5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Melodies
Published on 24 Jun 2011 by Sentinel

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit tinny
The content on this disc is excellent , let down by top heavy production, you have to turn treble down to really enjoy it , worth it the for the wonderfull 'Mockingbird'
Published 20 months ago by Papadok

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Melodies, 24 Jun 2011
Sentinel (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This anthology of BJH is an incredibly rich collection of instantly appealling material, culled from the best of their recording career on the 'Harvest' label. While it's not a definitive collection, it does cover the ground from early singles and through their first four albums 'Barclay James Harvest', 'Once Again', 'Other Short Stories' and 'Baby James Harvest'. While there are those who prefer their subsequent albums on Polydor, this collection is awash with classic numbers. Included is the hauntingly soulful 'She Said', with John Lees keening guitar against the swooningly beautiful backdrop of doomed love; there's the post-apocalyptic regret and loss of 'After the Day', with Woolstenholme's keyboards, and Lees despairing vocal and anguished guitar solo. There's the shimmering beauty of 'Mocking Bird' itself, the plaintive wonder of 'Early Morning', and the superbly produced mystery of 'Medicine Man'.

However, this is only a small sample of the wonders which await you here. If you're new to BJH but enjoy quality music-making combined with sensitive, meaningful lyrics, you needn't hesitate: this is music for the heart & soul. Check out the music samples if you have any doubt, then grab this outstanding bargain while you still can!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 10 Oct 2011
I remember listening to BJH in the 70's but was never really that sold on them. Nearly 40 years on I have to admit that I never gave their music enough attention. I bought this collection on the strength of Mockingbird, which I thought was their only real masterpiece. How wrong I was! This album is full of classics which are very moreish. Inspirational stuff which reminds me of Procol Harum, The Beatles and even Wishbone Ash, as well as the Moody Blues, of course! 75 minutes worth of great, eclectic music...highly recommendedMocking Bird: the Best of Barclay James Harvest

5.0 out of 5 stars My loss became my gain !!!!!, 10 Feb 2014
Mr. K. Gibbons (Rochdale, England) - See all my reviews
Many years ago I bought the first Barclay James Harvest album, and loved it. But the "relationship" never went any further - don't know why. In recent years, I have looked on Amazon to buy the CD version of that album, but for some reason it, and it alone amongst their catalogue, carries an outrageous price tag. Anyway, I guess some good came out of my decision not to buy it, because I bought this, recognising a number of tracks from that first album. And what a purchase. Fabulous, fabulous album. Buy it, you'll love it. The down side, for me, is that it made me regret not having had a longer than one album "relationship" with this quite brilliant Band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 26 Jan 2014
This is a no brainer, it will please you very much. A great Best of album, from a top band. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars music with memories, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mocking Bird: The Best Of Barclay James Harvest (MP3 Download)
so good to hear the songs from so long ago, all in good quality, keep playing it and getting to like them all over again, a romantic sound, soft and pleasing on the ear, new parents should buy it their mum and dad as a pressie

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminiscing!, 5 Sep 2013
K. Crossland - See all my reviews
A band I had vinyl's of back in the day and was good to listen to all the songs again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still trying to find a copy of my original LP, 7 Aug 2013
I bought this because I was looking for a CD of an LP I used to have with many of these songs on it. This is not the same LP but enjoyed the easy listening in the car and it brought back my teenage years.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best of barclay james harvest, 30 July 2013
Edward J Elliott (Port William,Scotland) - See all my reviews
I knew of BJH many years back but never knew how good they were or how much like the Moody Blues they are!
Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, 14 Jun 2012
A good representation of the group, I saw this group in the early seventies accompanied by a 40 piece orchestra at a festival, it was twilight and the atmosphere created was amazing this album brought back many happy memories. Very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars another great album from B, 28 Sep 2014
another great album from B.J.H not a lot to say but it's great I never seen them live
I wish I had done buy the CD.