‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Top draw, 8 Mar 2006
David Johnson "El Burrito" (Buenos Aires) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
This great record sits comfortably in between George Best and Seamonsters. It´s notable for the fast pace and the cruching guitars, right from the longing in David Gedge´s voice as he sings"brassneck." I like the melodic guitar riff on,"crushed," a feature of The Wedding Present´s music. "No," is a typically honest Gedge composition, all about longing and loss. It´s probably the slowest song on the record.
"Kennedy," sprawls on and on, jangling along busily. My favourite track on the album is probably,"Bewtiched," this is something of a benchmark for the work on Seamonsters, the lyrics are a little more brooding and I love the sound of the rhythm section on this. "Take me," is the most optimistic song on the record, it fizzes along uncontrolably.
The new re-vamped version is great. All the bonus tracks are worth their salt. The sleeve notes are interesting and help put the record in the context of the music scene at the time of it´s release.
This record shows how The Wedding Present developed a heavier, loudy style. Somehow they never lose their terrific tunefulness. Class

5.0 out of 5 stars Tongue in Cheek masterpeice, 14 Nov 2003
Toby le Rhone (StaffordshireUK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
A true great in the UK alt rock scene, somehow forgotten by history, a wonderful punk album from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Weddoes album ever - in my all-time top 5!, 18 Nov 2003
P. S. REVELL "midland_don" (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
Put quite simply, this is a brilliant album! It's the best that the Wedding Present ever produced (although the Hit Parade came close) and it still rates as one of my favourite albums of all time.
The pace is relentless and tracks like 'Crushed' and 'Granadaland' blister along at breakneck speed. The chiming/thrashing/rasping guitars and the simple yet completely effective bass lines make this album. Put that with Dave Gedge's lovesick lyrics and vocals and you have a winner from beginning to end.
If you've ever liked the Weddoes (Brassneck and Kennedy on here were also damn fine singles) buy don't own this album, you should!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just astonishing, 27 July 2007
R. Thompson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
I have been buying music for over 30 years, have owned this album for nearly 20 and nothing comes close to maintaining the longevity of affection I have for this album.

For me it sets the benchmark for blokes with guitars, amps that go all the way up to 11 and a story to tell.

Buy it, play it. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars beauty and the beast, 6 Aug 2001
steven garside (manchester, greater manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
I have just bought this album which was very dear to me in my university fresher year when it was first released. On hearing it for the first time in ages I cannot believe I waited so long to replace the copy that was stolen away by a girl friend so many years ago. Quite simply it is one of the most underated albums in living memory.
If your'e not familiar with the sublime charm of 'the Weddo's', wait no more to aquaint yourself. Imagine the Smiths on speed set to the sound of screaming buzzsaws and you might get some way to describing this unique album. Dave Gedge is a fabulous lyricist - as laconic, melancholic and witty as Morrisey but with a direct, conversational approach that renders a real beauty to the band's immense guitar sound. If you can, get the remastered version, which has intelligent liner notes on the sheer genius of the Wedding Present and even more extra tracks. Also, if your'e a newcomer check out 'George Best' for the earlier, less beefed-up Wedding Present. Here Gedge's bitter-sweet lyrics are set to a more melodic, whirring indie-guitar pop sound that was, and is, perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant band at their absolute best, 25 Oct 2001
Pete "Pete" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
The original album (i.e. tracks 1-10 on this one) remains a personal all-time no. 1 (even though my wife thinks it sounds like a badly-tuned modem), with blistering volleys of rich sounds, matchless lyrics and some tuneful quieter moments.
The additional tracks include some great tracks too, although the overall effect may be quite hard work for a first-time listener. Program your CD to play the first 10, turn it up loud, stick with it, and you will be richly rewarded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glorious noise, 17 Aug 2004
Lozarithm (Wilts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
Bizarro was the Weddoes' second proper album (after George Best, they had released Tommy, a compilation of singles and session tracks, and the unlikely Ukrainski Vistupi V Johna Peela, containing two John Peel sessions of acoustic Ukrainian folk tunes). It included the single Kennedy (number 2 in the John Peel Festive 50 that year, one of five songs from the album to be voted in) and the original version of Brassneck, which was to be remade as a single recorded for them by Steve Albini. Each of Wedding Present's albums has a distinct identity although Bizarro retains the blistering guitar of George Best, and David Gedge's lyrics continued to mine the dark pits of romantic and sexual hell and dark despair. The longest track, Take Me!, ends in an extended instrumental section but there is no soloing, just the intense, repeated accompaniment, expressing all the emotion and pent up frustration in noise to trance-like effect. Glorious

5.0 out of 5 stars Their Best Ever..., 27 May 2007
N. A. Oakshott "Neil" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
I actually bought this album on cassette when it first came out, having heard the band on (I think) a John Peel show. Many years have passed, but still the CD is in my car and the album downloaded onto my iPod for my many business trips abroad.

I can't really put my finger on what it is about this album that makes me want to keep playing it but many, many albums have come and gone since I originally bought this one, some of which I thought I would never tire of, and yet Bizarro is still top of the pile.

From the opening intro' of "Brassneck", through the haunting lyrics of "What Have I Said Now?" to the near seven-minute guitar-led instrumental of "Take Me", every track seems to be so strong and nothing carries that over-produced sound so common nowadays. In saying that my favourite track is "Unfaithful", one of the extras on this version of the album, which carries some of Dave Gedges trademark cutting lyrics so common throughout Wedding Present tunes.

Ok, so Martin Stephenson and the Daintee's "Boat to Bolivia" comes close, but for me Bizarro is THE album I want to grow old with and as I happily enter middle-age it is still hitting the spot. My kids love it, I love it and my wife even likes a couple of tracks - proof positive if it is ever needed.

I tell you, I'll be dancing around the residential home to this in twenty-odd years time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Landmark album that needs more recognition!, 30 Nov 2013
J. Casey (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
An absolute gem of a record, if it had been released a year or so earlier it would have been huge; but the success of the Happy Mondays and Stone Roses left this album below the radar of too many music fans and radio stations.
I think the best way to describe the sound of this album is a collision of the music of Husker Du and the lyrical poetry of heartbreak of Morrissey. Go get it, then buy all their other records too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite all-time record, 21 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bizarro (Audio CD)
What is it about this one? Simple, noisy songs with a mesmerising, driving, irresistible energy.
New songs on the import version slightly take away from the focus; I like the original version because it leaves you with no choice but to put the first side on again. Still, genius.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›