Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£5.99

on 27 April 2008
My word, I love Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem. It's a funky little beast, awash with pulsating electronic beats and riddims and some of the exhilarating numbers make one want to dance a little (in the kitchen) and even whoop occasionally. It certainly is a marvellous long player. The closest comparisons I can contemplate are Power, Corruption and Lies by New Order for its electronic splendid splendour and Talking Heads' Remain in Light for the strutting and fascinating rhythmic resonance that permeates the whole effort. I salute this recording and effortlessly recommend it to all hepcats.
on 10 March 2007
I'm usually one for reading reviews rather than writing. I typically cast a cynical eye over most new releases ... which are mainly repetitive and degenerate reworkings of music from far back ... be it 80's 70's or 60's.

However, like most people reading this - you must have some appreciation of LCD Soundsystem. I could only *hope* that Sound of Silver would match the first album .... but I was wrong! It's better! The opener "Get Innocuous" ... kicks off sounding exactly like "losing my edge" ... but about 30 seconds in starts to lift and re-interpret Kraftwerk's "The Robots". I know I'm onto something good here! Nine tracks. No fillers. This just doesn't happen any more! Give James Murphy a medal. Album of the year ... I just can't see anyone topping this.
0Comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2007
I was so excited about this album after loving his first double album. I have to say however that after buying it, I do feel a bit disappointed. Yes, there is plenty on here to like, but there simply isn't the rawness of the songs like Yeah Yeah Yeah and Daft Punk. There's a definite Brian Eno sound to Sounds of Silver and an almost minimalist approach to some of the tracks so I do believe it deserves the four stars, but when compared with the first album, it's just not quite there.
on 8 July 2007
Ok, I don't claim to be an huge fan of LCD S. This CD was given to me and I have had it on heavy rotation in the car.
I enjoyed it so much, I bought the 1st album 2cd set.
For me, personally, I think that Sounds of Silver is far more accomplished and musical than it's predecessor
Older listeners, fans of Cabaret Voltaire might want to check outInnocuous and similarly there are some blinding tracks which remind me of A Certain Ratio around the Force era, those being Someone Great and Us v Them.
This album just bounds along, the afore mentioned tracks are all great and the whole Cd makes you feel that you wanna go clubbing.

There are hints of all sorts here even the last track, New York...Hello? Lou Reed in da house?

If you like ACR, Human League, Cabaret Voltaire, 23 Skidoo, buy the upgraded, fresher, 2007 version, you won't be disappointed!
on 16 May 2007
Is this dance music? I'm not sure! It's certainly not dance music in a conventional sense. It makes you move. It makes you move big time. If you manage to sit still whilst Sound of Silver is on then you should check your pulse.

I love this album, it's already one of this year's best. Every track is brilliant and insanely different to anything else I've heard since the last LCD Soundsystem album. Therefore, my recommendation is to buy, buy it now. I'd try and give you a comparison, but nobody else out there is making such earthy and eclectic music as this. A big thumbs up from me!
on 24 July 2007
I found James Murphy's first album a turn-off: the studied cool, the nods and winks to oblique musical references, the 'tongue-in-cheek' lyrics. LCD Soundsystem has even been described as dance-punk nostalgia for music journalists. The in-jokery and general calculated irony seemed like cold artifice, dispassionate. The Sound of Silver is a more refined beast that finds Murphy honing his sound into something with greater permanence and sincerity, but still tops its predecessor for funk and inventiveness.

The opener, Get Innocuous, is a fantastic piece of electro house in the mold of Underworld, embellished with Bowie-esque vocal contortions. My favourite track on the album, it out-does labelmate The Juan MaClean at his own game. 'Time to Get Away' recalls the agitated white funk of Talking Heads while single 'North American Scum' is punk flavoured disco, all angular riffs and poke-in-the-eye lyrics. Both are sublimely catchy are give evidence to Murphy's growing stature as a songwriter. 'Someone Great' is hypnotic electro-pop not dissimilar to some Junior Boys or Hot Chip, but poignant in its evocation of lonely city life. 'All My Friends' builds on layered Philip Glass-style piano loops into something as epic and grandiose as classic U2 and as bittersweet as New Order. Here James Murphy sounds more impassioned and intense than ever before, roaring like Julian Casablancas over Peter Hook-esque basslines. The album's centrepiece, it finds Murphy full of regret: "you spend the first five years trying to get with the plan, and the next five years trying to be with your friends again."

'Us Vs Them' starts engagingly with its cowbells, reminiscent of the last album highlight 'Too Much Love', before outstaying its welcome at the seven minute mark. 'Watch the Tapes' opens with some abrasive in-studio sloganeering, before the call and response shouting subsides into a Velvet Underground-cum-motorik disco hyrbrid. The title track is a gorgeous drift of come-down electro in the mold of The Juan McClean's 'Dance with Me', while the Hot Chip-esque closer 'New York I Love You' is bitter-sweet poem to the city that affords Murphy a cathartic rocking-out at the climax. With more hooks and heart than its predecessor, the Sound of Silver is shaping up to be one of the best albums of the year.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2008
LCD Soundsystem return with an excellent follow up to their brilliant self titled debut album. There are no 'awkward second album' moments, no obligation to deliver something different, just straight up dancefloor stompers.

James Murphy always reminds me what it is about dance music that I fell in love with. When dance acts like Basshunter, Ultrabeat and Cascada test my faith, there is James to steer me in the right direction. His LCD outfit take thumping house beats, live percussion, guitars, acid basslines and synths to concoct some wonderful musical gems. They take influence from that New York sound of the 80's (Blondie etc.) and mix it with a little disco and house and out comes Get Innocuous! or North American Scum. The title track is one of my favourites, I love the production on it but the vocal grates a little. Overall, this is a superb album of punky, funky, disco house. Buy it, you'll love it!

Like this? Try: LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem or Fabriclive 36: James Murphy & Pat Mahoney
on 17 March 2008
brilliant piece of work. intelligent, inventive and musical. it is rare to find albums without some weak tracks but this is one of them. it does not rely on the headline tracks/singles to carry the album and for those of us who like to listen to whole albums it makes a refreshing change. Better than the first album.
A magic trip of a record that sources everyone from Bowie, Eno and Can to early Human League and Glam-era pop, such as The Sweet, and throws in some punk attitudes as well. It's poetic, prophetic as well as plugging itself into some of the most influential periods in pre and post punk music history.

This record sounds so European it is a surprise to hear the members of the band speak. Full on American accents all round but oh so aware of the in built attitudes and prejudices of western Europeans towards North Americans. To this end `North American Scum' is the catchiest, funniest and driest single of the year. One of those albums you play every week and there is always something else to find in it, no wonder it's on the top 10 listings of nearly every music journalist for 2007.
on 9 January 2014
I listen to a lot of music. Or at least I used to.

I first heard the first track on the album 'Get Innocuous' on the computer game Grand Theft Auto 4. I fell for it immediately and it enticed me to get the album solely off the back of that tune. Normally you get let down a little but the rest of the tracks but to be fair, I love them all. Love the album. Love the band. Shame I discovered them too late really.

Just get it.