Breakaway
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£6.49

on 8 October 2006
Ok, here's a perspective from a 42 year old man, now I have bought a lot of music,
everything from Blondie and Duran Duran to Placebo and Metallica, so you can see I have a fairly eclectic "if it's good then I like it" attitude towards music.

but then once in a while something amazing happens, along comes a new artist, seemingly out of the blue, that stops you in your tracks, I happened to stumble across "behind these hazel eyes' on some saturday morning kids show, "H0ly Cr@p what was that!"

I was instantly hooked, bought Breakaway that same day, what an amazing experience listening to that album for the first time ;)

I could list why I love this song or that song individually but that has been done here many times before,
let me just say in simple terms, this is the best album I own, out of several hundred!

Kelly Clarkson is not only naturally talented, but you can hear the dedication, the passion and the love for her craft as she wrings every ounce of emotion out of this outstanding album,

if you love good music of any genre, then there's a good chance you would love this too,
on 23 August 2006
I think I will just start by saying that this album deserves way more than 5 stars!

This album is quite simply amazing and is one of the best albums this millenium. I originally bought it purely for the singles that had been released of it such as 'Since U Been Gone' and 'Behind These Hazel Eyes' and initially did not bother to listen to it all the way through. Then I heard Kelly's new single at the time which was 'Because of You' and I realised that I should probably listen to the whole album and I'm so glad I did. Kelly's voice is outstanding and unlike her first album which I have since listened to and is rather disappointing, this album allows Kelly to be herself - and herself is clearly not a bubble-gum pop princess. It seems as though Kelly just did what she was told on her first album following her American Idol win, and then this album she seems to have made it clear that that was not the direction she wants to go in. There are some really rocky undertones, but these really suit Kelly's voice as it is so powerful and her range is amazing.

Track 1 - "Breakaway" - Quite a gentle start to the album, quite a ballad style, but the underlying rock influences are there which sets up the album nicely. Its a song about taking that first step in to something unknown and if that means taking you away from family and loved ones, it does not mean that you stop caring about them.

Track 2 - "Since U Been Gone" - Everyone knows this one - very rocky and a bit of a shocker for Kelly's fans when it was first released as she sheds her 'poppy' image. The songs about breaking up with someone and it turning out to be the best thing that could have happened.

Track 3 - "Behind These Hazel Eyes" - Again another rocky one that was written by Avril Lavigne. Rocky but a bit slower than the track before. It's about letting someone in to your life only for them to let you down but not wanting to show them that they have hurt you.

Track 4 - "Because of You" - My favourite Kelly Clarkson song since the first time I heard it. Kelly slows the pace right down here with this ballard, but even this is not sweet pop music with the underlying tone of the album still present in the melody. This is about being hurt by someone and this ultimately making you hold something back in the way you bond with people in the future and always being fearful of being hurt again. A really beautiful song with lots of emotion and a wicked high note!

Track 5 - "Gone" - Another favourite of mine as the pace is quickened and the rocky edge comes right back to the forefront again. Wicked guitar rifts and a great beat. Its basically someone messing up in a relationship and the other person having enough and is 'gone'!

Track 6 - "Addicted" - A slower and sexy song but with a really rocking chorus. Lots of strings and atmosphere. Its about someone really getting under your skin and you don't seems to be able to function without them.

Track 7 - "Where is Your Heart" - Another ballad but this time it invloves more strings than rock. Its about someone sending out mixed signals and you not knowing where you stand.

Track 8 - "Walk Away" - The tempo goes back up again here - a really cool song and the closest you'll get to hearing Kelly rap as the melody for the verses is very basic and is almost spoken. Its about someone not treating the other person right and if thats how they feel they should just 'walk away'!

Track 9 - "You Found Me" - If I had to pick my least favourite song on the album, this would be it. Slowing it down to an atmospheric ballad, it's good, but not as good as the other tracks. Its about someone who thinks they are going to end up alone when someone comes along and saves them.

