5.0 out of 5 stars great gadget
excellent idea for holidays as it helps to know what strength sun tan lotion to use.
simple to use and it looks great
Published on 16 Feb 2010 by Kianne

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally useless device which fails after a short period
I bought this product to help me judge UV levels on a holiday on Crete: the island can have hazy days, and there is usually a breeze, which when coupled together can disguise how strong the sun can be, even late in the afternoon. And with two small children, I wanted to be sure that I wasn't being too careless with the sun protection.

However, the biggest...
Published on 3 Sep 2010 by Jo the bulb

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally useless device which fails after a short period, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: UV Measuring Monkey Device (Wireless Phone Accessory)

However, the biggest drawback with the product is that it doesn't work. After a few hours of exposure to Cretan sun, it simply stopped changing colour altogether, and stayed white. I hadn't left it in the sun for hours or got it too hot, but it simply just stopped changing colour around 48 hours into the holiday. Which meant it became totally useless, and worse still, it stayed white, suggesting the sun was safer than it was.

I can't recommend this product at all. I am giving it one star as for one short period it did work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 30 May 2010
This review is from: UV Measuring Monkey Device (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Nice idea, but in reality the spot just turns a dirty purple that doesn't resemble any of the colours around the outside. Plus it's cheap and nasty. Mine has an obvious bubble of glue between the UV disc and the plastic base.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 10 Sep 2010
G. Ward "Sotto Voce" (You are here ->) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: UV Measuring Monkey Device (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Having bought a 'Power Monkey' solar charging device, I was very impressed by the simplicity and quality of the products I'd picked up thus far. This small UV Indicator was recommended as an item I might have interest in, so I gave in and bought it; more out of the very low price, than considering exactly what usage I'd get from it.

The item's simple enough (what can go wrong with zero moving parts?), with an 'indicator' material mounted on a small plastic disc, and with a small loop that should allow it to be attached (and therefore not lost) easily.

Taking it out of the packaging was about the most impressive moment, as trying to get any sort of reaction from the disc didn't appear to make any difference, even when I has this on the dashboard of my car, in brilliantly sunny summer weather (it does happen occassionally!), there was only the very faintest of change in the disc.

From that point, I basically gave up on the idea of it being of any particular use; for it to slide from car to a drawer, then a drawer to the bin.

For the money, it wasn't even worth writting a letter and asking for a refund. Simply best avoided.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit useless, 8 Aug 2012
Bearman (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: UV Measuring Monkey Device (Wireless Phone Accessory)
OK it was cheap so I was not expecting much............but I still had issues. Firstly the colour change is greatest at the centre and non-existant at the edges of the white circle. This makes it impossible to work out what the UV level is. Secondly, it only works for a couple of days. I bought it with the idea of monitoring when I needed sun protection. Fail! The product description says that it can be used to let you know when to charge your solar powered devices - well it will tell you when the sun is shining (once) and that's about it - Fail!

5.0 out of 5 stars great gadget, 16 Feb 2010