryn Hill. It's so refreshing to hear a female voice in a mostly male dominated genre, especially these days when all you seem to hear about in rap songs are 'bitches', which continually makes me despair at how much of the genre seemed to degenerate so quickly. And it perfectly off-sets the easily recognisable tones of Wyclef and Pras Michel.

So there we are. If you've heard any of the songs and liked them, I would strongly suggest you give the album a try, and if you haven't, well what are you waiting for? You've got a whole new genre to open up to!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what Hip Hop is about, 5 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Score (Audio CD)
The Fugees created a genius album. The Score, for me is what Hip Hop music should be about. The lyrics are clever, the beats are amazing, and I look at so called Hip Hop nowadays and it dosent even come close to this. Amazing album. Brings back memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars deffo one for the old school folder, still fresh ..., 16 July 2014
This review is from: The Score (MP3 Download)
deffo one for the old school folder, still fresh in 2014 as it was in the mid nineties!

took me way back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece., 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Score (Audio CD)
I'm very happy with my purchase. Fast delivery, good service, thanks you.

1.0 out of 5 stars The arrival of karaoke hip-hop, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Score (Audio CD)
I am probably going to get SO much abuse for this review. I simply and plainly do not get the fuss about The Fugees. I mean, more power to them for making a fat pile of cash out of half a dozen actually pretty straight cover versions, and some very weak tracks to link it all together. This, to me, was the point where hip-hop went cartoon, but because the media at time told the public they were 'rad', the public swallowed it. Doing a pretty straight re-recording of No Woman No Cry and adding a few yo-yeah-yo's on, genius doth not make. Their cover of Killing Me Softly only just tops Hugh Grants version in About A Boy.
It only got worse, with Wyclef being a guest singer with Brian Harvey or Beenie Man, singer meaning saying 'Yo' twice and doing the universal hip-hop arm sign. Lauren Hill actually clawed back some credibility with her gorgeous voice, with The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill.. but sorry folks, The Score? 0-0. Utter tosh. An insult to black music, and probably one of the key albums that sent it hurtling toward the watered-down R&B mush it has become.

Gimme some truth, gimme the The Very Best Of The Last Poets, gimme Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, gimme Gil Scott Heron Winter In America (PLEASE, listen to H2Ogate Blues), good grief even give me Luniz I got 5 on it. Well ok, maybe not Luniz.

Ok folks, bring on your vitriol. But remember, its just my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great singles, the album tracks? Hmmmm...., 11 May 2007
Simon Chiplin "scchipli" (Horsham, West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Score (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, the singles from this are fantastic (Killing me softly, Ready or not, etc), so buying it on the strength of those seemed like a bit of a no-brainer. How wrong I was. Apart from The Mask, the rest of the tracks are pretty poor and the talky bits between them only suceed in annoying the listener.

I'm all for a bit of swearing when it's appropriate, but it just seemed to be for the sake of it. As for the track Mista Mista, couldn't quite figure out if it was serious or not. I'll leave that decision to someone else. I paid 1p for the CD second hand, so I guess it was worth it for the singles!

5.0 out of 5 stars Too many MCs not enough mics, 19 Mar 2002
This review is from: The Score (Audio CD)
I can not fault this album, every track is a piece of lyrical genius - it's just a pity there aren't more like it! The unique rhymes, dirty beats and powerful samples (from Irish folk to 50s doo-wap) are held together deliciously by Lauryn Hill's melted chocolate voice. It's not often I give one album as much credit as this one, it's definitely one of, if not the greatest record of the late 1990s.
Best songs:Zealots, How Many Mics and Fu-gee-la
Worst songs (if I had to pick one!):Mista Mista
Final word:If you haven't heard this album yet, do so. It might just save your soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Sep 2014
Love this album

3.0 out of 5 stars Handful of great tracks, but overall average, 31 July 2006
P. Roddis "IceWars" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Score (Audio CD)
I originally purchased this CD off the back of songs such as "Fu-Gee-La" and "Ready or Not" which I had heard many times on the radio and enjoyed. Sadly, it is clear why these songs received the airplay the others did not.

While not particular bad, most of the album is fairly average with a few high points such as the two tracks mentioned above.

The best part of this album is the 2nd CD which is full of remixes and live versions of tracks from the first CD including a live recording of "Killing Me Softly" from Brixton Academy and "No Woman, No Cry" with Steve Marley.

The most annoying part of the album for me is the meaningless talk that takes over at the end of many tracks, which I find irritating enough to make me skip to the next track.

On the whole this is not a bad album, but not great either.

The Score
The Score by Fugees (Refugee Camp)
Buy MP3 Album£6.99