5.0 out of 5 stars A combination of youth and experience bring enormous rewards, 13 Jun 2010
This is an immensely stimulating and enjoyable set of the Beethoven Piano Concertos . The combination of Barenboim and Klemperer in 1968 was inspired . The elderly and frail conductor bringing all his skill as a seasoned and serious Beethovenian with the New Philharmonia to create a real conversation with the young Barenboim .

There are lots of highlights - the slow movement of No2 , the finale of No4 and the opening of No1 all are marvels but most of all the wonderful performance of the Fifth Concerto . Barenboim's playing , fresh from his Beethoven sonata cycle - is dazzling , triumphant and almost unbearably moving by turns .

A fabulous bargain and likely to have you hooked on Beethoven for life if it is your first experience of his music.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the heart - from the heart, 3 Jun 2011
Per Arne Rudberg "P-A Rudberg" (Vallentuna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This recording is to me the ideal recording of this music. I'm totally convinced by Klemperers natural flow of the music and his clear reading. Here is nothing exaggarated or artificial.
And Barenboim leaves me almost speechless. How can such a young musician have that deep understanding of this music? There is a balance and a consequence in his playing that make me say: "Yes, this is how it should be!" And the sheer joy in his playing is unique.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album to Treasure, 6 May 2013
If I were to lose all my individual recordings of the Beethoven PCs, then this would be fine.
Excellent performances. Sound quality is good. You cannot expect modern overwhelming high-bit digital quality, but not necessary to enjoy well-balanced recordings. Barenboim's playing is exemplary, with faultless runs and Klemperor controls the speeds admirably - no sense of slowness in his tempi.
Most enjoyable all round.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Beethoven by the masters., 4 May 2013
True Beethoven by the masters of the art. Quality sound. The Choral Fantasia bonus makes this a possible first choice for anyone considering a box set purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beethoven: Piano concertos Nos 1-5/Choral Fantasia, 30 Dec 2012
Beethoven can do no wrong for me and this recording does him full justice. I am holding my breath most of the time. It gives me goose bumps. The delicate touch on the piano and synchronosity of the orchestra speaks of a depth of appreciation of Beethoven's composition which could rarely be surpassed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement of Records, 15 Mar 2014
I like the way Daniel Barenboim plays, the 3rd is my favourite.I brought these to replace my records, and am very satisfiewith the cd's

5.0 out of 5 stars Beethoven piano concertoes, 23 Feb 2014
This must one of the best version of these concertoes on disc. I originally had them on vinyl and then I was impressed by the partnership between Klemperer and Barenboim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trusty EMI Classics, 12 Dec 2013
This was an excellent value purchase and my trust in the EMI Classics was well placed. This is a hugely enjoyable interpretation of Beethoven's first 5 piano concertos - highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars OPA, 22 Jun 2012
I had the original LP s of this excellent performance with Daniel Barenboam at his best. I was a bit apprehensive when ordering the CD version. I must say that it was excellent without any loss of clarity during copying

ARRAY(0xa3948cc0)