Track 10 - "I Hate Myself for Losing You" - Another of my favourites, again quite rocky in the chorus with a realy cool ending. Its about not realising what you have until it's gone.

Track 11 - "Hear Me" - Brilliant song - its a ballad but its not - really atmospheric and echoey with quite a rocky chorus. Its about someone who thought they were happy being by themselves but realises that they are lonely and crying out for someone.

Track 12 - "Beautiful Disaster" - This is an amazing version of this song as it is just Kelly and a piano - fantastic, heartfelt arrangement that is sung brilliantly and blows the original from Kelly's first album out of the water. Its about a relationship with someone that could either turn out perfectly or as a 'beautiful disaster'

Track 13 - "Miss Independant" - Another one that everyone knows, taken from Kelly's first album.

Track 14 - "Low" - Taken from Kelly's first album.

So there you have it! Fab songs, fab voice and a fab album for singing along to in the car! The only thing I will say is just because you have Kelly's first album, does not automatically mean that you will love this one - though you'd be crazy not to! - as it is so different to her first. However, I will say to anyone to give a go and go with the changes that Kelly has made as they are definitely for the better! I now cannot wait for her next album!

Give this ago, see what all the hype is about, and I promise that you will not be disappointed - total bargain at £6.99!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Music snobs tend to deride anything connected with "American Idol", but Clarkson is one Idol winner that may prove them all wrong, and if this CD is an indication, she will rise above the apparently restrictive contracts and what is known as "cheesy aura" of the show; all things considered, this CD is a fine effort, and I thoroughly enjoyed the many times I listened to this album in order to give it a fair review, and to its credit, it did not stale, but became better with each hearing.
Kelly has a pleasing smokiness to her voice, and a very appealing vibrato; the overall quality of the material is good, and Kelly co-wrote 6 of the 12 tracks (# 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 11). "Addicted" is a favorite, with its slight echo of the Bond film song "The World is Not Enough" by Garbage, and "Beautiful Disaster", appreciated for the simplicity of its solo piano accompaniment.
Produced by Clive Davis, my preference would be for less; Kelly's voice doesn't need the distraction of over-production like many of her contemporaries do, and she would shine more with pared down arrangements, as the live concert track of "Beautiful Disaster" proves.
This CD is a solid performance from a singer that I believe will grow and be with us for many years to come, with an expanding audience and credibility, even among the music snobs. The sound is excellent and total playing time is 44'47.
on 22 December 2005
I wanted to hate Kelly Clarkson. My view was that anyone who sang a song with text speak in the title (Since U been gone) was another mindless studio creation to make radio-friendly pop for 12 year olds who want to be mosh but don't like rock. On top of that she was only the product of an American reality music show, and anything from those kind of things is destined to be terrible.
But now, I can admit, I was wrong. No, Miss Clarkson is not an Avril-clone with less talent and more executives writing for her. I was forced to listen to this album by friends (who I made fun of for listening to this album in the first place) and I absolutely loved it. For a girl who prefers her bands unknown and heartfelt, this slab of unpretentious sun-soaked pop tunes made me smile, and cry. I related to the (not very good, but alright) lyrics, I felt myself sigh when I sang along "because of you.." (not out loud, of course), and listening to Clarksons flawless, strong voice singing out about her 'hazel eyes' really was genuinely enjoyable.
Ignore the avril comparisons, this is good music. It's not for everyone, I admit, but it's good. And if you like good music (albeit, not brilliant, not ground-breaking) then give it a chance. You might find yourself pleasently surprised.
on 5 June 2006
What with her being a music reality tv show winner I never paid any attention to Kelly Clarkson, mainly because I know how it works. They win and have 11-12 songs shoved infront of them to record and the end result, in this case, was Thankful. Another drop in the growing cesspit that is reality show music.

However for her second album Kelly threw away her American Idol label and became an artist. Chucking out great song after great song, 'Since U Been Gone' and 'Behind These Hazel Eyes'.

The first song, 'Breakaway', made me wary at first that maybe I'd misjudged how good this album would be as it seemed quite reminiscent of Thankful but all my doubts were washed away after listening to half of the album.

