5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Speakers!
My husband bought me these speakers for Xmas. The sound level and base is excellent and can easily replace your standard living room system with its power. The front is also detachable so it can be taken away with you and when you go travelling and the sound quality is still brilliant, not at all tinny!
Comes with a small ligtweight controller which is also nice if...
Published on 5 Jan 2009 by L. Raynor

3.0 out of 5 stars Gear4 duo
Published on 5 Oct 2009 by G. Foy

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Speakers!, 5 Jan 2009
L. Raynor (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GEAR4 Duo Speaker Dock for iPod with Detachable Front for Portable Use (Electronics)
Comes with a small ligtweight controller which is also nice if you can't be bothered to get up and choose your songs manually.
Don't hesitate to make this an essential purchase. 5 STARS without a doubt and at half the price, you would be silly to buy any other!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gear4 duo, 5 Oct 2009
G. Foy (UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent ipod speaker system for the price. The sound quality is excellent. The only problem is that my daughter has had two of these now and they have both developed the same fault. The connection on which you mount the ipod is very flimsy and eventual it works loose and stops working. We are now going for our 3rd one and hope that the problem does not happen again. My daughter loves it and does not want to have to change it for another design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Listening!, 15 May 2009
An extremely neat docking system with a great sound. Deceptively good sound for it's size and fits on any surface without taking up much space. Being able to detach the front speaker is particularly useful and I recently took this on holiday. Slim and light it was easy to pack and even without the charger gave hours of music time. Probably the best purchase I've made in years!

1.0 out of 5 stars It didn't work for long!, 27 May 2010
Mr. Stephen Rowson (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Well I've had one of these for about a year and it no longer works. There is some sort of dodgy connection in there - every now and then it makes a crackling sound that makes you jump out of your skin.

So, despite sounding good when it was working, it is now useless. I won't make the mistake of buying this make again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 4 Jun 2012
I adore the Gear4 Duo! I purchased it in early 2009 and haven't had a fault, and the separation of the unit is so useful. The satellite speakers have traveled with me on many trips, and have stood up to the rough and tumbles of airport security and baggage handling. The sound quality of the satellite isn't great, on par with other portable units, but the whole unit is above average at this price range.

I dropped a star because of the flimsy connector, which folds out. I appreciate that a compact travel speaker need to fold but the build isn't great, I've had other portable systems that felt far more robust.

All in all, highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars good house speaker, 2 Aug 2010
L. Taylor - See all my reviews
when i bought the speaker i thought it would be bigger but unfortunately its quite small! its just a bit larger than an A5 piece of paper... being less than 50 watts its not amazingly loud either but the bass at is good even at the lower volume...

the sound it amazing also. i use it everyday and dont ever need it full volume. the portable bit is nice, took it to Greece this summer but as there wasnt the sub woofer the sound was obviously worse and it was pretty bad.

good buy on the whole though. recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Close to damm AWESOME!, 18 May 2010
Graym (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the Gear4 Duo after returning a Logic3 WIP016K i-Station RTV which did not impress with its sound quality.
The Gear4 Duo on the other hand is fantastic, with brilliant sound that is almost as good as my Bose SoundDock and with bass that is better than the Bose. It has five speakers, 4 up front and the sub in back. I love the way that the front comes off for portable sound. I love how both the sub and satellite have power inputs and 3.5mm stereo jack inputs, so I can plug my laptop into it. Personally I don't think it's loud enough for a party but then I don't think my Bose SoundDock is either.
Sure the sound stage is quite narrow, but for the price I don't know of anything better.
The only negatives relate to build quality: the front is held on by magnets, but they don't seem to be strong enough and don't line up properly, meaning that if you don't pick it up carefully the front will fall on the floor; the dock seems flimsy and doesn't come with an iPhone dock insert (even though the Gear4 website says that it works with iPhone).
I bought this for my iPhone 3GS and it seems to work reasonably well. It charges & the remote works fine, however the airplane warning does come up each time you dock the phone and if I leave it in phone mode I do very occasionally get interference bleeps if the dock is on.
Overall though I think it's brilliant and would happily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small packag packs a punch, 15 Aug 2009
Mr. D. P. Collins (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
There are many sound docks for the iPod, not so many function with the iPhone i have found, and after settling on the Gear4ipod I am very pleased. About the size of a small toaster, it is very easy to use as an indoor sound system, delivering a crisp sound and punchy bass. The genius of the design is the front portion of the sound dock can be removed, (leaving the bass woofer behind) and you have a small, great sounding pair of speakers to pop in your jacket pocket. There is a loss of bass end, yes, but as a unit to take out on a picnic, camping or to the beach, it's superb. Plenty loud enough for a small party in your tent, it comes with a remote and optional extra battery to extend the life from 2 to 4 hours. It's also cheaper than, say, the JBL donut affair, louder and clearer, too. All in all, an excellent buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't touch it with a barge pole!!!!, 28 Oct 2010
This product was bought for me as a gift through UK Supplies. It has developed a fault whereby the satellite speaker no longer connects properly to the subwoofer, so you don't get the full unit's sound. I have only owned the unit for 7 months, and when I contacted the supplier they didn't want to know, claiming they only give a 3 month guarantee! I think most people would expect an ipod dock to last longer than that. In spite of their "A-Z guarantee" Amazon refused to get involved. We have also contacted the Chief Exec of Gear4 who hasn't even bothered to reply.

I wouldn't touch this product, or any Gear4 product or 'UK Supplies' with a barge pole as neither Gear4 or 'UK Supplies' seem to give a monkeys about their customers. I am also very disappointed and surprised by Amazon's attitude.

We are now pursuing the matter with Trading Standards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not without its faults, but buy one anyway!, 5 Jan 2013
Umbrian (San Terenziano, Umbria, Italy) - See all my reviews
Check that you Apple device has the old 30-pin connector, not the new Lightening connector before you buy this.
Sound-wise the Duo compares well with much more expensive docks - the Bose Portable, for example, so at this price, its a bargain. Something's gotta give though and, having owned one for 3 years I can tell you that 1) the dock connector is fairly poor and you can get rustles, pops and bangs if the iPod or iPhone is not adjusted just-so. 2) The tiny battery has a tendency to swell over time and bulge out of it's snug-fitting compartment. Nothing you can do but buy a new battery, which you can only do by buying the 'travel kit' - a battery and a rather shoddy plastic case, which you may not need or want.
Those points aside, the convenience of being able to carry the front speaker into the garden is great whilst it also has enough power when docked with the base to make perform well at parties.
Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.