5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless .... an awesome follow up
I'm usually one for reading reviews rather than writing. I typically cast a cynical eye over most new releases ... which are mainly repetitive and degenerate reworkings of music from far back ... be it 80's 70's or 60's.

Published on 10 Mar 2007 by Stephen Degnan

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good.
I get the impression it's cool to like LCD Sound System and that courtesy of being seen as a dance/indy/rock cross-over offering they supposedly something unique and wow. But stripping such hype away and just listening to what's on offer on a purely muscial basis....it's only average. There are a few catchy tunes but no way this become a classic album for the future...
Published on 4 Sep 2007 by Splossy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless .... an awesome follow up, 10 Mar 2007
Stephen Degnan (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Of Silver (Audio CD)

However, like most people reading this - you must have some appreciation of LCD Soundsystem. I could only *hope* that Sound of Silver would match the first album .... but I was wrong! It's better! The opener "Get Innocuous" ... kicks off sounding exactly like "losing my edge" ... but about 30 seconds in starts to lift and re-interpret Kraftwerk's "The Robots". I know I'm onto something good here! Nine tracks. No fillers. This just doesn't happen any more! Give James Murphy a medal. Album of the year ... I just can't see anyone topping this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid splendour, 27 April 2008
Mr. M. J. Cole "Coleser" (Gloucester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Of Silver (Audio CD)
My word, I love Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem. It's a funky little beast, awash with pulsating electronic beats and riddims and some of the exhilarating numbers make one want to dance a little (in the kitchen) and even whoop occasionally. It certainly is a marvellous long player. The closest comparisons I can contemplate are Power, Corruption and Lies by New Order for its electronic splendid splendour and Talking Heads' Remain in Light for the strutting and fascinating rhythmic resonance that permeates the whole effort. I salute this recording and effortlessly recommend it to all hepcats.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but based on the first album, I expected more, 12 April 2007
E. JONES (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Of Silver (Audio CD)
I was so excited about this album after loving his first double album. I have to say however that after buying it, I do feel a bit disappointed. Yes, there is plenty on here to like, but there simply isn't the rawness of the songs like Yeah Yeah Yeah and Daft Punk. There's a definite Brian Eno sound to Sounds of Silver and an almost minimalist approach to some of the tracks so I do believe it deserves the four stars, but when compared with the first album, it's just not quite there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Older Listeners..., 8 July 2007
C. Smith "cyberbare" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Of Silver (Audio CD)
Ok, I don't claim to be an huge fan of LCD S. This CD was given to me and I have had it on heavy rotation in the car.
I enjoyed it so much, I bought the 1st album 2cd set.
For me, personally, I think that Sounds of Silver is far more accomplished and musical than it's predecessor
Older listeners, fans of Cabaret Voltaire might want to check outInnocuous and similarly there are some blinding tracks which remind me of A Certain Ratio around the Force era, those being Someone Great and Us v Them.
This album just bounds along, the afore mentioned tracks are all great and the whole Cd makes you feel that you wanna go clubbing.

There are hints of all sorts here even the last track, New York...Hello? Lou Reed in da house?

If you like ACR, Human League, Cabaret Voltaire, 23 Skidoo, buy the upgraded, fresher, 2007 version, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars complete, 17 Mar 2008
This review is from: Sound Of Silver (Audio CD)
brilliant piece of work. intelligent, inventive and musical. it is rare to find albums without some weak tracks but this is one of them. it does not rely on the headline tracks/singles to carry the album and for those of us who like to listen to whole albums it makes a refreshing change. Better than the first album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blows Yer Socks Off ..., 16 May 2007
Mr. A. F. Caldwell "Killiefan99" (North Ayrshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Of Silver (Audio CD)
Is this dance music? I'm not sure! It's certainly not dance music in a conventional sense. It makes you move. It makes you move big time. If you manage to sit still whilst Sound of Silver is on then you should check your pulse.

I love this album, it's already one of this year's best. Every track is brilliant and insanely different to anything else I've heard since the last LCD Soundsystem album. Therefore, my recommendation is to buy, buy it now. I'd try and give you a comparison, but nobody else out there is making such earthy and eclectic music as this. A big thumbs up from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is just a Must-Have for any Indie or Electronica lover, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sound Of Silver (Audio CD)
I listen to a lot of music. Or at least I used to.

I first heard the first track on the album 'Get Innocuous' on the computer game Grand Theft Auto 4. I fell for it immediately and it enticed me to get the album solely off the back of that tune. Normally you get let down a little but the rest of the tracks but to be fair, I love them all. Love the album. Love the band. Shame I discovered them too late really.

Just get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound Of 2007, 9 Dec 2009
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sound Of Silver (Audio CD)
... not exactly designed for hit singles, LCD Soundsystem gave us a weighty release with a short number of long songs that straddled the gap between man and machine with a peculiarly sincere melancholy which sounds exactly like a sad iPod walking to work at the end of October. Heaped with a semi-optimistic splurge of retro synth squiggles and world-weary songwriting, this album slowly and infectiously became the soundtrack to a disappointing decade, built on intricate and simple motifs that bear the longevity - and endurance - of the music and the feelings within.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 23 Feb 2009
Mr. Ben Parer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Of Silver (Audio CD)
Just discovered this album and I love it. Someone mentioned consistency and I can't see a poor track in the album. My advice is buy it and enjoy. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over and over again...., 18 Jun 2008
This review is from: Sound Of Silver (Audio CD)
What an opener - listen to 'Get Innocuous' as loud as you can! And the album keeps the standard up throughout - 'Us v them' being another pinnacle. A classic.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›