'Because of You', one of the greatest ballads I have heard in a long time, made me think, "Woah, this girl can sing." The emotion portrayed in her voice made it obvious that this song meant something to her as do many others on this album, 'Addicted', 'Where is Your Heart' and 'Hear Me'.

This style clearly suits Kelly and I really hope she sticks with it and doesn't go back to the wishy-washy, teeny-bopper, poor-excuse-for music on Thankful. As long as she keeps rockin' I'll keep listening!
on 22 February 2006
absolutely amazing cd! I went to see Kely live in concert 2 days ago and she was fab!
1. Breakaway - Described as Kelly's autobiography in song, soft catchy beat 9/10
2. Since U Been Gone - fab song! full marks! 10/10
3. Behind These Hazel Eyes - Great, powerful song 9/10
4. Because Of You - Kelly told us at the concert that she wrote this song when she was 16 about her parent divorce. Moving and powerful stuff 9/10
5. Gone - One of the best on the album! sticks in your head and easy to sing along too! 10/10
6. Addicted - Absolutely amazing! You can really hear Kelly's vocal talent in this amazing power ballad 10/10
7. Where Is You Heart - Good song, but not as catchy and upbeat as some of the others 7/10
8. Walk Away - the newly announced 5th single off the album, fast cathcy tune 9/10
9. You Found Me - Another of my favs, such a great song to sing along too 10/10
10. I Hate Myself For Losing You - Good song but nothing that special 8/10
11. Hear Me - Another of my fav's! Like Addicted, you can really hear Kelly's amazing voice in this song! 10/10
12. Beautiful Disaster (Live) - The live version of Beautiful Disaster from her 1st album Thankful, I personally prefer this versionto the original 9/10
13. Miss Independent - Great song, off her 1st album cathcy good to sing and dance to 10/10
14. Low - Also off her 1st album powerful, meaningful ballad 9/10
All in all I'd give the album a definite and well deserved 10/10
on 28 April 2006
Heaven help me, why do I like this album? Ordinarily I'm a metalhead, I listen to Metallica, In Flames, Trivium and the like. But I like Kelly Clarkson. I'm disturbing myself. Tracks like 'Since U Been Gone' are sung with power behind them, and there is remarkable emotion injected into 'Behind These Hazel Eyes'. Go on rockers. Admit it. You love it really.
on 1 January 2007
I was blown away by this album, so much so that it has caused a landslide obsession with Kelly Clarkson on my part.

Breakaway does exactly what it says on the case. Symbolising her tearing away from the American Idol image "Thankful" created and embracing a whole different rock orientated sound which works profoundly well with Clarkson, performing as though she has done it for years in her bedroom mirror.

Amazing and unmissable, don't let your preconceptions take over. It may be Kelly Clarkson, but Kelly Clarkson is fantastic.
on 1 November 2006
Well for starters, i'm a rock girl, so I wasn't expecting to like this album at all, but every single i've heard, i've really liked. Listening to the album is no dissapointment - nearly every song is brilliant, I could rate Kelly amongst my other favourite singers such as Sarah McLachlan and Aimee Mann. It's suprisingly mature songwriting, I was expecting vacuous pop music but it's emotional, passionate music that you can (try) and sing along to.

Definately going to be stuck in my cd player for a while, great album from Kelly Clarkson, not what I expected from a Pop Idol winner!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I must say i hadn't really listened to Kelly before hearing Since U been Gone on the Hits, but boy was i wrong to have written her off at the start. This album is one of the best i have ever owned and let me tell you some of the notes she hits are spinechilling! 'Behind these hazel eyes' and 'Since U Been Gone' are definitely my favourites but there is not 1 poor song on this album. I was delighted that she added 'Miss Independent' and 'Low' to the British release because they really do back up this incredible transformation from Cheesey Idol singing that ballad 'Before your love' to a supreme superstar who will more than easily conquer the British charts. An all time favourite, always will be- 10/10!!! I love Kelly!