Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 27 May 2005
I happened to catch Hooverphonic live in Boston, on their tour with BT. I didn't know this band at all & I had just only heard of them, so I must say they had a great live show, and a great performance! The songs on this CD are all kinda experimental and yet, inviting and mysterious which draw me to them. "Autoharp" starts off nicely with Geike Arnaert, the main singer talking softly but it ends with Geike raising her voice to a magnificent chant that someone would only expect to come out from someone from the middle east. It's by far the best moment of the CD. "Mad About You" is one of those songs that just stick in your head and you wanna sing over and over, and of course I don't blame people comparing them to Portishead from this song, because they sound very similar to that band. "Waves" is again what the song title says, a nice wave of music and singing that resembles a ride outside in a clear night sky filled with stars, being carefree. "Jackie Cane" was wonderful when they performed it live. It is a rock song and the guitars are great!"Everytime We Live Together We Die A Bit More" is another song I always get stuck in my head mostly from the way Geike sings "everybody wants one, everybody's got one, everybody everybody wants to be loved", it sounds again very similar to Portishead."Pink Fluffy Dinosaurs" is also a gem!!! I adore the cute music on the background, and I find the lyrics very interesting (very tripping indeed)."Renaissance Affair" on the other hand leaves me totally uninterested, but the rest of the songs are nice too. This album gets spooky at times (due to the synthesizers) and at times very playfull, anyone trying to make sense of what Hooverphonic are thinking, won't be able to find the end of it. It's just a nice album to be enjoyed, and played often at your CD players.
on 13 September 2000
I purchased this album on the strength of Hooverphonic's previous release "Blue Wonder Powder Magic" which was a favourite in my collection. I was scared that this sequel would be disappointing given the fact that most artists in this genre are selling out! I was indeed very wrong...this album is a combination of harmonious, trippy and chilling out music. Hooverphonic have really managed to bring out their best with this...my favourite tracks are Mad About You, Waves, and Jackie Cane...which are quite diverse in style yet portray the same mood. I strongly recommend this CD to anybody who enjoys listening to Morcheeba, Lamb and Mono. A sure five star
on 14 May 2001
Heard this while staying with friends in the US, and within a couple of weeks everyone we knew had bought a copy. Somewhere between Portishead, Groove Armada and maybe Dubstar, with memorable melodies and great production value, it seems to appeal to everyone. Hugely likeable on the first listen, this is the first time in a long while that I have enjoyed a whole CD rather than only a few signature tracks. You might like this. Which means you'll have to deal with the fact that these guys are Belgian...
on 14 October 2009
With "The Magnificent Tree" Hooverphonic explore the spectrum of the trip hop genre. There are some sultry, soothing song such as the spectacular "Autoharp". It and other such tracks are utterly enchanting, and it is impossible not to be drawn into the zen state of mind they induce. Geike Arnaert's vocals are heavenly- utterly transporting. She acts as the perfect guide through the stories constructed by the rich variety of instruments. Other tracks such as "Vinegar & Salt" and "Mad About You" are playfully seductive, commanding the attention of the listener expertly. This album is a magnificent work of art and should be featured in the music collection of any fan of Felt Mountain era Goldfrapp or Dummy era Portishead. It is intricate, beautiful, relaxing and contains an inspiring level of depth.
on 2 March 2012
I discovered Hooverphonic by just looking up good trip-hop bands. And I listened to "Mad About You", after only just one listen I was amazed. Because that song was excellent and I just wanted more. Then I downloaded the whole album, I don't regret it. "The Magnificent Tree" is an amazing album, and songs' quality and the accordance between music and lyrics just made me love this album. Of course, like almost every album it has those mediocre songs, but the majority is quality trip-hop. The singer's vocal is mesmerizing. My favorites: The Magnificent Tree, Waves, Mad About You.
on 22 December 2011
I was introduced to Hooverphonic a few years ago, and had a copy which finally gave up the ghost after being played in the car too much. So I had to buy a kosher copy - and so glad I did. Every track works, and the arrangement is superb. If you don't know Hooverphonic, take a punt and try this album.
on 19 January 2010
Along with The Presidents of the LSD Golf Club, The Magnificent Tree is sublime stuff. Waves, Jackie Cane and Autoharp are standout tracks. It's a damned shame we're not likely to hear anything else from this talented band.
on 28 February 2013
interesting, nice, not daily music you hear on radio
bought it for "Mad about you"
inspiring, bring you out of reality
on 23 October 2013
i like it , a few tracks are really great , the others a bit bland for my taste. bit middle of the road for me
on 13 July 2004
If you happen across Hooverphonic (like I did) and feel like listening to one of their albums MAKE DAMN SURE IT'S THIS ONE.