5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Surprise
I was advised by a relative to go and see this film last October. I'd seen the trailer for it on TV and I didn't think a great deal of it. A sort of comedy scifi flick. I'd hadn't heard of Firefly, just that Serenity was a film version of that show.
Only once before have I gone into a cinema expecting so little, only to come out wanting to go see...
Published on 1 Feb 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I should have seen Firefly first
I watched this film because of all the great reviews but although it's not bad, I didn't think it was all that great. Kind of a bit like Star Wars crossed with a Western, but nothing really gripping about the characters or plot. One or two quite funny bits made me think of the machinima, Clear Skies.

I realise there's a mass of Firefly fans who think...
Published 22 months ago by John W

‹ Previous | 141 42 4363 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Buffed Up Sci-Fi, 20 May 2011
David K. Thomson "dkthomson" (Aylesbury, Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
As most people know, this is a film closure from Joss - Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Weedon's science fiction series 'Firefly'. Most sci-fi nuts will still argue that the show should never have been axed and I agree. However, 'Serenity' does well enough to finish the show because it stands so well as a stand-alone film.
I would recommend 'Firefly' to anyone that enjoys this film and 'Serenity' to anyone that enjoyed 'Firefly'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Film, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
The first time I watched this film I thought it was really good. A lot later I got the Firefly boxset and watched that, then re-watched the film and now I think it's even better. Would definitely recommend to any sci-fi fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Film!, 11 Mar 2011
D. Robinson "The Muppet" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serenity [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I've seen this film several times on DVD and even own it in that format. But after recently purchasing a blu-ray player i went looking for some 'cheaper' blu-rays. This fit the bill perfectly, and being such an awesome film, i had no problems convincing myself to part with the funds...

The quality of the film on blu-ray is immense, the jump from DVD can be easily seen, especially during the space scenes and even during the duller coloured indoor scenes. Just fantastic all-over.
I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who loves this film or even just loves the series Firefly.
Must see!

5.0 out of 5 stars Serenity Firefly, 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: Serenity [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Before you watch this film you should get the Firefly series first.(One short series, so it won't cost a fortune) You will enjoy the film without having seen the series, but it will be so much more powerful if you watch the series first - otherwise it would be like starting to read a book from the middle. A brilliant gift for anyone who likes Star Trek, Stargate, Galactica, Gattaca, Babylon 5 and such like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Film, Great TV Series., 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This is a good film, very entertaining and worth buying. I was completely unaware that the TV series its based on (Firefly) even existed. Since watching the film I have bought Firefly and consider myself a fan which is why I was so disappointed to find out that they won't be making another season.

I was told they won't be making another season as it wasn't popular enough which is a shame but hardly surprising, as everyone I have introduced the film and TV series to enjoyed them, but like me were completely unaware of their existence.

It's a good film and a great TV series that in my opinion must have been poorly marketed.

5.0 out of 5 stars wish there was more, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Serenity can be a stand alone film but is far better if it follows the viewing of the whole series of Firefly,Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003] which is how we viewed it and also how we recommended our son to view it.
The film is darker than the series with perhaps greater amounts of fighting but there are still those moments of humour that we love from the series.
The film expands on the characters especially that of River.However there is also tragedy in store for the crew.
In addition we find out how the cannibalistic Reavers came into being.
15+ viewing rating, runs for approx.1hr 54mins Extras run for 65 mins and include outtakes and deleted scenes etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic film, 21 Sep 2010
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Serenity is a fantastic film but i would recommend watching the series of firefly first. You are introduced to the characters in firefly and serenity brings it all together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fun Sci-Fi film for a while, 14 Feb 2010
Bobby (Button Moon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serenity [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Any Sci-Fi movies like this should look brilliant on Blu Ray and this doesn't disappoint. The special effects look spot on in HD and the action scenes are vibrant and clear.

Overall great film with a really enjoyable likeable cast of characters that looks fantastic on Blu Ray. Well worth upgrading your DVD.

9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Serenity Solitaire, 11 Jan 2010
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
The series of Firefly I have reviewed already and it was a shame it never ran for longer.

It is also a shame that despite the obvious (over 200 5 star reviews on Amazon alone) popularity of this film there is unlikely to be any further outings for the crew of Serenity.

What this film does have is a beautiful rounding out of some of the plot lines which never had the chance to be explained in Firefly. Especially the real reason for the Alliance pursuing River Tam so hard. Finally Summer Glau's slightly unbalanced character comes into her own and shows exactly what the series never got the chance to show. Now I can see why she was a great choice for the role of the Terminator in The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

****SPOILER ALERT****

The setting is some time after the events of the Firefly series and the rest of Mal Reynolds crew are getting quite restive about harbouring Simon and River. An Alliance Assassin is after River and then suddenly River's abilities become manifest and everything changes after that. From "petty" thieving Mal suddenly finds a quest far more worthy and thanks to Shepherd Book finds he does believe in something.

A brilliant piece of sci-fi and so much better than the Star Wars "prequels" (apologies to fans of Star Wars but Serenity is much better) this is highly recommended, and, as other reviewers have noted, you don't have to see the series first, but, believe me, you'll be glad if you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great film, 15 Aug 2009
Mr. M. Green (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serenity [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I have seen the film on DVD but had to give it back, so I bought the blu-ray version to watch all the extra features. I dont fully understand the bad reviews of this well crafted film, but I am a great fan of Star wars and other similar Scifi films.

The captain of the ship has a similar character to Han Solo. So while watching Serenity and its series Firefly(Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]), you see captain Malcom Renyolds living a day to day of smuggling and adventure while living with a group of close friends.

This version is packed with features and I would recommend it to any Scifi fan or Firefly.

And as for you browncoats, Cant Stop The Signal.

‹ Previous | 141 42 4363 | Next ›

Serenity [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Serenity [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Nathan Fillion (Blu-ray - 2009)
7.00